Art Vandelay's Pro Wrestling Ground Sting rumored to be joining AEW

24 days ago
10/20/07
Wiggy -

He's been Sting since WCW, so I'm betting he owns the rights and would've never signed them over to Vince upon signing with WWE.

Doesnt Sting (the singer) pay Sting (the wrestler) $1 a year for use of the name because he owns it?

I remember reading that years ago.  Could be BS but I do remember that being said.

24 days ago
11/11/11
Festus -
Wiggy -

He's been Sting since WCW, so I'm betting he owns the rights and would've never signed them over to Vince upon signing with WWE.

Doesnt Sting (the singer) pay Sting (the wrestler) $1 a year for use of the name because he owns it?

I remember reading that years ago.  Could be BS but I do remember that being said.

I thought it was vice versa

24 days ago
12/28/12
Festus -
Wiggy -

thats not true

also the wrestler sting has owned the mark since 1995

24 days ago
10/8/07
savage animal -

Hes going to present the TNT title at DoN sounds like.

Looks like Mike Tyson will be doing that.

23 days ago
8/31/07

^pretty interesting, I like that better than Sting.

Cant imagine AEW has any interest in putting Sting in the ring. A little scuffle with Jake and then being in theTeam Nightmare corner once, maybe as a surprise, but I don't see it. Who knows, maybe there's behind the scenes work he can do. Being one of the best babyfaces ever could make someone valuable to coach even just that.

23 days ago
1/1/01
Charles Barkley - 
Wiggy -
Charles Barkley - 

Well, when their next PPV is headlined by one of the bludgeon brothers vs Dean Ambrose and The co-main event is an immobile Matt Hardy I’m going to have to say that I have zero faith this company is going to make good decisions. 

I really, really, want them to succeed but they’re following the IMPACT model which is bringing in C-Level guys (Christian/Luke Harper or Bubba Dudley/Matt Hardy) and immediately pushing them into the title picture because they were in WWE (as opposed to actually getting them over).

It’s fucking retarded. What has Luke Harper done in AEW to merit a world championship shot immediately? Last time I saw him he was carrying around a gigantic stupid hammer (and never using it) and jobbing clean to the New Day. 

So yeah, at this rate Sting will probably come in and beat Hangman Page clean and start a feud with Matt Hardy. I can’t wait. 

I've seen this sort of thing brought up a lot and after thinking about it a while...I'm not sure I agree.

The HUGE mistake TNA made when they signed everyone they did (aside from then never pushing their own talent) was they brought them in as they were. And I mean EVERYONE.

The Kurt Angle you saw in TNA was the exact same Kurt Angle you saw in WWE, with a slightly different catchphrase. The Booker T you saw in TNA was the same you saw in WWE. Same with Hardy, Hogan, Hall, Nash, Christian, Lashley...even guys like RVD.

We're not necessarily seeing that in AEW.

Brodie Lee isn't at all the same as Luke Harper. Jon Moxley is quite a bit different than Dean Ambrose (esp when Ambrose left). Hell, even Shawn Spears (like him or hate him) isn't the same as Tye Dillinger.

I think there's a big difference between bringing a person in and bringing a character in.

Hell, even Jericho isn't the same. (Though that's par for the course with him over his career.)

Hardy I can't really comment on as I never saw the "broken" stuff as it happened.

That said, one of the biggest fears (from people here, no less) when AEW started was that the Elite were just gonna put themselves over. By and large, that really hasn't happened and they have used themselves to put over other talent.

The Bucks have done jobs for SCU, Private Party, and the Lucha Bros. Omega has put over Pac. Darby arguably wouldn't be where he is right now had he not had that draw with Cody.

If you think back to when Hall & Nash went to WCW, one of the reasons that was big was that they were "Hall" and "Nash"...not "Diesel" and "Razor Ramon". Sure, there were some similarities. But by and large, they were different characters, even if they were the same guys.

I think AEW can do the same thing.

Besides, we all know (and often talk about) what dumb decisions Vince can make. Just because he stupidly puts a guy out to pasture or mis-uses talent, that doesn't mean your promotion shouldn't take advantage of an opportunity Vince squandered.

You’re good people, Wiggy. Those are all solid points. I’m still nervous, though. I really want them to succeed. 

Sofa King Wiggy f-f-f-4 LIFE!

22 days ago
7/13/09

AEW is a confused thing. 

Cody obviously wants to bring back WCW. The shows on TNT, the ring and colors, the pyro the nostalgia acts, Bash at the Beach etc. So in that sense bringing back Sting to hit the old fart WCW nostalgic fans makes sense. But to have him around like Tully or Arn or DDP since they’re synonymous with WCW.  Only way I want to actually see him wrestle again is if he has a flat top, even if grey, lots of TRT pulsating through his veins, and some neon Green or Pink tights or mix of Crow and Neon Sting Shining Wizard would be interesting. He can fuck off with that regular old Crow Sting though. Wouldn’t care. 

I’d say use him to get a face painted guy or Road Warrior looking Team over or something. Having him around makes it seem more big time if they did something like that. But having him wrestle Matt Hardy in his crow outfit and balding long hair would be sad. 

22 days ago
8/2/05

I could see them bringing in legends just for Lance Archer to crush in a Tong Po kind of manner. 

As preciously stated everyone thats come in has had a different persona or gimmick even Matt Hardy is playing a two face broken and unbroken gimmick.

