Art Vandelay's Pro Wrestling Ground Vince and Cody Rhodes trade shots

23 days ago
6/9/16

WWE CEO Vince McMahon recently took indirect shots at his new competition, AEW, on his company's Q2 conference calls with analysts and investors. McMahon suggested that his company would not resort to "blood and guts" as the new competition is doing and openly questioned whether continued use of "gory crap" would fly with TNT and advertisers. AEW EVP Cody Rhodes released a video where he addresses McMahon's comments and more:

“So how did all this begin?. Was it with a club and a whisper, or were these roots planted long ago? They said we couldn’t and Matt, Nick and I said we could. And with All In, there was a satisfaction in proving people wrong. And then enter Kenny Omega, the Khan family, All Elite Wrestling. And the fans said that we could and there was an equal satisfaction in proving people right. So what happens now? Plain and simple, wrestling fans and wrestlers alike have an opportunity to take back their space."

“Recently there were some very public comments made about us where we were referred to as blood and guts. Blood and guts. And it was said with such a braggart candor that you would think the person saying it felt that they were bulletproof. But I wonder, before they said it, if they tasted their own words before they spit them out because the entirety of our business is built on blood and guts. Every man or woman who ever stepped foot in the ring - regardless of race, color, creed, political affiliation, sexual identity - has felt blood and guts and PASSION. Because if we don’t care, they don’t care. So if you say we’re blood and guts, I say you bet your ass we are blood and guts.”

“Wrestling returns to TNT after eighteen years, eighteen long years. So I ask you once again. If not us, who? If not now, when? Join us for history, October 2nd, Washington DC, the Capitol One Arena. We need you now more than ever. I’m All In. Are you?”

https://rajah.com/node/cody-responds-vince-mcmahon-referring-aews-use-blood-and-guts

23 days ago
3/7/05
I cannot believe VKM would question other people for questionable product content. REALLY? Hey Vince, how is Mae Young's baby hand doing?
23 days ago
9/24/18

Hopefully this rivalry really heats up as Oct 2nd gets closer. Wrestling could get fun again. 

23 days ago
1/1/01
Jones right nostril - 

Hopefully this rivalry really heats up as Oct 2nd gets closer. Wrestling could get fun again. 

I wonder just how serious Vince is taking AEW?

We know he's signing / re-signing talent left & right. And there's the idea of NXT (and possibly 205 Live) coming to FS1 to siphon viewers from AEW.

But he's so far up his own ass with everything else, I wonder if he even considers them a threat?

It's obvious he doesn't listen to anyone else (including his own son-in-law). And while it seems like Heyman being in charge has made some difference on Raw, we'll see how long that lasts.

Like BigWilliam said - Vince is questioning AEW's content when he's the guy that brought us Mae Young's hand, Katie Vick, the Kiss My Ass club, and more.

Seems like the only one he listens to (because he has to) is the networks.

It'll be interesting to see how all this plays out and I, for one, am rooting like hell for AEW.
23 days ago
1/1/01
The crazy thing is that you could (at least, IMO) very easily make the case that the fact that AEW ever came into existence is Vince's fault.

If the stories are true, Cody hated and wanted to dump the Stardust gimmick, but Vince wouldn't let him. This was Cody's biggest contention and supposedly ultimately the reason he left WWE.

Had he not left WWE, he wouldn't have ended up on the indies, not met the Young Bucks, and, well, you all know what happened from there.

Vince would never in a zillion years admit it, but still...
23 days ago
10/8/07

October 2nd can't come soon enough. The closer it gets the more excited I get. Having an alternative to the WWE that is on a big network such as TNT every week is much needed.

Edited: 23 days ago
10/3/16

Vince isn't offended by AEW's content at all.

It is a label designed to mislead investors and advertisers into thinking their content is on a level of a violence that's too much.

Every time AEW has a match where someone blades now, WWE can throw that label out there. It is no different from Donald Trump calling Jeb Bush 'low-energy' it's an anchor for people to think of.

23 days ago
1/1/01

AEW on TNT debut sells out in a couple hours. Can’t remember the last time RAW had a legit sell out, much less in just a few hours.

23 days ago
1/1/01
RKing85 - 

AEW on TNT debut sells out in a couple hours. Can’t remember the last time RAW had a legit sell out, much less in just a few hours.

