Art Vandelay's Pro Wrestling Ground Think it will be cancelled?

25 days ago
5/4/04

Will house shows and AEW shows be cancelled? 

25 days ago
1/1/01

I think this week or next may be the last week of wrestling we get for a while unfortunetly.

25 days ago
10/8/07
RKing85 -

I think this week or next may be the last week of wrestling we get for a while unfortunetly.

There's been serious talks about postponing or even canceling Wrestlemania. I guess Tampa will decide tomorrow.

25 days ago
7/10/17
The Destroyer88 -
RKing85 -

There's been serious talks about postponing or even canceling Wrestlemania. I guess Tampa will decide tomorrow.

I won't shed tears if it happens card is complete crap on paper 

25 days ago
5/4/04

The NBA just cancelled its season.  Tom Hanks, the NBA, Wrestlemania cant be far behind.  This is some zombiepocalypse bullshit

25 days ago
10/8/07

24 days ago
3/7/05
NHL season is toast. No way WM goes forward this year.
24 days ago
10/8/07

not sure how I feel about no fans at a wrestling event but guess it's better than nothing
24 days ago
1/14/12

Doubt the state let’s WWE even if they wanted too.

24 days ago
1/1/01

WrestleTalk put out a video an hour or two ago saying Tampa officials have said they're not pulling the plug on Mania right now.

It may depend on what Vince puts in place as backup strategies if the outbreak concerns don't change / lighten.

24 days ago
1/1/01

And for the record - NY state has temporarily banned any event that will get / draw a crowd of 500 or more.

24 days ago
1/13/10

As a precautionary measure against COVID-19, we are relocating next week’s AEW DYNAMITE show on March 18 from Rochester, NY, to Jacksonville, FL. This show will be televised live on TNT from Daily’s Place, and be managed under a restricted attendance policy. The DYNAMITE show in Rochester will be rescheduled for Wednesday, July 8, at Blue Cross Arena.

Fans who have already purchased tickets to the Rochester show will be offered a refund via the point of purchase, or have their original ticket valid for admission to the event on July 8. Additional details will be forthcoming.

24 days ago
12/27/10

They look pretty bad IMO trying to be the renegades and move forward with a live event of that scale in this environment, overblown or not. It just makes them look money hungry and oblivious. 

24 days ago
10/20/07

"On Thursday afternoon, the Tampa, Florida city government held a meeting regarding the Coronavirus. One of the topics discussed was WrestleMania 36, with the decision being made to wait another week to see if WWE itself will make any changes to the event. Should WWE not, an emergency meeting will be held to make a decision on the future of the show. WWE has stated that if left up to them, the show will go on."

24 days ago
1/1/01

RAW is here in Pittsburgh Monday night and I was wondering if they were going to cancel that

24 days ago
2/29/16

Raw and Smackdown will be live from the performance center. Right?

Wrestlemania won't look like Wrestlemania either.

24 days ago
5/4/04

Postponement seems like the best plan

24 days ago
12/30/03
Festus -

"On Thursday afternoon, the Tampa, Florida city government held a meeting regarding the Coronavirus. One of the topics discussed was WrestleMania 36, with the decision being made to wait another week to see if WWE itself will make any changes to the event. Should WWE not, an emergency meeting will be held to make a decision on the future of the show. WWE has stated that if left up to them, the show will go on."

This verbiage makes me think it's cancelled but WWE is waiting for it to be cancelled from the cities end rather than their own. Perhaps it's due to the contract they have with the venue and the prescence or lack of an Act of God clause that would permit WWE and the venue to not do the show without losing their ass. 

It's typically used to cover Earthquakes or natural disasters but I think you could make the case that a pandemic would qualify. It's likely being looked at by their legal teams. 

Edited: 24 days ago
7/12/12

^Yes, force majeure. If an unprecedented public health emergency leads to government blocking the event from taking place, that certainly qualifies, and highly probably protects WWE from any liability for not rendering service even if their contracts lack an explicit force majeure clause. Even if some wild ass judge did find them liable, they'd appeal that shit all the way to the Supreme Court if necessary and almost certainly win.

Astute observation...not that I can imagine Vince post-poning the show in the absence of being shut down anyway, but if not for potential liability I think they'd do it to look conscientious if they knew a shut down was inevitable (which they must).

23 days ago
8/2/05

I mean Vince is in the vunerable section so maybe they should

23 days ago
12/30/03
Size -

^Yes, force majeure. If an unprecedented public health emergency leads to government blocking the event from taking place, that certainly qualifies, and highly probably protects WWE from any liability for not rendering service even if their contracts lack an explicit force majeure clause. Even if some wild ass judge did find them liable, they'd appeal that shit all the way to the Supreme Court if necessary and almost certainly win.

Astute observation...not that I can imagine Vince post-poning the show in the absence of being shut down anyway, but if not for potential liability I think they'd do it to look conscientious if they knew a shut down was inevitable (which they must).

I was a talent buyer for quite a few years so I have had to deal with similar contract issues. Considering they pay out huge for Wrestlemania and no longer have PPV as a primary revenue source, there is no way they are doing the event unless they can sell it out.

23 days ago
2/29/16
jujitsujamo -

Postponement seems like the best plan

Maybe they could push it back into May.

23 days ago
5/4/04

Would suck being in the sports and live entertainment business right now.  

23 days ago
1/1/01

They cancelled raw in Pittsburgh after all.  I guess they're having it at the performance center.  Which will be weird

23 days ago
12/28/12
Size -

force majeure language is typically very explicit as to what it covers