Brodie Lee is doing the gimmick he pitched to Vince but it got shot down. I remember a podcast he did he talked about it at length. These guys are being given an opportunity to make their own stories and creativity. Thats all we can ask for and some will sink and some will swim. 

i am loving AEW right now I actually look forward to wrestling each week now

22 days ago
8/31/07

^totally agree

Hope he's growing in the rat tail as we speak.

22 days ago
1/1/01

I know Sting says he can (wants to) do one more match, but would he be any good as a manager?

Basically like how Jake is doing for Lance Archer?

I literally just thought of this so I haven't at all fleshed it out mentally (could be a stupid idea lol), but imagine of Darby goes on a losing streak outta nowhere...continues with his vignettes...gets increasingly frustrated...maybe loses a feud...

Then at a point when he's getting the shit kicked out of him by like 5-6 guys, Sting with Crow face paint, trench coat, baseball bat, all in black (none of this red shit) shows up to save him.

Crow Sting then takes Darby under his wing (no pun intended lol) helping elevate him higher on the roster.

22 days ago
1/1/01
Charles Barkley - 
Wiggy -

I know Sting says he can (wants to) do one more match, but would he be any good as a manager?

Basically like how Jake is doing for Lance Archer?

I literally just thought of this so I haven't at all fleshed it out mentally (could be a stupid idea lol), but imagine of Darby goes on a losing streak outta nowhere...continues with his vignettes...gets increasingly frustrated...maybe loses a feud...

Then at a point when he's getting the shit kicked out of him by like 5-6 guys, Sting with Crow face paint, trench coat, baseball bat, all in black (none of this red shit) shows up to save him.

Crow Sting then takes Darby under his wing (no pun intended lol) helping elevate him higher on the roster.

Yeah that’s a solid angle. I’d love that, actually. 

But it looks like they’re putting Darby with Taz for some reason. 

Shit - I totally forgot about that. (Haven't watched this week's episode, yet.)

Gotta say...I don't understand that pairing at all.

I mean, maybe back when he was *old* school ECW FTW Taz...but he hasn't been that since what - the early to mid '00s?

21 days ago
2/4/06
Wiggy -
Charles Barkley - 
Wiggy -
Charles Barkley - 

Well, when their next PPV is headlined by one of the bludgeon brothers vs Dean Ambrose and The co-main event is an immobile Matt Hardy I’m going to have to say that I have zero faith this company is going to make good decisions. 

I really, really, want them to succeed but they’re following the IMPACT model which is bringing in C-Level guys (Christian/Luke Harper or Bubba Dudley/Matt Hardy) and immediately pushing them into the title picture because they were in WWE (as opposed to actually getting them over).

It’s fucking retarded. What has Luke Harper done in AEW to merit a world championship shot immediately? Last time I saw him he was carrying around a gigantic stupid hammer (and never using it) and jobbing clean to the New Day. 

So yeah, at this rate Sting will probably come in and beat Hangman Page clean and start a feud with Matt Hardy. I can’t wait. 

I've seen this sort of thing brought up a lot and after thinking about it a while...I'm not sure I agree.

The HUGE mistake TNA made when they signed everyone they did (aside from then never pushing their own talent) was they brought them in as they were. And I mean EVERYONE.

The Kurt Angle you saw in TNA was the exact same Kurt Angle you saw in WWE, with a slightly different catchphrase. The Booker T you saw in TNA was the same you saw in WWE. Same with Hardy, Hogan, Hall, Nash, Christian, Lashley...even guys like RVD.

We're not necessarily seeing that in AEW.

Brodie Lee isn't at all the same as Luke Harper. Jon Moxley is quite a bit different than Dean Ambrose (esp when Ambrose left). Hell, even Shawn Spears (like him or hate him) isn't the same as Tye Dillinger.

I think there's a big difference between bringing a person in and bringing a character in.

Hell, even Jericho isn't the same. (Though that's par for the course with him over his career.)

Hardy I can't really comment on as I never saw the "broken" stuff as it happened.

That said, one of the biggest fears (from people here, no less) when AEW started was that the Elite were just gonna put themselves over. By and large, that really hasn't happened and they have used themselves to put over other talent.

The Bucks have done jobs for SCU, Private Party, and the Lucha Bros. Omega has put over Pac. Darby arguably wouldn't be where he is right now had he not had that draw with Cody.

If you think back to when Hall & Nash went to WCW, one of the reasons that was big was that they were "Hall" and "Nash"...not "Diesel" and "Razor Ramon". Sure, there were some similarities. But by and large, they were different characters, even if they were the same guys.

I think AEW can do the same thing.

Besides, we all know (and often talk about) what dumb decisions Vince can make. Just because he stupidly puts a guy out to pasture or mis-uses talent, that doesn't mean your promotion shouldn't take advantage of an opportunity Vince squandered.

You’re good people, Wiggy. Those are all solid points. I’m still nervous, though. I really want them to succeed. 

Sofa King Wiggy f-f-f-4 LIFE!

Yeah... The way I was going to pit it was AEW is more trying to bring main stream eyes to a more indie The names you really, really have heard going to AEW past or future haven't mostly been legacy talent like Dustin would be considered, but talent with miles left on the rubber that have well known indie/Japan pasts or wrestlers totally booked to hell or gimmicked to death. Sure Ambrose brought WWE eyes away just to check it out, but AEWs core audience came to see Moxley. Lee's totally backwards booking was the most talked about part of his WWE run.  Even AEWs "Legacy" talent like Jericho and Dustin have a little time left on their bodies and actual wrestling talent to lean on. Plus they came to the company to evolve. If anything that's the opposite of late WCW because the start and finish of those bookings were "look who came to WCW from WWE" then those signings burned in flames... Brett and Piper being prime examples.