Art Vandelay's Pro Wrestling Ground Sting rumored to be joining AEW

25 days ago
6/9/16

Pretty thin rumor at this point, but Sting sent this tweet:

Cody reacted:

But the kicker is that Sting's action figure was then pulled from Mattel's WWE Legends series. Hmm.

WWE Icon Sting Teases AEW Debut, Cody Rhodes Responds

Sting To AEW Rumors Heat Up After He Gets Removed From WWE Figure Line, Cody Tweets

25 days ago
1/1/01
meh. No interest in him going to AEW in any form.
25 days ago
12/28/12

I don’t see the need for him there. 

25 days ago
5/4/04

I didnt think he could wrestle any more?

25 days ago
1/1/01
jujitsujamo -

I didnt think he could wrestle any more?

He says he can I believe.

But I think they could benefit from him in a mentor role like Jake.

25 days ago
8/19/03

Please no.

How about fuck having anything to do with any of these castoffs and retirees and pushing homegrown talent?  

25 days ago
1/1/01
WaltJ -

Please no.

How about fuck having anything to do with any of these castoffs and retirees and pushing homegrown talent?  

Agree...

They didn’t really do shit with Tully vs Arn which had sooo much potential. DDP is in great physical shape but he’s still in his 60’s as is Sting. Jake is in his 60’s too but he’s being used properly. Arn could barely roll into the ring the last time I saw him. 

They don’t have a big enough roster to need that many producers especially when Cody, Jericho, YBs and Omega are leading and they have others already. Guys like Darby, Sammy and MJF just needed an opportunity which the established guys gave them. 

25 days ago
8/31/07

Hes going to present the TNT title at DoN sounds like.

Edited: 25 days ago
12/28/12
savage animal -

Makes sense. Hopefully they hype it and get some buys out of it. I’d like to see a heel put a beating on him but they’re probably not going that route. They’ve been soft on most of the legends so far except for the RnRE

25 days ago
8/19/03
evh -
savage animal -

Makes sense. Hopefully they hype it and get some buys out of it. I’d like to see a heel put a beating on him but they’re probably not going that route. They’ve been soft on most of the legends so far except for the RnRE

The only reason anyone from wwe or anywhere should be brought in is to put over AEWs stars.

I would offer a guy like Rusev a contract to come in, build up a big match, then have MJF beat him clean at a big event. 

This is AEW'S chance to not make the same mistakes its predecessors did.  WWE, WCW, and TNA aren't writing you any checks, so don't push their guys and put them over on your own homegrown talent. 

25 days ago
10/20/07

Just wanted to share this pic without starting another thread.  Thought it was pretty cool...just in case might have missed it

25 days ago
10/20/07

25 days ago
6/9/16
Festus -

Crazy! Jericho turns 50 in November.

25 days ago
1/14/12

They don’t need Sting spend the cash on guys who can work a regular schedule and help grow their company like Rusev or the Revival.

25 days ago
5/8/13

Sting is a big name that could bring eyes to AEW. Doubt he does an actual program.... they know what they’re doing, I trust them 100%. We are talking about it and will all tune in 

24 days ago
8/19/03
Charles Barkley -

Well, when their next PPV is headlined by one of the bludgeon brothers vs Dean Ambrose and The co-main event is an immobile Matt Hardy I’m going to have to say that I have zero faith this company is going to make good decisions. 

I really, really, want them to succeed but they’re following the IMPACT model which is bringing in C-Level guys (Christian/Luke Harper or Bubba Dudley/Matt Hardy) and immediately pushing them into the title picture because they were in WWE (as opposed to actually getting them over).

It’s fucking retarded. What has Luke Harper done in AEW to merit a world championship shot immediately? Last time I saw him he was carrying around a gigantic stupid hammer (and never using it) and jobbing clean to the New Day. 

So yeah, at this rate Sting will probably come in and beat Hangman Page clean and start a feud with Matt Hardy. I can’t wait. 

Let's hope you're wrong.

The one thing I'll say for AEW, is at least they have (or had) what I would call "real" crowd support, which is something I feel TNA never cultivated.  AEW's fans seemed to legitimately be behind some of their wrestlers and wanted to see them in high profile matches.

Whether or not they're smart and capitalize on that fact, or whether they bring in castoffs and dinosaurs, remains to be seen.  Its their choice whether they want to go out of business or not.

24 days ago
8/31/07
Dugs95 -

Sting is a big name that could bring eyes to AEW. Doubt he does an actual program.... they know what they’re doing, I trust them 100%. We are talking about it and will all tune in 

If only this would've been the first post, woulda been /thread

I, for one and holding out hope we get Archer vs Cody 2 at Halloween Headlock

"Spin the Wheel, Make the Deal"

24 days ago
12/28/12
Charles Barkley -

Well, when their next PPV is headlined by one of the bludgeon brothers vs Dean Ambrose and The co-main event is an immobile Matt Hardy I’m going to have to say that I have zero faith this company is going to make good decisions. 

I really, really, want them to succeed but they’re following the IMPACT model which is bringing in C-Level guys (Christian/Luke Harper or Bubba Dudley/Matt Hardy) and immediately pushing them into the title picture because they were in WWE (as opposed to actually getting them over).

It’s fucking retarded. What has Luke Harper done in AEW to merit a world championship shot immediately? Last time I saw him he was carrying around a gigantic stupid hammer (and never using it) and jobbing clean to the New Day. 

So yeah, at this rate Sting will probably come in and beat Hangman Page clean and start a feud with Matt Hardy. I can’t wait. 

I agree somewhat but you have to cut them some slack. They were doing shows during a pandemic with 40% of their roster. Not a lot of big name singles to put in a program with Moxley.

