Art Vandelay's Pro Wrestling Ground Official WWE: Survivor Series Theead

Edited: 18 days ago
7/12/12

My first network show in a year and a half, and the first where I didn't skip any matches in many years* (* skipped 10 min of the women's triple threat).

I thought it was a great show. The secondary title triple threat was the highlight of the night for me, just a beautifully arranged, action-packed affair. Nice to see Strong come out on top in his first WWE big time network special, after seeing him live so many times during his at least 12 years toiling in ROH, where as the years went by it seemed like a night like this would never arrive. Must be a wonderful night for him.

All three main title matches delivered big as well, for my money, especially Cole vs. Dunne. Enjoyed what they went with for Brock vs. Rey (aside from the Bozo tribute, very out of place with the match buildup), lots of fun and a great nearfall off the frog splashes, the true main event. Fiend vs. Bryan was exactly what it should've been, imo. If The Fiend had kicked out of Bryan's pin attempts at one, I'd feel different, but I think it was all appropriately done. I felt like there was an edge of seat atmosphere throughout the match and actually enjoyed the slower pace. Everything feels meaningful in a Fiend match to me.

The women's elimination match was much better put together than the men's, as they somehow avoided the sorts of easy pins/submissions that never happen in regular matches, and it was a nice showcase for the fresh NXT talents, while everyone had their moment. The men's match had a ton of easy eliminations (I dont mind a couple, but jeez), and Roman going over could be seen a mile away. I thought Seth would turn with how much they (incl. Seth) foreshadowed a Kevin turn. Still loved how the match went from when it was down to the final four, to Lee having his coming out party one on one with THE BIG DOG.

Women's triple threat at the end was solid from what I saw, but naturally bringing up the rear, and as such absurd as the main event, absent a major angle. Fans actually chanted "This is awful" at one point which I find unwarrantedly disrespectful during a well-worked match, or anything that's not a total shitshow. Thought they were firing up the Horsewomen vs. Horsewomen angle when Becky started attacking Shayna at the end, hoped Rousey would flash onto the scene setting off total mayhem and almost expected it, but it was just so the Beckster could stand tall I guess, for now.

18 days ago
1/1/01
yeah, I have some obvious complaints about the show, but all in all I think that was the best PPV in a minute.
18 days ago
2/4/06
RKing85 - Waytt has survived McKamey Manor (google it)

Where'd you hear this bullshit? There is no surviving. They just beat the shit out of you until you quit. Guy that runs it is a sociopathic snake oil salesman.

18 days ago
1/1/01

Corey Graves is getting deystroyed on social media. Meltzer even just sat his ass down.

Edited: 18 days ago
1/1/01

17 days ago
1/1/01
Ebony - 
RKing85 - Waytt has survived McKamey Manor (google it)

Where'd you hear this bullshit? There is no surviving. They just beat the shit out of you until you quit. Guy that runs it is a sociopathic snake oil salesman.

Obviously he hasn't. Just felt like the right thing to say in the moment.
17 days ago
1/1/01
Koma - 

Corey Graves is getting deystroyed on social media. Meltzer even just sat his ass down.

Alvarez did as well.

Wonder if Corey and Seth could get a group rate on a class on social media etiquette.
17 days ago
7/12/12

Such an overreaction to this Corey BS, he shouldn't have done it in consideration of Mauro's issues, but it's nothing warranting more than a private apology for airing an impulsive criticism on social media and maybe a bit of butt smooching Mauro's incredible skills along with it.

I also counted two rap references by Graves at SS, lol. Saying Ali was "feeling some type of way" as he dove, and also dropping a "one more time for old time's sake" later on, which could be nothing but I think it was a reference to an Eminem song, haha.

Edited: 17 days ago
7/12/12

Back to Survivor Series, and also commentary related, it was funny when Lawler was calling Sharai and LaRae's return after absence "unsportsmanlike" when there was no difference between what they did and standing on the apron out of the fray while other team members competed in the match. On that note, you wonder about the point of the fake injury from the standpoint of the Sharai and LaRae characters, but I guess we're not supposed to give it that much thought, lol.

17 days ago
2/29/16

That arena was tiny!

Survivor Series didn't look like a big 4 at all.

16 days ago
2/29/16

I actually liked the Rey vs. Brock match.