WrestleTalk cited the stat (for lack of a better term?) that there was more desire for All Out tickets than any WrestleMania in history.

(I'm probably not quoting that correctly, but maybe you guys know what I mean?)

What exactly did / do they mean by that? It's not total ticket sales given that WM has sold 70-90k tickets before.

Is it some kinda ratio of how many people wanted tickets compared to how many were sold / available?
23 days ago
12/28/12
BigWilliam - I cannot believe VKM would question other people for questionable product content. REALLY? Hey Vince, how is Mae Young's baby hand doing?

vince on an earnings call is speaking to a different audience. he’s trying to condition the market and advertisers to question aew. it’ll work on some clueless people but ultimately aew’s numbers will speak for themselves if their ratings track with their early onsales.

23 days ago
8/2/05
Wiggy -
RKing85 - 

WrestleTalk cited the stat (for lack of a better term?) that there was more desire for All Out tickets than any WrestleMania in history.

What exactly did / do they mean by that? It's not total ticket sales given that WM has sold 70-90k tickets before.

Is it some kinda ratio of how many people wanted tickets compared to how many were sold / available?

I would take most things wrestletalk says with a pinch of salt though

23 days ago
3/28/10
RKing85 -

Why are you acting like it’s the same exact thing?

23 days ago
11/11/11
MarcusAurelioFan -

It is a label designed to mislead investors and advertisers into thinking their content is on a level of a violence that's too much.

Every time AEW has a match where someone blades now, WWE can throw that label out there. It is no different from Donald Trump calling Jeb Bush 'low-energy' it's an anchor for people to think of.

This.

Vince is all strategy. Clearly Vince knows all the bs low bro stuff his company has produced.

22 days ago
1/1/01
RedDragonUK - 
Wiggy -
RKing85 - 

Meltzer was the one who initially came out with that info.

Basically he was saying that 60,000 people tried to get tickets, he says on average 3 per person, that means they could have sold 180,000 tickets in theory.

But Meltzer also said people were trying with multiple devices and if 4 people were looking to go, all 4 might have tried for tickets. So 180,000 isn't a realistic number even though the math checks out.
22 days ago
9/24/18
RedDragonUK - 
Wiggy -
RKing85 - 

The demand for tickets was obviously high, but it's a highly misleading headline. All Out tickets are priced a LOT cheapers than Mania tickets and obviously given there are a lot less tickets available, the demand will be high. 

22 days ago
6/9/16

Anyone?

https://i.imgur.com/cffWtLxl.jpg

22 days ago
1/1/01

22 days ago
6/9/16
Wiggy -

Thanks, Wiggy. Those ticket prices seem very reasonable. 

22 days ago
1/1/01
yeah, AEW has definitely left some money on the table by the pricing of their big events.

Have they garnered enough good will out of the lower ticket prices that they will make that up on the back end down the road?
22 days ago
1/1/01
They may not necessarily have to wait that long, really.

What's something that's damn near synonymous with AEW events, now? Being sold out - and often (usually?) selling out really fast.

This generates more buzz and makes more people more interested right now.

Plus, selling out like a mofo like they're doing is a helluva thing to have on your side for early branding.
21 days ago
9/24/18
Wiggy -

Damn that’s a lot of seats they could still sell! Just do a floor stage and have the crowd wrap around all the way around the arena. 

I always like the WM16 type set up. 

21 days ago
10/27/03
TheBearStare -
MarcusAurelioFan -

This.

Vince is all strategy. Clearly Vince knows all the bs low bro stuff his company has produced.

He’s repeating his exact strategy from 1996. He did the same thing with WCW back then.

When they couldn’t win he copied it and escalated it up a few notches.

21 days ago
11/11/11

Cody needs to stop worrying about getting back at his old company or proving them wrong, and focus on just making his own product great.

20 days ago
3/2/11
TheBearStare -
MarcusAurelioFan -

This.

He does but he also probably sees it as "different" as he is also prone to delusions.

20 days ago
9/24/18
TheBearStare - 

Cody needs to stop worrying about getting back at his old company or proving them wrong, and focus on just making his own product great.

For the most part I think he has focused mainly on his own product, but I will admit, the destroying of the throne chair at DON was really lame.