Art Vandelay's Pro Wrestling Ground Official Puroresu Thread 2: Electric Boogaloo

10/15/14 10:40 PM
1/1/01
The main reason I think Nakamura retains is they generally don't hot shot the belts around and Nakamura only won the IC title back less than a month ago. Seems a bit quick to take it off him again, but Shibata would be a good choice Phone Post 3.0
10/15/14 11:02 PM
11/5/06
A little trivia question I need answered. I've watch Puroresu for about all my life and one of my favorites is Masato Tanaka. However being a fan of his from way back in FMW days I was never sure exactly what "Dangan" means. Can someone help?
10/15/14 11:17 PM
11/11/11
Dangan is the Japanese word for bullet Phone Post 3.0
Edited: 10/15/14 11:19 PM
11/5/06
Thank you BearStare, VU coming your way in a few hours
10/15/14 11:20 PM
1/1/01
Yep, it's bullet, which was his nickname in FMW Phone Post 3.0
10/16/14 12:18 AM
11/11/11
I may have mentioned this in the previous thread but am I crazy for thinking ohtani and tanaka totally wasted their careers? They both had potential to be major players and instead wasted it all on zero- one. Originally maybe it seemed like a good idea but it went majorly downhill. Can't help but think ohtani could have been a main player in njpw and held the heavy weight strap Phone Post 3.0
10/16/14 12:55 AM
11/5/06
TheBearStare - I may have mentioned this in the previous thread but am I crazy for thinking ohtani and tanaka totally wasted their careers? They both had potential to be major players and instead wasted it all on zero- one. Originally maybe it seemed like a good idea but it went majorly downhill. Can't help but think ohtani could have been a main player in njpw and held the heavy weight strap Phone Post 3.0

You could throw Kanemoto in there as well as far as not living up to potential.

Zero-one was a great promotion back when Hashimoto was running it IMO. I'm still amazed Masato isn't a bigger player than what he is to this day.
10/16/14 1:00 AM
12/22/10
Meltzer recently brought up something that I didn't even think about

Since the ppv will be in us most U.S. PPVs are only limited like 4 hours and the Tokyo dome is usually around 5-6 does this mean that there will be fewer matches or are matches going to need to be quicker which really takes away from a lot of those 5 star classics
Will they do like a pre show and show the first few matches on TV in Japan and then start the official ppv a few matches in?

On a side note meltzer was thinking that the okada/tanahashi match should be a 60min draw but with the ppv constraints he didn't think it would happen Phone Post 3.0
10/16/14 1:14 AM
11/5/06
Just a guess but I imagine that there will be fewer matches. Although NJPW has drunk some of the Jeff Jarrett Kool-Aid I don't see them changing their format for US PPV time expectations.

One thing I've wondered if it is going to be live (haven't read or attempted to find). If it is going to be tape delayed they'll cut it up to fit I would guess
10/16/14 1:28 AM
1/1/01
Live would mean around a 3am start time on the east coast, GFW won't do that I'm sure. If I had to guess, NJPW will do their standard Dome show and it will be cut down for American PPV and shown in prime time that night Phone Post 3.0
10/17/14 4:04 AM
11/11/11
Am I imagining things? Has there been a shift at least in njpw in making finishers more like wwe? I don't watch everything but thats a major observation. I feel like I only see people using their one major finisher to end all their matches. On top of that they all have fancy names for their moves. Inititally I thought the rainmaker was a unique case(though I know its still heavily protected) but it seems consistent with everyone. I want matches ending with lariats, Dragon suplexes, Germans, powerbombs along with the patented specialities. I always loved that no frills aspect of puro. Everything has a fancy name now too. How lame Phone Post 3.0
10/18/14 7:48 AM
1/1/01
A shift over what period of time? Guys have always had finishers and signature moves they ended matches with going way back. I think you're right that the percentage of matches ending with a finishing move has gone up a lot, especially at the top of the card. You’ll see undercard matches end with more standard power moves more often than the bigger matches. I don't think it's been a noticeably bad thing though. One thing I'd like to see come back a bit more is the concept of a "big match finisher". Back in the day, if Kobashi couldn't put you down with a mooonsault or lariat, then there was always an orange crush or burning hammer in his back pocket. He used them so rarely that there was always a buzz of anticipation in the crowd when he went for one. A bunch of guys today could benefit from a move like that, Tanahashi in particular. You may see 3-4 High Fly Flows before he puts the guy down for good. Having a big match finish would enhance those matches I think Phone Post 3.0
10/18/14 10:28 AM
10/25/09
Thanks for making this, grizz. I had an amazing time watching the G1 this year and am definitely looking forward to watching some more.

