Art Vandelay's Pro Wrestling Ground Official Puroresu News/Discussion/Video Thread

Edited: 6/9/13 1:29 PM
1/1/01
results from the Best of the Super Juniors final courtesy of puroresufan.com

NJPW, 6/9/13 (TV Asahi ch2)
Tokyo Korakuen Hall
2,015 Fans – Super No Vacancy Full House

1. Jushin Thunder Liger, Tiger Mask, KUSHIDA, BUSHI & Titan beat Rocky Romero, Alex Koslov, Brian Kendrick, Ricochet & Baretta (7:39) when KUSHIDA used the Midnight Express on Kendrick.
2. Manabu Nakanishi & Hiromu Takahashi beat Yuji Nagata & Takaaki Watanabe (9:18) when Takahashi used a crab hold on Watanabe.
3. Hiroyoshi Tenzan, Satoshi Kojima & Captain New Japan beat Toru Yano, Takashi Iizuka & Jado (9:45) when Tenzan used the Anaconda Vice on Jado.
4. Best of the Super Jr. – Semi Final: Prince Devitt beat Kenny Omega (9:09) with a reverse Bloody Sunday.
5. Best of the Super Jr. – Semi Final: Alex Shelley beat TAKA Michinoku (10:14) with the Automatic Midnight.
6. Yujiro Takahashi & Tomohiro Ishii beat Minoru Suzuki & Taichi (11:13) when Ishii used a brainbuster on Taichi.
7. Hiroshi Tanahashi & Hirooki Goto beat Karl Anderson & Tama Tonga (8:07) when Tanahashi used the High Fly Flow on Tonga.
8. Kazuchika Okada & Gedo beat Togi Makabe & Tomoaki Honma (11:14) when Okada used the Rainmaker on Honma.
9. Best of the Super Jr. – Final: Prince Devitt beat Alex Shelley (18:25) with the Bloody Sunday.

So there would be no upset today as Prince Devitt becomes only the second person ever to win the Best of the Super Juniors with a completely unbeaten record, and the first reigning IWGP Jr Heavyweight champion to do it. To attempt to offset the presense of the rest of the Bullet Club at ringside, Shelley was cornered by KUSHIDA, Captain New Japan, and Tanahashi. All did become involved at some point in the match, and Shelley put up a valiant effort, but in the end Devitt was just too much. So the big question now is what's next for Devitt? There doesn't seem to be much left for him to prove in the Jr division, and he's made more noise about a return match against Tanahashi, so it should be a very interesting summer for Devitt and Bullet Club
6/9/13 3:42 PM
1/1/01
From what I have read, the interference in the Devitt matches really hurt them.
6/9/13 5:40 PM
1/1/01
Any outside shenanigans in a match with two guys as talented as Devitt and Shelley is probably going to detract from it to a degree, but this tournament was more about establishing Bullet Club as a force in New Japan with Devitt as a credible and dominant leader than it was about 5 star 1 on 1 classics. Mission accomplished, imo. Phone Post
6/9/13 5:51 PM
11/5/06
Grizz who was the other to go undefeated? I was trying to remember today.

They really should save Devitt needing interference for the big matches instead of every match
6/9/13 11:11 PM
11/5/06
I got it Grizz, Liger in 2001
6/9/13 11:56 PM
1/1/01
Yep, it was Liger. Though Liger was not IWGP champ when he did it, so Devitt is the only reigning IWGP champ to do it
Edited: 6/10/13 12:25 AM
1/1/01
Also, one more big difference between Devitt going undefeated this year and Liger's in 2001 is that it took Devitt 4 more matches to win the tournament than it took Liger due to the blocks being smaller in 2001 and there being no semi-finals. In 2001 the two block winners met in the championship match without a semi-final against the second place finishers in the blocks

2001 Best of the Super Juniors Final standings

Block A
Jushin Liger 10
El Samurai 6
Silver King 6
Chris Candido 4
Gran Naniwa 4
Wataru Inoue 0

