8 days ago
1/28/20

Really digging this character in AEW so I went on youtube to watch some of his old matches. All of these videos came up of people debating whether or not he is good for wrestling. A lot of people think all of the play kicks and wrestling with his hands in his pockets is making a mockery out of professional wrestling and this is ''bad for the sport.'' Cornette in particular hates the character and thinks it's a joke that AEW has him on their roster.

I guess my question is, does anyone here feel this way. The other question I would ask is, do the people who think this makes a mockery of the sport ever get laid. ''Professional wrestling'' is entertainment and some of the greatest performers of all time were average at best in the ring, but got over big time with the fans because of their character. This dude is over big time and entertaining as hell to watch and the idea that that is bad for wrestling tells me that some people take the shit WAY too seriously.

8 days ago
10/8/07

I can see both sides of the argument. I mean yeah it is silly but he's not wrestling every week or going over anyone he shouldn't be. He's just a (very over) comedy act.

Now if he starts being in competitive matches with the likes of Jericho and Moxley and PAC I'd have more of a problem with it.

8 days ago
2/4/05

He is probably the hottest act in AEW and they use him sparingly and thus don't over saturate his character to the audience. 

His crowd pops are insane. 

8 days ago
1/1/01

Ever since I saw him in that Battle Royale I was hooked.  I think he's great for wrestling.  Something different.  Check out his match against Swoggle and Kylie Rae on YouTube, some good stuff.  Also I'm not delusional in thinking that his character as is, is world title ready but he could evolve down the line.  He has potential to grow.

8 days ago
1/22/05

He's hilarious. One of the most over guys in AEW right now.

8 days ago
3/19/09

Hes great.

8 days ago
8/19/03

I'm not personally a fan of the gimmick, but I don't hold it against Cassidy, in particular.   He didn't create situation, he's a product of something that happened long before he ever laced up a pair of boots.

My viewpoint on wrestling is that yes, everyone knows its "fake", but that doesn't mean the product cant be presented with some degree of credibility.   The longterm issue is that if you have a guy like Cassidy doing what he's doing, you can't reasonably expect to come back two matches later on down the line and have it be believable, with solid storytelling and the suspense that creates a great match.   That doesn't seem to be what AEW is after, anyway, so maybe my point is moot.

Maybe I'm just a dinosaur.   Just not really a fan of it.  Again, nothing against Cassidy.  The internet ruined the wrestling business, not just one guy.

8 days ago
3/7/05

I like OC, I think he is funny. But yes, it is not a great look for pro wrestling. In a lower mid card spot, as essentially a manager I think it is ok. AEW has had him get destroyed by upper card guys like Pac. It is WAY worse when the opponent actually sells the 'super' kicks.

8 days ago
4/24/14

The bit with him randomly chillin in that bathroom was brilliant. 

8 days ago
11/11/11

Ive been a strong advocate that hes their gateway to attracting a wider audience. Push him to be an internet meme that goes viral. Post on youtube vignettes of him doing action hero shit(winning bar fights, stopping bank robberies, wooing the ladies, slam dunking a ball, etc.) All with his hands in his pockets and him being totally nonchalant about everything.

8 days ago
7/13/09

I think Cornette's absolutely right that some of the Indy comedy wrestling that got over in small venues doesn't translate as well on TV. I think this gets the bitchmade millenial AEW crowds panties in a bunch. Cody was just doing an interview with Meltzer yesterday where he was saying he's an oldschool Southern wrestling fan, doesn't always get the other guys stuff and then gave Cornette credit in his record keeping. So dudes not as crazy as they want to say he is. 

I think Cornettes absolutely wrong in saying guys like Marko Stunt or Pockets Cassidy have no place in the business. They're funny and there's always been a place for funny in pro wrestling. Stunt is a modern day Spike Dudley and Pockets is just cool. 

I also think OP is probably an incel who can't get laid and wants some positive reinforcement. It's OK OP, lots of short bus incels in rasslin, you'll catch a dude just get out to some shows. 

8 days ago
2/29/16

If he showed up in WWE he would get a huge pop.

He really has to start wrestling though. Lol.

8 days ago
7/13/09
TheBearStare -

Ive been a strong advocate that hes their gateway to attracting a wider audience. Push him to be an internet meme that goes viral. Post on youtube vignettes of him doing action hero shit(winning bar fights, stopping bank robberies, wooing the ladies, slam dunking a ball, etc.) All with his hands in his pockets and him being totally nonchalant about everything.

They could remake the old Mr.Perfect vignettes. Have him throwing a touchdown to himself without ever taking his hands out. He kicks the ball and catches it. He slips the pool cue between his arms and clears the table. That'd be fun.

8 days ago
3/9/07

Wrestling is a variety show in a sense.  There's a place for comedy, even NJPW has Yano.

8 days ago
11/11/11
JJitsu -
TheBearStare -

They could remake the old Mr.Perfect vignettes. Have him throwing a touchdown to himself without ever taking his hands out. He kicks the ball and catches it. He slips the pool cue between his arms and clears the table. That'd be fun.

Exactly what i had in mind

Yeah he definitely needs to win matches. Otherwise he is goinf to look like a goof

8 days ago
6/9/16

Looks like Daniel Bryan's cooler younger brother.

8 days ago
1/1/01

He's going to be even more over once he starts wrestling more. The guy can go, excellent worker 

7 days ago
6/22/12

Just wait for the pop when he pulls his hands from his pockets and beats the shit out of someone

7 days ago
6/22/12

Hes on the newest episode of BTE and has a damn funny skit

7 days ago
4/18/02

He's grown on me especially the zero50 splash , interested to see him actually work 

7 days ago
5/3/02

7 days ago
1/1/01
grizz632 -

He's going to be even more over once he starts wrestling more. The guy can go, excellent worker 

I remember him as "Fire Ant" when he was a member of "The Colony"(along with Drew Gulak). He actually was an amazing worker!  Wonder if this gimmick is a result of injury?

7 days ago
12/16/10

I find him hilarious and at the moment AEW are using him. Fantastically well.

If he is ever pushed into anything other than a comedy valet I may think different 

7 days ago
10/21/13

Needs to wrestle imo, as others have stated. 

7 days ago
3/9/07
dennis5 -
grizz632 -

I remember him as "Fire Ant" when he was a member of "The Colony"(along with Drew Gulak). He actually was an amazing worker!  Wonder if this gimmick is a result of injury?

Saw a bit on him and he basically said he didn't feel he was getting anywhere as just another indy guy so he came up with the Orange Cassidy gimmick to stand out.