Art Vandelay's Pro Wrestling Ground WWE to take control of all talents Twitch channels

22 days ago
7/12/12
RdotC - 

I mean... if I could somehow have my employees work off the clock and generate revenue through a different company... and that money came directly to me... and I only had to give back a portion of that... while it going against their salary with me...

Well god damned pal, sign me up!

lmao

WWE is in a unique position in that the exposure of working for them multiplies your value elsewhere, which along with being the place to make the most money, gives them the leverage to pull that off.

Even TNA put that in place years ago, where they had to approve of all of their talents' outside bookings and took a cut as well. If guys would put up with that from TNA, they certainly will from WWE.
22 days ago
1/14/07
Size - 
RdotC - 

I mean... if I could somehow have my employees work off the clock and generate revenue through a different company... and that money came directly to me... and I only had to give back a portion of that... while it going against their salary with me...

Well god damned pal, sign me up!

lmao

WWE is in a unique position in that the exposure of working for them multiplies your value elsewhere, which along with being the place to make the most money, gives them the leverage to pull that off.

Even TNA put that in place years ago, where they had to approve of all of their talents' outside bookings and took a cut as well. If guys would put up with that from TNA, they certainly will from WWE.

Yeah... only thats not going to hold up in any court, anywhere.

Yes, they could tell talents to cease using their WWE trademarked 'work' names. But trying to take people's income from an unafilliated business which has nothing to do with 'sports entertainment' and for which they are using their real name, that shit crosses the line.

And the idea of making Twitch mandatory in new contracts is batshit crazy. 'I'm going to hire you, and force you to go work for another company when you're not working for me... only that other company has to pay me directly... and I'll give you some of that compensation back... but it will just count against what I'm supposed to be paying you in salary.'

21 days ago
9/24/18

If talent are going to use WWE’s IP to go online with a third party outlet and make money off it, they SHOULD pay a percentage of it to WWE. 

I don’t really see what the outrage here is. 

21 days ago
1/14/07
Jones right nostril - 

If talent are going to use WWE’s IP to go online with a third party outlet and make money off it, they SHOULD pay a percentage of it to WWE. 

Thats the thing... there are people NOT using WWE IP and they are still trying to take it.

And its not a percentage that WWE is taking... they are taking it all, and applying a percentage against their downside. The talent would then only see a dime of compensation after the entire downside is absorbed.

Its scummy behavior.

21 days ago
1/1/01
RdotC - 
Jones right nostril - 

Thats the thing... there are people NOT using WWE IP and they are still trying to take it.

And its not a percentage that WWE is taking... they are taking it all, and applying a percentage against their downside. The talent would then only see a dime of compensation after the entire downside is absorbed.

Its scummy behavior.

They really need a class action lawsuit; or present a united front to Vince that this is going too far.

It's like Vince really is the Mr. McMahon character he plays. he is creating a truly shitty work environment.
21 days ago
9/24/18
RdotC - 
Jones right nostril - 

Its scummy behavior.

I see. I missed that part about it coming out of their downsides. If true, that sucks for the wrestlers.

It should just be like their merch money. Whatever they make from Twitch they should get a cut of it.
21 days ago
2/4/11

It's a crappy situation all around.. I believe some if not most, have initially started with their WWE name as their handle to help get exposure. Only to recently change their handle to real name.. Think Paige started her Twitch and other stuff, then recently changed..  Even her responses posted earlier in the thread have link to realpaigewwe.. 

This might also be the problem these people will deal with.. They used their WWE name branding on Youtube, Insta, etc.. And have all these links on their Twitch, Cameo, etc.. 

So even though you change your twitch or whatever handle to your real name, all your other links still have WWE affiliation.. They probably have to severe all ties and not link to any of their WWE accounts to be in the clear.. Or not charge any money for Twitch, Cameo, etc.. Then there is no reason for E to come after them..

21 days ago
7/12/12
Jones right nostril - 
RdotC - 
Jones right nostril - 

Its scummy behavior.

I see. I missed that part about it coming out of their downsides. If true, that sucks for the wrestlers.

It should just be like their merch money. Whatever they make from Twitch they should get a cut of it.