Block B
Minoru Tanaka 8
Akira 6
Super Shocker 6
Dr. Wagner, Jr. 6
Shinya Makabe 4
Katsuyori Shibata 0

Finals: Jushin Thunder Liger beat Minoru Tanaka (26:12)

Total Matches for Liger = 6

2013 Best of the Super Juniors Final standings

Block A
Prince Devitt 16
Alex Shelley 10
Ricochet 10
Taichi 8
Rocky Romero 8
Jushin Liger 8
Barreta 6
Titán 6
Hiromu Takahashi 0

Block B
Ryusuke Taguchi (withdrew) 10
Kenny Omega 10
Taka Michinoku 8
Kushida 8
Alex Koslov 8
Brian Kendrick 8
Tiger Mask IV 8
Bushi 6
Jado 6

Semi-finals
Prince Devitt beat Kenny Omega (9:09)
Alex Shelley beat TAKA Michinoku (10:14)

Finals
Prince Devitt beat Alex Shelley (18:25)

Total Matches for Devitt = 10
6/10/13 12:36 AM
1/1/01
Kind of cool to look back at that 2001 tournament field also. Katsuyori Shibata, now 1/2 of Laugher7 with Saku, was still a young lion and finished with 0 points, as did Wataru Inoue who, coincidentally enough won the tournament in 2008 as IWGP Jr Heavyweight champion and then vacated to graduate to the heavyweight division, which is what most people are speculating Devitt will do as well.

Also difficult to remember Togi Makabe as a Jr heavyweight considering how big he is now, and that he's a former IWGP heavyweight champion, but there is his with 4 points in block B.

And a bit of a bummer when looking at Block A as two of them are no longer with us. RIP Candido and Gran Naniwa
6/10/13 11:45 PM
1/1/01
Card for the next New Japan iPPV has been released

NJPW "DOMINION 6.22", 22.06.2013 (WPW)
Osaka BODYMAKER COLOSSEUM

0. Jushin Thunder Liger & Tiger Mask vs. TAKA Michinoku & Taichi
1. IWGP Jr. Heavyweight Tag Team Title: Rocky Romero & Alex Koslov (c) vs. Alex Shelley & KUSHIDA
2. Yuji Nagata, Ryusuke Taguchi & Captain New Japan vs. Kal Anderson, Tama Tonga & Bad Luck Fale
3. IWGP Tag Team Title, 3 Way Match: Hiroyoshi Tenzan & Satoshi Kojima (c) vs. Lance Archer & Davey Boy Smith Jr. vs. Toru Yano & Takashi Iizuka
4. NWA World Heavyweight Title: Rob Conway (c) vs. Manabu Nakanishi
5. Shinsuke Nakamura & Tomohiro Ishii vs. Minoru Suzuki & Shelton Benjamin
6. Tetsuya Naito Return Match: Tetsuya Naito vs. Yujiro Takahashi
7. Special Singles Match: Hirooki Goto vs. Katsuyori Shibata
8. Hiroshi Tanahashi vs. Prince Devitt
9. IWGP Heavyweight Title: Kazuchika Okada (c) vs. Togi Makabe

Top of the card looks really tasty, the rest of it not so much. Tana/Devitt and the brawl that will be Okada/Makabe will make it worth the price though
6/11/13 12:03 AM
1/1/01
Post-tournament press conference from Devitt. Skip to about 8 minutes for his segment

Interesting that he says he'll beat Tana clean, with no interference from the Bullet Club, and that he won't give up the IWGP Jr title and says instead he will win the IWGP heavyweight title while still Jr champ.

The winner of Devitt/Tana will get the next title shot at the Okada/Makabe winner also. Seems like a lock that Devitt gets the win against Tana, which should give instant credibility to a heavyweight Devitt. I fully expect him to be involved in the G-1 Climax this year also
6/11/13 3:54 PM
11/5/06
He also claimed the Bullet Club didn't help during the BOSJ. They definitely are using Jericho as a model for his heel turn.