I'm really stoked for that Nakamura Shibata match. Phone Post 3.0
10/18/14 1:34 PM
11/11/11
Grizz...glad it's not in my head. Yeah I know wrestlers have always had their finishers but like you said in the main event scene they are mainly sticking to that move only. I get so confused why tanahashi wins with only repeated high flow flow now when he used to also win with Dragon Suplexes and slingblades as well. Okada I get at least cause the rainmaker is so protected. Definitely agree A big finisher should be introduced for intense situations. I don't get why they would make this overall simplification. I think it dumbs down the match structure. It knocks down the credibility of near falls. Phone Post 3.0
10/18/14 2:08 PM
1/1/01
The sling blade has devolved to a momentum shifting move and a setup move, which I'm ok with. It works really well in that capacity. I know I've seen him use the dragon suplex as a finish relatively recently, but I watch so much stuff I can't recall the event. The way he's used the High Fly Flow has really devalued it in my eyes. It's not much of a finisher if you have to hit it multiple times consecutively in virtually every match. If he retains at the Dome, it would be the perfect opportunity to debut a new move. Phone Post 3.0
10/18/14 2:17 PM
11/5/06
I think if Tanahashi retains at the Dome show it will be with more heelish (for NJPW) tactics. He has shown that side a few times back when first facing Devitt and in the tag match with Naito against Okada and Nakamura and even some of the problems with Goto teaming with Shibata.
10/18/14 6:14 PM
11/8/12
Arigato, grizz-san! Phone Post 3.0
10/18/14 6:57 PM
12/22/10
Stryfe - I think if Tanahashi retains at the Dome show it will be with more heelish (for NJPW) tactics. He has shown that side a few times back when first facing Devitt and in the tag match with Naito against Okada and Nakamura and even some of the problems with Goto teaming with Shibata.
When he faked the injury vs okada at invasion attack(I think) it was amazing it really boosted the story and rivalry between the 2 Phone Post 3.0
10/18/14 7:03 PM
1/1/01
Noah held the opening show of their annual "Global League" tournament at Korakuen Hall today. Lots of involvment from other promotions, including 2 reps from NJPW, Big Japan kingpin Daisuke Sekimoto, and gaijin reps Hero and Cabana. Top of the card looks pretty good, especially the main event with Nakajima getting a pin on the current GHC Heavyweight Champion, so I'll try and post it here when it surfaces online

NOAH "GLOBAL LEAGUE 2014", 18.10.2014 (G+)
Tokyo Korakuen Hall
1,400 Fans

1. 3 Way Match: Super Crazy over Pesadilla & Hitoshi Kumano (4:02) with the Sorpresa on Kumano.
2. Takeshi Morishima, Kenou & Hajime Ohara over Taiji Ishimori, Atsushi Kotoge & Mitsuhiro Kitamiya (6:36) Morishima over Kitamiya with a Backdrop Suplex.
3. GHC Jr. Heavyweight Title Skirmish: Mikey Nicholls, Zack Sabre Jr. & Colt Cabana over Daisuke Harada, Quiet Storm & Genba Hirayanagi (7:52) Sabre over Hirayanagi with a Modified Chickenwing Hold.
4. Global League - Block B: Maybach Taniguchi [2] over Mohammed Yone [0] (8:23) with the Maybach Press.
5. Global League - Block A: Daisuke Sekimoto [2] over Akitoshi Saito [0] (10:30) with a German Suplex Hold.
6. Global League - Block A: Shane Haste [2] over Satoshi Kojima [0] (11:43) with the Bomb Valley Death.
7. Global League - Block B: Yuji Nagata [2] over Chris Hero [0] (13:23) with a Backdrop Hold.
8. Global League - Block B: Masato Tanaka [2] over Takashi Sugiura [0] (15:30) with the Sliding D.
9. Global League - Block A: Katsuhiko Nakajima [2] over Naomichi Marufuji [0] (19:41) with a Diamond Bomb.

