Art Vandelay's Pro Wrestling Ground WWE to take control of all talents Twitch channels

23 days ago
1/14/07
https://www.mandatory.com/wrestlezone/news/1204456-wwe-take-control-talents-twitch-account-revenue

Wrestling Inc. has provided an update on the story involving WWE talent and their third-party accounts on Twitch and other social media sites. The initial edict laid out in September told talent that they could no longer engage with third parties services online. Public backlash seemingly forced the company’s hand, and they declared that talent could keep their accounts as long as they used their real names instead of stage names and informed WWE about them.

In a new message released to talent today, WWE has informed its independent contractors that the company would be taking control of their Twitch accounts in four weeks’ time. WWE will own the accounts, and talent will receive an unspecified percentage of the revenue. This money will also count against their downside guarantees.

WrestleZone will continue to follow this developing story and update as new developments break.
23 days ago
1/14/07

Holy shit at this. WWE has gone full scum.

I wonder if this ends up in court and they lose the ability to talent as independent contractors.

23 days ago
1/1/01

I would bank hard for 3 weeks, then shut down my channel.

Fuck the idea of putting a shitload of extra work in, only to not only not get all the $$$ from it, but for it to count toward what WWE is supposed to pay me, anyway.

Speaking of which - NICE way for WWE to simultaneously add additional revenue AND eliminate a part of their financial responsibilities.

Wow.

Edited: 23 days ago
1/14/07
Wiggy - I would bank hard for 3 weeks, then shut down my channel.

Fuck the idea of putting a shitload of extra work in, only to not only not get all the $$$ from it, but for it to count toward what WWE is supposed to pay me, anyway.

Speaking of which - NICE way for WWE to simultaneously add additional revenue AND eliminate a part of their financial responsibilities.

Wow.

All while maintaining the highest revenue in company history during a pandemic and economic shitstorm.

What do you bet that Paige quits the WWE in 3 weeks and 6 days from that memo?
23 days ago
1/1/01

Everyone fired in February/March got incredibly lucky. 

23 days ago
1/1/01

23 days ago
11/11/11

What if wwf is secretly wanting some people to quit over this?

23 days ago
1/1/01
Just when you think the WWE can't get any scummier, they do something like this.
23 days ago
1/14/07
RKing85 - Just when you think the WWE can't get any scummier, they do something like this.

Further reports that they are adding Twitch as required duties in new contracts.

So get ready for The Fiend on Twitch playing WWE Battlegrounds with everyone that's Let Him in!

This is fucking insane. I wish I could hire and independent contracting to roof my house... while also barring them from any other roofing jobs... while also requiring them to do landscaping for the rest of my neighborhood... and that landscaping income offsetting the roofing bill I was going to have.

23 days ago
12/14/00

I don't understand how they can legally do that. But what do I know, I'm just a caveman. 

23 days ago
5/22/02
It's almost like Vince has realised what a pile of dogshit AEW actually is and has decided he can once again exploit everyone.

The wrestlers should strike and kill his TV money.
22 days ago
7/14/16
Legal loophole?

Let's say WWE makes it mandatory for all talent to have social media accounts in character as part of their required WWE work.

Now, if that talent were to make a social media account as themselves, would they be breaking the non-compete clause while under contract?

Or could they just say fuck it, make a second account as themselves under their real names, and only agree to even log into the WWE character account while "on the clock" so to speak? Meaning only use it during their contracted work times.
Edited: 22 days ago
8/19/03

Interesting time to go kicking over hornets nests. 

This could blow up in their face.   It's not the 90s anymore.  A guy like Andrew Yang can be the ember that starts a blazing forest fire.  The long term risk here is that this ends them back in the spotlight with people considering what an "independent contractor", which is a conversation that I highly doubt they're excited to have. 

22 days ago
1/1/01

This gonna be a weird post (I'm half drunktarded...so #DontJudge lol):

Does Vince even fucking care at this point?

He's old AF. His best days are WAY behind him. We're currently in a worldwide pandemic where he fits *squarely* in the realm of most susceptible to catch it. It's all but common knowledge at this point that he gives zero fucks about passing WWE onto Steph / Trips / Shane / whomever as his legacy.

(If anything, he *doesn't* want them to have a successful, thriving company when his old ass kicks the bucket.)

Is he just pulling whatever random shit out of his ass at whatever random time he wants just because he can?

Then after he dies and everyone else is left picking up the pieces, it can be chalked up to "he stayed in it too long" while simultaneously being remembered for building the biggest & most profitable pro wrestling company in history?

I mean FFS - even Trips is (apparentely) saying he has *no* idea what's going on re the draft, NXT talent being called up, etc. And he's not only head of one of WWE's biggest brands, he's Vince's goddamned son-in-law...