I think Okada will keep the belt and Nakamura and him will have the Chaos civil war. Devitt I see losing the IWGP jr. title and seem to be on a streak of bad luck then win the G1. He'll then face whomever beats Okada by then for the dome show.

Of course my predictions are usually way off.
6/11/13 7:08 PM
1/1/01
Stryfe - He also claimed the Bullet Club didn't help during the BOSJ. They definitely are using Jericho as a model for his heel turn.

I think Okada will keep the belt and Nakamura and him will have the Chaos civil war. Devitt I see losing the IWGP jr. title and seem to be on a streak of bad luck then win the G1. He'll then face whomever beats Okada by then for the dome show.

Sounds pretty damn good to me! Although I see Nakamura getting the IWGP title after his awesome IC run. Phone Post
6/11/13 7:36 PM
11/5/06
Tom Lawlor - 
Stryfe - He also claimed the Bullet Club didn't help during the BOSJ. They definitely are using Jericho as a model for his heel turn.

Sounds pretty damn good to me! Although I see Nakamura getting the IWGP title after his awesome IC run. Phone Post

Tom my layout for the year has potential for Nakamura to beat Okada during the Chaos feud and then that would have Devitt/Nakamura at the Dome.

I do think it will be Nakamura or Tanahashi that beats Okada meeting Devitt at the Dome Show
Edited: 6/11/13 8:26 PM
1/1/01
Any singles match between Okada and Nakamura before the Dome would be a mistake on New Japan's part, imo, unless it's the G-1 final. And while I like the idea of Devitt winning the G-1, I can't see that either. It's too much too quick and could backfire on them. Personally, I think Nakamura wins the G-1 and meets Okada at the Dome. I'd have Nakamura beat Okada in a non-title match in the G-1 finals, then build the rivalry throughout the summer/fall, including some infighting between other Chaos members as everyone chooses sides, culminating in an epic title match at the Dome.

Devitt will have a good showing in the G-1 though, probably a block runner up including one or two big wins, maybe over someone like Tana or Naito to boost his heavyweight credibility even more
6/21/13 1:07 AM
1/1/01
grizz632 - Been holding off on posting this until some concrete news came out about it, but details are still scarce so I'm rolling with what I've heard. As I posted a few weeks ago, All Japan owner Nobuo Shiraishi has taken over as president effective 6/1. There is apparently a lot of opposition to Shiraishi backstage and, as a result of his takeover as president, Keiji Muto has resigned from All Japan. His last match was going to be at the end of the month, but now it looks like the resignation is effective immediately and he is gone from All Japan. Muto put off having major knee surgery after the Kobashi retirement show so he could "return to a new place". No further elaboration was given on what he meant exactly, so people are speculating it could be either him returning to New Japan or him forming his own company. Another rumor doing the rounds is that Muto is now trying to buy back All Japan from Speedpartners, the investment group that bought them at the start of the year. Muto has said he has money to spend to try and get the company back and some resolution on that front is expected by the end of the month. There are many wrestlers in All Japan who have loyalty towards Muto, and his leaving could cause some of them to follow his lead and resign as well, depending on what Muto does next. The main ones mentioned as following him out are Kaz Hayashi and KAI, but there are other possibilities as well. So not quite a All Japan/Noah situation, but maybe something like the Noah/Burning exodus earlier this year. In any event, there's going to be a shakeup coming in All Japan, which is a bit of a shame as they've been really excellent the past year or two

Been really busy lately and have been neglecting things a bit. I'll do some more thorough updates this weekend, but in the meantime this All Japan situation is getting pretty big. With Muto resigning from the company it now appears that he will be starting his own promotion and many All Japan workers have begun choosing sides. Thus far, the following workers have announced their intentions to leave All Japan and follow Muto:

Kaz Hayashi
Shuji Kondo
Masakatsu Funaki
Ryoto Hama
KAI
Minoru Tanaka
Hiroshi Yamato
Masayuki Kono
Seiya Sanada