Block A
-------
Daisuke Sekimoto (Big Japan) - 2
Shane Haste - 2
Katsuhiko Nakajima (Diamond Ring) - 2
Akitoshi Saito - 0
Satoshi Kojima (New Japan) - 0
Naomichi Marufuji - 0
Takeshi Morishima - 0
Colt Cabana - 0

Block B
-------
Maybach Taniguchi - 2
Yuji Nagata (New Japan) - 2
Masato Tanaka (Zero-1) - 2
Mohammed Yone - 0
Chris Hero - 0
Takashi Sugiura - 0
Mikey Nichols - 0
Quiet Storm - 0
10/18/14 7:14 PM
12/22/10
Got to see Zack Sabre Jr. For the first time in this years bola kid is incredible is he a regular at Noah or does he wrestle there every so often? Phone Post 3.0
Edited: 10/18/14 7:27 PM
1/1/01
He's pretty regular in Noah, been working for them off and on for years now. Not a full time roster member like TMDK are now, but he's on most tours they do. He was Jr tag champ two separate times earlier this year. If you haven't seen any of his Noah work, check out this match with Ishimori from last year. Probably his best match in Japan to date. Match starts around 6 minutes in

10/18/14 7:44 PM
1/1/01
Also, it's not from Japan but I enjoyed the hell out of this match from Zach Sabre Jr also, so here you go

Progress Wrestling 13 - Zach Sabre Jr vs Prince Devitt

10/18/14 8:49 PM
11/11/11
Big fan of sabre. Got to see him live at bola as well. Look forward to these Phone Post 3.0
10/18/14 9:17 PM
1/1/01
grizz632 - Also, the next big Wrestle-1 show looks pretty interesting. They pulled together a pretty nice card for Muto's 30th anniversary

WRESTLE-1 "KEIJI MUTO 30TH ANNIVERSARY ~ HOLD OUT", 01.11.2014
Tokyo Ryogoku Kokugikan

1. AKIRA & Manabu Soya vs. Ryouji Sai & KAZMA SAKAMOTO
2. WRESTLE-1 vs. Novus: Yasufumi Nakanoue, Daiki Inaba, Seiki Yoshioka & Hiroki Murase vs. Yusuke Kodama, Koji Doi, Jiro "Ikemen" Kuroshio & Rionne Fujiwara
3. Ryota Hama, Andy Wu & El Hijo del Pantera vs. Yoshihiro Takayama, NOSAWA Rongai & MAZADA
4. Hiroshi Yamato vs. LEONA
5. KAI vs. X
6. WRESTLE-1 vs. TNA: Kaz Hayashi, Shuji Kondo & Minoru Tanaka vs. Robbie E , Jesse Godderz & DJ Z
7. WRESTLE-1 vs. DESPERADO vs. TNA 3 Way Match: Seiya Sanada vs. TAJIRI vs. Matt Hardy
8. Special Singles Match: Masakatsu Funaki vs. Alberto Del Rio
9. WRESTLE-1 Title: Masayuki Kono (c) vs. Keiji Muto

KAI showed up at the Zero-1 show at Korakuen Hall yesterday and issued a challenge to Masato Tanaka to be his opponent for the Muto 30th anniversary Wrestle-1 show, which Tanaka accepted. So the card looks to be finalized and match 5 will be Wrestle-1 vs Zero-1, KAI vs Masato Tanaka
10/19/14 1:40 AM
1/1/01
grizz632 - The playlist didn't really embed, so here's the big matches individually

IWGP Jr Tag Team Championship: TimeSplitters (C) vs Young Bucks vs Forever Hooligans

IWGP Jr Heavyweight Championship: Ryusuke Taguchi (C) vs El Desperado

NEVER Openweight Championship: Yujiro Takahashi (C) vs Tomohiro Ishii

CHAOS (Shinsuke Nakamura and YOSHI HASHI) vs Meiyu Tag (Hirooki Goto & Katsuyori Shibata)

#1 Contender for Tokyo Dome Title Match: Kazuchika Okada vs Tetsuya Naito

IWGP Heavyweight Championship: AJ Stiles (C) vs Hiroshi Tanahashi

VU, thanks for posting these.

What was the deal with Okada? Did he screw up slightly selling the slap that knocked him down? It looked like a delayed reaction. Great match, even though I can't stand listening to people who don't speak English. Okada and Naito were both great, but I don't like a short arm clothesline as a finisher for Okada- he's not exactly Stan Hansen, Nikita Koloff, or Rick Steiner.