22 days ago
1/14/07

Vince is, for sure, a crazy old man.

Not sure if he's thaaaaaaaaat crazy though

22 days ago
11/11/11
Wiggy -

This gonna be a weird post (I'm half drunktarded...so #DontJudge lol):

Does Vince even fucking care at this point?

He's old AF. His best days are WAY behind him. We're currently in a worldwide pandemic where he fits *squarely* in the realm of most susceptible to catch it. It's all but common knowledge at this point that he gives zero fucks about passing WWE onto Steph / Trips / Shane / whomever as his legacy.

(If anything, he *doesn't* want them to have a successful, thriving company when his old ass kicks the bucket.)

Is he just pulling whatever random shit out of his ass at whatever random time he wants just because he can?

Then after he dies and everyone else is left picking up the pieces, it can be chalked up to "he stayed in it too long" while simultaneously being remembered for building the biggest & most profitable pro wrestling company in history?

I mean FFS - even Trips is (apparentely) saying he has *no* idea what's going on re the draft, NXT talent being called up, etc. And he's not only head of one of WWE's biggest brands, he's Vince's goddamned son-in-law...

I can believe alot of this actually

22 days ago
1/14/07

Cameo too, now:

As Wrestling Inc. first exclusively reported on Thursday, WWE will be taking control of talents' Twitch accounts in four weeks. This includes talent with accounts under their real names. WWE will own those accounts, however talent will receive a percentage of the revenue, which counts against their downside guarantees.

WWE is also having talent sign agreements to turn over their Cameo accounts. Below are some of the key points from the agreement sent to talent:

* Talent affirm that WWE is their authorized representative

* Talent authorize Cameo to make all payments and any other compensations to WWE

* Cameo will not be made a party in any dispute between the talent and WWE

* The authorization can be cancelled at any time only if the account is cancelled.

As previously reported, Vince McMahon issued an edict instructing talent that they can no longer engage with third parties. The company later clarified the edict, stating that talent could maintain Twitch and YouTube accounts under their real names, however they would still need to inform the company of those accounts. As of this writing, WWE is only taking ownership of Twitch and Cameo accounts.

As noted, McMahon sent an email to talent this week reminding them that they have until today to sever any unauthorized business relationships with third parties. It was noted that talent who fail to comply could be fined, suspended or terminated.

22 days ago
1/18/03
I wonder how many channels will continue or if the wrestlers will quit doing it. Why put in the effort if Vince is going to reap the profits?

I also wonder if they will try to take over the channels like they did with the Wrestling Figure Podcast and fuck it up.
22 days ago
3/9/07

If their using their WWE owned names then WWE is in the right here.  If it's in their own name then Vince is getting sued.

22 days ago
7/12/12
Trying to make up for loss of live event revenue, I reckon. I hear they weren't making money on those lately anyway, but they at least made extra money from the gate of TV and PPV.

Everyone supposedly makes much more than their downside unless they're hurt all year anyway.

Not doing apologetics for Vince, I'm always on the side of the talents, and definitely don't think anyone should be forced to do Twitch. But maybe there is something to be said for making them do SOMETHING else if they're gonna be working once a week most of the year.

It would really make sense for younger and less experienced talents to get rented out to indies.
22 days ago
1/14/07
Size - Trying to make up for loss of live event revenue, I reckon. I hear they weren't making money on those lately anyway, but they at least made extra money from the gate of TV and PPV.

Everyone supposedly makes much more than their downside unless they're hurt all year anyway.

Not doing apologetics for Vince, I'm always on the side of the talents, and definitely don't think anyone should be forced to do Twitch. But maybe there is something to be said for making them do SOMETHING else if they're gonna be working once a week most of the year.

It would really make sense for younger and less experienced talents to get rented out to indies.

They're making record profit.

No live events was actually good for the balance sheet.

22 days ago
1/1/01
RdotC - 
Size - Trying to make up for loss of live event revenue, I reckon. I hear they weren't making money on those lately anyway, but they at least made extra money from the gate of TV and PPV.

They're making record profit.

No live events was actually good for the balance sheet.

This.

Besides - there's no way the $$$ they've saved in payroll by cutting / furloughing 40% of their workforce six months ago hasn't MORE than made up for any profit they'd have made from live shows.

22 days ago
1/14/07

I mean... if I could somehow have my employees work off the clock and generate revenue through a different company... and that money came directly to me... and I only had to give back a portion of that... while it going against their salary with me...

Well god damned pal, sign me up!

lmao

22 days ago
10/11/18
Remember that storyline years ago where Vince was drugging Linda to keep her in a medically induced coma? Someone needs to do that to Vince. Only in real life this time.
22 days ago
6/9/16

Paige railing against THE MAN!!