Art Vandelay's Pro Wrestling Ground Report: NXT Set to Go Live, Increase to Two Hours

16 days ago
12/1/11

According to a report in the latest Wrestling Observer Newsletter, NXT moving to FS1 is essentially a done deal. The black and yellow brand is reportedly also moving to a live television platform and will be increasing their show to a 2-hour program.

This well, of course, directly counterprogram All Elite Wrestling, which will begin on TNT in the same slot Wednesday, October 4th, 2019.

According to the Observer, nothing is official until the announcement is made, but it’s far enough along that FOX told some affiliates already.

It is unknown whether NXT will continue to emanate from Full Sail University or not. Internally, WWE reportedly feels like they have the edge on AEW because they have a very deep roster of superstars that they can continue to shuffle in and out of their Wednesday night show.

16 days ago
9/22/16

I think we're all in agreement: Nothing says "I'm not watching AEW" like NXT promoting Bianca Belair vs Shayna Bayzler.

Vince knows what we want. You can tell from the soaring ratings of Raw and Smackdown.

16 days ago
3/9/07

I don't think this is a good idea.  NXT has always gotten by by being pretaped and a short show.  It allowed them to edit their greener wrestlers and not over expose their stars.  And quite frankly they're a little light on must see talent right now. 

16 days ago
9/22/16
gooner666 -

I don't think this is a good idea.  NXT has always gotten by by being pretaped and a short show.  It allowed them to edit their greener wrestlers and not over expose their stars.  And quite frankly they're a little light on must see talent right now. 

Yep.

Do you watch NXT UK? I downloaded an event for their women's number one contender battle royal... Holy shit. It was like two incompentent broads, then a bunch of Denny's waitresses and unemployed single moms. Brutally bad.

NXT is light on talent right now. Vince called everyone up, killed their heat, and left the cupboard bare. Sending talent back down to hurt AEW, after Vince has already hurt their characters, is just going to backfire.

Edited: 16 days ago
9/24/18

I can see this resulting in Vince being far more involved in NXT day to day, which is NOT good for them. 

16 days ago
1/1/01
I'll admit that I don't watch NXT every week - I'd say I average 3 weeks out of the month.

One of the things I like about it is that we *don't* see the same faces every single week. When someone is on, it's more special.

And when they show video packages hyping up a match or whatever, it makes them mean a little more, too.

If they stretch to two hours, they'll have to not only show people every week, but show damn near everyone.

The ONLY thing that could make these even remotely work would be if they took a bunch of main roster talent that people wanna see more of (but they never put on TV) and send them back to NXT.

I'd be more than Ok to see Bobby Roode, Zack Ryder, EC3, The Revival, Gable, etc all go back to NXT if it means them being used worth half a shit.
16 days ago
1/1/01
AnthonyWeiner - 

I think we're all in agreement: Nothing says "I'm not watching AEW" like NXT promoting Bianca Belair vs Shayna Bayzler.

Vince knows what we want. You can tell from the soaring ratings of Raw and Smackdown.

I actually really like Bayzler.

But Belair annoys the everliving shit out of me.
15 days ago
5/3/12

The 1 hour runtime has always been one of my favorite things about NXT.

15 days ago
3/7/05
Wiggy - 
AnthonyWeiner - 

I actually really like Bayzler.

But Belair annoys the everliving shit out of me.

I have never seen her wrestler, but I love her legs.
15 days ago
1/1/01
GUMBY ? -

The 1 hour runtime has always been one of my favorite things about NXT.

HUGE reason why I watch it as much as I do.

NXT has been down a bit over the last few months IMO.

15 days ago
11/11/11
Wiggy - I'll admit that I don't watch NXT every week - I'd say I average 3 weeks out of the month.

One of the things I like about it is that we *don't* see the same faces every single week. When someone is on, it's more special.

And when they show video packages hyping up a match or whatever, it makes them mean a little more, too.

If they stretch to two hours, they'll have to not only show people every week, but show damn near everyone.

The ONLY thing that could make these even remotely work would be if they took a bunch of main roster talent that people wanna see more of (but they never put on TV) and send them back to NXT.

I'd be more than Ok to see Bobby Roode, Zack Ryder, EC3, The Revival, Gable, etc all go back to NXT if it means them being used worth half a shit.

Totally agree about not seeing the same talent every week.  Such a great aspect that makes me look forward to seeing who is on the next episode. Much like superstars and challenge back in the day

15 days ago
10/8/07

The charm of NXT was the one hour show. And now since Vince has butchered their roster they don't have the talent for two hours. I get they want to counter AEW but there's no good reason for them having 7 hours of wrestling a week. Raw needs to be shorter as well.

14 days ago
8/19/03

I definitely see this backfiring on them, longterm.   They should focus more on the strength if their own product and worry less about what a potential, largely unproven competitor is trying to do.  As others have said, NXT has succeeded because its flown under Vince's radar,  but now,  it's going to be overexposed as they're increasing its tv time by double, and he sure as hell is going to have to have the final say, so things don't look good.