24 days ago
10/8/07

I'd be alright with him coming in and putting over someone like MJF. im sure he doesn't want to end his career the way it did, and if he's medically cleared I dont have a problem with Sting going out on his own terms.

But if he's medically cleared WWE needs to stop playing around and give us Sting vs Undertaker at wrestlemania. 

24 days ago
9/24/18
BigTedBear -

They don’t need Sting spend the cash on guys who can work a regular schedule and help grow their company like Rusev or the Revival.

Growing the company also means getting more eyeballs to tune in, and Sting does that more than Rusev or the Revival. I agree though that more of their time should be invested in the Rusev types.

23 days ago
1/1/01
Charles Barkley - 

I've seen this sort of thing brought up a lot and after thinking about it a while...I'm not sure I agree.

The HUGE mistake TNA made when they signed everyone they did (aside from then never pushing their own talent) was they brought them in as they were. And I mean EVERYONE.

The Kurt Angle you saw in TNA was the exact same Kurt Angle you saw in WWE, with a slightly different catchphrase. The Booker T you saw in TNA was the same you saw in WWE. Same with Hardy, Hogan, Hall, Nash, Christian, Lashley...even guys like RVD.

We're not necessarily seeing that in AEW.

Brodie Lee isn't at all the same as Luke Harper. Jon Moxley is quite a bit different than Dean Ambrose (esp when Ambrose left). Hell, even Shawn Spears (like him or hate him) isn't the same as Tye Dillinger.

I think there's a big difference between bringing a person in and bringing a character in.

Hell, even Jericho isn't the same. (Though that's par for the course with him over his career.)

Hardy I can't really comment on as I never saw the "broken" stuff as it happened.

That said, one of the biggest fears (from people here, no less) when AEW started was that the Elite were just gonna put themselves over. By and large, that really hasn't happened and they have used themselves to put over other talent.

The Bucks have done jobs for SCU, Private Party, and the Lucha Bros. Omega has put over Pac. Darby arguably wouldn't be where he is right now had he not had that draw with Cody.

If you think back to when Hall & Nash went to WCW, one of the reasons that was big was that they were "Hall" and "Nash"...not "Diesel" and "Razor Ramon". Sure, there were some similarities. But by and large, they were different characters, even if they were the same guys.

I think AEW can do the same thing.

Besides, we all know (and often talk about) what dumb decisions Vince can make. Just because he stupidly puts a guy out to pasture or mis-uses talent, that doesn't mean your promotion shouldn't take advantage of an opportunity Vince squandered.

23 days ago
6/9/16
Wiggy -
Charles Barkley - 

I've seen this sort of thing brought up a lot and after thinking about it a while...I'm not sure I agree.

The HUGE mistake TNA made when they signed everyone they did (aside from then never pushing their own talent) was they brought them in as they were. And I mean EVERYONE.

The Kurt Angle you saw in TNA was the exact same Kurt Angle you saw in WWE, with a slightly different catchphrase. The Booker T you saw in TNA was the same you saw in WWE. Same with Hardy, Hogan, Hall, Nash, Christian, Lashley...even guys like RVD.

Brodie Lee isn't at all the same as Luke Harper. Jon Moxley is quite a bit different than Dean Ambrose (esp when Ambrose left). Hell, even Shawn Spears (like him or hate him) isn't the same as Tye Dillinger.

I think there's a big difference between bringing a person in and bringing a character in.

Hell, even Jericho isn't the same. (Though that's par for the course with him over his career.)

Hardy I can't really comment on as I never saw the "broken" stuff as it happened.

That said, one of the biggest fears (from people here, no less) when AEW started was that the Elite were just gonna put themselves over. By and large, that really hasn't happened and they have used themselves to put over other talent.

The Bucks have done jobs for SCU, Private Party, and the Lucha Bros. Omega has put over Pac. Darby arguably wouldn't be where he is right now had he not had that draw with Cody.

If you think back to when Hall & Nash went to WCW, one of the reasons that was big was that they were "Hall" and "Nash"...not "Diesel" and "Razor Ramon". Sure, there were some similarities. But by and large, they were different characters, even if they were the same guys.

Besides, we all know (and often talk about) what dumb decisions Vince can make. Just because he stupidly puts a guy out to pasture or mis-uses talent, that doesn't mean your promotion shouldn't take advantage of an opportunity Vince squandered.

Wiggy with some great points! There are new personas being created in AEW. That said, it's unlikely Sting comes in as as the Mad Coronavirus Scientist.

;) 

23 days ago
10/8/07
Taco Muncher -
Wiggy -
Charles Barkley - 

Wiggy with some great points! There are new personas being created in AEW. That said, it's unlikely Sting comes in as as the Mad Coronavirus Scientist.

;) 

Could he even come to AEW as Sting, wouldn't WWE have that trademarked the day he signed with them? I don't know how those things work. I'm not expecting Rusev to show up to AEW as Rusev, and Sting is a much bigger name that the WWE probably doesn't want going over to their competitors.

23 days ago
6/9/16
The Destroyer88 -
Taco Muncher -
Wiggy -
Charles Barkley - 

;) 

Could he even come to AEW as Sting, wouldn't WWE have that trademarked the day he signed with them? I don't know how those things work. I'm not expecting Rusev to show up to AEW as Rusev, and Sting is a much bigger name that the WWE probably doesn't want going over to their competitors.

Good question. He could show up as Steve Borden and the fans would chant "Sting! Sting! Sting!" 

23 days ago
1/1/01

He's been Sting since WCW, so I'm betting he owns the rights and would've never signed them over to Vince upon signing with WWE.