Art Vandelay's Pro Wrestling Ground WWE in "talks" with ESPN+!

2/21/20 1:39 PM
1/1/01
According to lordsofpain.net. And so it begins! By this time next year, WWE will charge separately for PPV's. Oh well, cant say I'm surprised.
2/21/20 2:47 PM
10/3/16

I think they'll put the big four on ESPN plus 

2/21/20 3:52 PM
10/8/07
MarcusAurelioFan -

I think they'll put the big four on ESPN plus 

That's what I read about a month ago, that they were shopping around their big ppvs.

2/21/20 4:05 PM
1/1/01

They've been shopping them around for a bit.

Saw a rumor a couple-few weeks ago that Vince was supposedly talking to Fox about selling them WrestleMania.

2/21/20 4:14 PM
1/1/01

The interesting thing about this (them selling off at least their big PPVs) is that it would all but kill the WWE network.

Supposedly memberships are already way down.

The two biggest reasons for people to subscribe are NXT (which is now on USA) and PPVs (which they're looking at selling off).

They'd have to get some serious bank for them to make up for the serious loss they'd endure on the network side.

It would also depend on how the deals end up structured. If they go to an ESPN+, I'm guessing it'd be like a UFC/boxing kinda thing where you'd still have to pay a PPV price like the old days.

IIRC, the Fox / Mania deal was gonna be something like Mania would be on a Fox streaming platform and include commercials like a pro sports game.

Either could (would) drastically affect viewership...though both would likely involve different monetization models.

2/21/20 4:16 PM
7/11/11

Vince is gonna kill it before he goes out

2/21/20 4:42 PM
10/8/07
Wiggy -

The interesting thing about this (them selling off at least their big PPVs) is that it would all but kill the WWE network.

The two biggest reasons for people to subscribe are NXT (which is now on USA) and PPVs (which they're looking at selling off).

They'd have to get some serious bank for them to make up for the serious loss they'd endure on the network side.

It would also depend on how the deals end up structured. If they go to an ESPN+, I'm guessing it'd be like a UFC/boxing kinda thing where you'd still have to pay a PPV price like the old days.

IIRC, the Fox / Mania deal was gonna be something like Mania would be on a Fox streaming platform and include commercials like a pro sports game.

Either could (would) drastically affect viewership...though both would likely involve different monetization models.

If they would put full years of 90s Raw, Nitro, and earlier wrestling on the network I'd be subscribed every month even without the monthly ppvs. Their selection however, plus getting rid of basically the only wwe ppvs I watch, would most definitely spell the end of the network.

2/21/20 4:51 PM
2/29/16

I think PPV's will still air live on the network.

2/21/20 5:23 PM
1/1/01
The Destroyer88 - 
Wiggy -

If they would put full years of 90s Raw, Nitro, and earlier wrestling on the network I'd be subscribed every month even without the monthly ppvs. Their selection however, plus getting rid of basically the only wwe ppvs I watch, would most definitely spell the end of the network.

I usually have a couple-few places I stream shows / PPVs through. They kept going down during the Rumble, so I grabbed one of my dummy email accounts and signed up for a free trial of the network to finish the PPV.

Literally haven't been back to it, since.

2/21/20 5:51 PM
5/1/14
Mandible_Claw -

I think PPV's will still air live on the network.

They would have to I would think. They pull some shit like charging separate for PPVs the Network dies. 

2/21/20 9:51 PM
10/20/07

Looking at espn+ when they have their own awesome network sounds like a ridiculous rumor.  I know I'd drop the network if they took away any of the PPV's 

2/21/20 9:58 PM
4/11/10
The Destroyer88 -
Wiggy -

I haven’t had the network in little while but when i did they had all raw/nitros.  They don’t anymore??

Edited: 2/22/20 1:15 AM
7/12/12

I would think they can get a lot more PPV revenue than they get now...not from me, but in the aggregate. I'm fine renting the few events that move my needle from the video store, or subscribing to the network once enough stuff I want to see is in the archives (assuming it would turn out that way).

Also, these big streaming services are content taking massive losses in the course of amassing enough content to persuade people to go through the hassle of signing up to a new service, new app, etc. so there's probably a good opportunity for WWE with Peacock coming up, and ESPN+, etc. seeing them as a competitor

2/22/20 5:43 PM
1/1/01

I would likely cancel the network if ppv's were gone. Wrestlemania and the Rumble alone cover the cost of 1 year of the network.  

I'd probs stop watching altogether for a few years until it was consolidated again

2/22/20 6:37 PM
11/17/11

I'd be ok with it if they dropped the ppv and charge less for the library. Cut the price in half and wipe out the new stuff... win win haha

2/23/20 5:53 PM
12/30/03

I'd be cool with PPV's as long as they only charged for the big ones and actually had content worth paying for. 

As it stands now, I think they would be sad to see how few of us would pay to watch the matches they are putting out lately. 

2/24/20 8:18 PM
6/4/10
tj tapper -

I would likely cancel the network if ppv's were gone. Wrestlemania and the Rumble alone cover the cost of 1 year of the network.  

I'd probs stop watching altogether for a few years until it was consolidated again

100% this. 

14 days ago
1/1/01
ESPN is broadcasting a replay of Wrestlemania 30 tonight prime time 7 -11 pm Eastern.
Hmmmmmmm.......
14 days ago
9/22/16
I saw an article that said the deal was breaking down over PPV revenue split. WWE wants a huge, like astronomical, increase in revenue share from the FOX deal.
13 days ago
8/31/07

Amazing to think WWE Network will look to presumably decrease  content on their own Network, in favor of ESPN+ paying a shit ton for the rights.

WWE Network going the way of Fight Pass when it seemed (and we hoped) the opposite would come to pass.