Also rumored to be leaving are Koji Kanemoto, Chono, and Andy Wu, though those haven't been confirmed yet. Staying loyal to All Japan as of now are:

SUWAMA
Jun Akiyama
Go Shiozaki
Yoshinobu Kanemaru
Kotaro Suzuki
Atsushi Aoki
Taiyo Kea
KENSO
SUSHI

Get Wild haven't made their intentions known yet but it's assumed they will probably stay. Either way, this is a massive hit for All Japan. Shiraishi has basically divided the locker room in two and put the future of the company in major jeopardy. Not sure where they go from here, but it doesn't look good in the short term
Edited: 6/22/13 12:06 PM
11/5/06
This pic says it all for me

photo nj062213.jpg

However the card for 7/20 where this is suppose to take place is shaping up to be real nice.

-results from Strong Spirit-

NJPW "DOMINION 6.22?, 6/22/13 (WPW/PPV/iPPV)
Osaka Prefectural Gymnasium
7,240 Fans – Super No Vacancy Full House

0. TAKA Michinoku Kaientai Dojo & Taichi beat Jushin Thunder Liger & Tiger Mask (7:09) when Taichi used a Taichi- Gedo clutch on Tiger.
1. IWGP Jr. Heavyweight Tag Team Title: Rocky Romero & Alex Koslov (c) beat KUSHIDA & Alex Shelley (13:09) when Romero pinned KUSHIDA after the Contract Killer (1st defense).
2. Karl Anderson, Tama Tonga & Bad Luck Fale beat Yuji Nagata, Ryusuke Taguchi & Captain New Japan (8:19) when Fale used the Grenade on Captain.
3. IWGP Tag Team Title – 3WAY Match: Hiroyoshi Tenzan & Satoshi Kojima (c) beat Toru Yano & Takashi Iizuka and Lance Archer & Davey Boy Smith Jr. (11:50) when Kojima used a lariat on Archer (1st defense).
4. NWA World Heavyweight Title: Rob Conway NWA (c) beat Manabu Nakanishi (8:32) with the Ego Trip.
5. Minoru Suzuki & Shelton Benjamin beat Shinsuke Nakamura & Tomohiro Ishii (12:36) when Benjamin used the Paydirt on Nakamura.
6. Tetsuya Naito Return Match: Tetsuya Naito beat Yujiro Takahashi (15:01) with a Stardust press.
7. Special Singles Match: Katsuyori Shibata beat Hirooki Goto (13:16) with a PK.
8. Prince Devitt beat Hiroshi Tanahashi (15:33) with the Bloody Sunday.
9. IWGP Heavyweight Title: Kazuchika Okada (c) beat Togi Makabe (25:04) with the Rainmaker (2nd defense).

* "Rainmaker" Kazuchika Okada retained his IWGP Heavyweight Title against Togi Makabe before a packed house in Osaka tonight. In an exciting match, Okada overcame a really tough challenge from the former champion and after spiking Makabe with a tombstone piledriver, finished him off with the Rainmaker to conclude a 25 minute war. Okada was immediately challenged by Bullet Club leader Prince Devitt who is set for his first ever shot at the IWGP Heavyweight Title after picking up the biggest win of his career in the semi final. Devitt, the IWGP Jr. Heavyweight Champion and Best of the Super Jr. winner, has completely dominated and conquered the junior division so facing Tanahashi, the face of the company, was a real test of his credentials in the heavyweight division. Unlike most of his junior matches, Devitt couldn't beat Tanahashi without help but did beat him after help from Anderson and Fale, a second Bloody Sunday getting the job done and securing a momentous victory for the Irishman. Okada vs. Devitt looks set to happen at the pre-G1 big show on 7/20 and will determine who enters pro wrestling's biggest tournament as IWGP Heavyweight Champion. Okada "reverse" challenged Devitt asking that Gedo get a shot at his IWGP Jr. Heavyweight Title.

* After their double KO last month, former university friends Hirooki Goto and Katsuyori Shibata went at it again in a match that has people raving. In an intense stiff war that saw them trade vicious headbutts, Shibata weakened Goto with a sleeper hold before landing a PK for the big win. Shibata's Laughter7 tag partner Kazushi Sakuraba announced on the show that he will a return from injury on 7/20 and challenged Nagata to a singles match!

* Tetsuya Naito returned from a very long injury absence against the man who put him on the shelf, former NO LIMIT tag partner Yujiro Takahashi. This was a difficult return match for Naito which Yujiro largely dominated, but Naito's fighting spirit saw him come back and win with a Stardust press. Much will be expected of Naito in the coming months.

* The NWA Invasion continued with Rob Conway's second NWA World Heavyweight Title defense on a New Japan show. After defeating Kojima earlier this year he today faced another third generation veteran, Manabu Nakanishi. Conway defeated Nakanishi with his Ego Trip (elevated DDT) and New Japan has still yet to throw anyone at him who can bring the historic NWA World Heavyweight Title to the company.

* The IWGP Tag Team Title was again contested by multiple teams as Tenzan & Kojima (IWGP Tag Team Champions) made a successful V1 defense of their belts against Yano & Iizuka (GHC Tag Team Champions) and the Killer Elite Squad (NWA World Tag Team Champions). Archer & Smith Jr., who were very unlucky to lose the belts last month in a 4WAY Match as neither was pinned, had the match won but the referee was knocked out. TenKoji took advantage of this, Kojima nailing Archer with a lariat for the win. Yano did what Yano does and stole the belts after the match.

* The TIME SPLITTERS vs. Forever Hooligan series continued with yet another addition to this entertaining if slightly overdone series. Having won the IWGP Jr. Tag Team Title back last month, Romero & Koslov were able to prevent another title switch as they successfully defended the belts against KUSHIDA & Shelley with Rocky pinning KUSHIDA.
6/22/13 12:11 PM
1/1/01
While things are falling apart in All Japan, New Japan just keeps rolling. Results from the Dominion PPV courtesy of puroresufan.com

NJPW "DOMINION 6.22?, 6/22/13 (WPW/PPV/iPPV)
Osaka Prefectural Gymnasium
7,240 Fans – Super No Vacancy Full House

0. TAKA Michinoku Kaientai Dojo & Taichi beat Jushin Thunder Liger & Tiger Mask (7:09) when Taichi used a Taichi- Gedo clutch on Tiger.
1. IWGP Jr. Heavyweight Tag Team Title: Rocky Romero & Alex Koslov (c) beat KUSHIDA & Alex Shelley (13:09) when Romero pinned KUSHIDA after the Contract Killer (1st defense).
2. Karl Anderson, Tama Tonga & Bad Luck Fale beat Yuji Nagata, Ryusuke Taguchi & Captain New Japan (8:19) when Fale used the Grenade on Captain.
3. IWGP Tag Team Title – 3WAY Match: Hiroyoshi Tenzan & Satoshi Kojima (c) beat Toru Yano & Takashi Iizuka and Lance Archer & Davey Boy Smith Jr. (11:50) when Kojima used a lariat on Archer (1st defense).
4. NWA World Heavyweight Title: Rob Conway NWA (c) beat Manabu Nakanishi (8:32) with the Ego Trip.
5. Minoru Suzuki & Shelton Benjamin beat Shinsuke Nakamura & Tomohiro Ishii (12:36) when Benjamin used the Paydirt on Nakamura.
6. Tetsuya Naito Return Match: Tetsuya Naito beat Yujiro Takahashi (15:01) with a Stardust press.
7. Special Singles Match: Katsuyori Shibata beat Hirooki Goto (13:16) with a PK.
8. Prince Devitt beat Hiroshi Tanahashi (15:33) with the Bloody Sunday.
9. IWGP Heavyweight Title: Kazuchika Okada (c) beat Togi Makabe (25:04) with the Rainmaker (2nd defense).

Lots going on here. A big comeback win for Naito after being on the shelf most of last year over his former NO LIMIT partner Yujiro. Nice win for Shibata over Goto also. After the match, Shibata's Laugher7 teammate Sakuraba announced that he'll return from his injury at the next big show on 7/20 and challenged Yuji Nagata. Also on that show will be Okada's next IWGP title defense which will be against Prince Devitt. After his huge win over Tana in the semi, Devitt earned the right to challenge for the title and came out after Okada's war with Makabe to issue the challenge. Okada accepted and, in the process, challenged Devitt to defend his IWGP Jr title against Gedo. The 7/20 show is the last big one prior to the kickoff of the G-1 Climax in August
6/22/13 6:26 PM
1/1/01
Live action Tiger Mask movie is on the way

I think the question will not be whether or not it will suck, but rather how much it will suck
6/22/13 6:56 PM
11/5/06
Flashback question for the Puroresu experts. I was trying to remember the guy Hayabusa chose as his successor and I could not remember what the guy's name was. Used the same moveset almost.
6/26/13 9:00 AM
11/5/06
Stryfe - Flashback question for the Puroresu experts. I was trying to remember the guy Hayabusa chose as his successor and I could not remember what the guy's name was. Used the same moveset almost.

I got the answer to my question. Thanks to anyone that tried looking
8/4/13 11:56 PM
1/1/01
ivp should just start making extra copies of this year's G-1 shows already. going to be a hot seller.
10/13/13 2:15 AM
12/22/10

stacked card tommorow

IWGP Junior Heavyweight Tag Team Title Match
Singles Match
Singles Match
Singles Match
NEVER Openweight Title / IWGP Heavyweight Title #1 Contendership Match
IWGP Intercontinental Title Match
IWGP Heavyweight Title Match

10/13/13 2:16 AM
12/22/10

also

New Japan today held a press conference with DDT to announce something unprecedented. One of Japan’s most exciting junior heavyweights and a recent IWGP Jr. Heavyweight Champion, Kota Ibushi, is now officially a New Japan wrestler! But… he’s also a DDT wrestler! 

Yes, Ibushi will be the first ever wrestler to belong to two organisations by joining New Japan while also staying with DDT who he has remained loyal to despite his “big league” talent. Ibushi confirmed he will focus on being a New Japan junior for now despite an admirable performance in the G1 Climax against heavyweights, which should enliven a junior division thoroughly dominated by Prince Devitt.

Ibushi will debut as a New Japan wrestler as “X” in the New Japan vs. Bullet Club six man tag match at Sumo Hall on 10/14. Don’t be surprised if this resurrects the Ibushi vs. Devitt rivalry.

10/13/13 3:55 PM
11/5/06
I believe the six man is meant to start the feud between Devitt and Ibushi
10/13/13 5:27 PM
4/29/02
UGCTT_OBEY - 

also

New Japan today held a press conference with DDT to announce something unprecedented. One of Japan’s most exciting junior heavyweights and a recent IWGP Jr. Heavyweight Champion, Kota Ibushi, is now officially a New Japan wrestler! But… he’s also a DDT wrestler! 

Yes, Ibushi will be the first ever wrestler to belong to two organisations by joining New Japan while also staying with DDT who he has remained loyal to despite his “big league” talent. Ibushi confirmed he will focus on being a New Japan junior for now despite an admirable performance in the G1 Climax against heavyweights, which should enliven a junior division thoroughly dominated by Prince Devitt.

Ibushi will debut as a New Japan wrestler as “X” in the New Japan vs. Bullet Club six man tag match at Sumo Hall on 10/14. Don’t be surprised if this resurrects the Ibushi vs. Devitt rivalry.

Badass. I only really watch NJPW so I hope he brings Kenny Omega over, too.

His match against Nakamura in the G1 Climax was balls-out awesome. It tends to get lost in the discussion because of the 5-star Shibata-Ishii match from the same night.