On the bright side, it's long been said that you need to end up working very little not to exceed your downside via bonuses, at which point it is irrelevant, though there's fewer and fewer bonus opportunities these days.
21 days ago
1/1/01
Jones right nostril - 
RdotC - 
Jones right nostril - 

Its scummy behavior.

They shouldn't get a cut of it - they should get all of it.

Imagine working for a computer programming company, but because you like cars, you start a side gig working as a mechanic on the weekends during your off hours. The computer programming company finds out about it, and says they're now gonna get all the $$ from your mechanic side gig (which they're not entitled to), but they'll be cool and let you keep some of it. Oh, and by the way - the $$ they *do* let you keep from your side gig is now no longer gonna be extra income - it's gonna offset against whatever the computer programming company was supposed to pay you anyway.

And in fact, if you wanna keep your job at the computer programming company, you HAVE to have your side gig as a mechanic...but they're still not gonna let you keep all the $$$ from it, and use what $$$ they let you keep to continue offsetting what they were gonna pay you for your computer programming work.

This is what WWE is doing.

21 days ago
9/24/18
Wiggy - 
Jones right nostril - 
RdotC - 
Jones right nostril - 

Its scummy behavior.

Imagine working for a computer programming company, but because you like cars, you start a side gig working as a mechanic on the weekends during your off hours. The computer programming company finds out about it, and says they're now gonna get all the $$ from your mechanic side gig (which they're not entitled to), but they'll be cool and let you keep some of it. Oh, and by the way - the $$ they *do* let you keep from your side gig is now no longer gonna be extra income - it's gonna offset against whatever the computer programming company was supposed to pay you anyway.

And in fact, if you wanna keep your job at the computer programming company, you HAVE to have your side gig as a mechanic...but they're still not gonna let you keep all the $$$ from it, and use what $$$ they let you keep to continue offsetting what they were gonna pay you for your computer programming work.

WWE's gripe I would suspect is that when the wrestlers created their Twitch accounts, their follower base (and subsequent revenue) was built off the fact that they are on WWE TV. It doesn't really matter now if they change their accounts to their real names because their followers obviously still know it's them and are still going to follow them.

It's still a shitty thing they're doing, but honestly my only issue with it is the fact that they're off-setting it against their downsides.
21 days ago
1/1/01
Jones right nostril - 
Wiggy - 
Jones right nostril - 
RdotC - 
Jones right nostril - 

Its scummy behavior.

WWE's gripe I would suspect is that when the wrestlers created their Twitch accounts, their follower base (and subsequent revenue) was built off the fact that they are on WWE TV. It doesn't really matter now if they change their accounts to their real names because their followers obviously still know it's them and are still going to follow them.

It's still a shitty thing they're doing, but honestly my only issue with it is the fact that they're off-setting it against their downsides.

I see your point, but I still think it's bullshit claim from WWE (if that is indeed their position).

What about someone like AJ, who was already one of the most popular wrestlers in the world when he joined the company?

On the flip side, what about lesser known talent who WWE gives no time to, get themselves over by grinding on social media, that WWE then capitalizes on (the one setting the trend for this being Matt Cardona). WWE isn't going to give them extra for it.

WWE basically claiming a blanket responsibility / right to this sorta thing is crap.

21 days ago
11/11/11

Aj is a perfect example. He was an established brand for years prior to wwe and had already been using that name long before

21 days ago
8/20/15
johnnypayne - It's almost like Vince has realised what a pile of dogshit AEW actually is and has decided he can once again exploit everyone.

The wrestlers should strike and kill his TV money.

AEW is doing fine lol, and are adding a 2nd show. 

21 days ago
8/20/15
Jones right nostril -
Wiggy - 
Jones right nostril - 
RdotC - 
Jones right nostril - 

Its scummy behavior.

So someone like Disney should be able to hypothetically take Tom Holland's twitch account over, make him use twitch, take all the money and that money they give him goes towards what they owe him for making Spiderman movies? Ya know since that's how he got famous. This is hypothetical, but that's what WWE is doing. Fuck Vince, I hope the talent goes hard against him. Impact, AEW, and NJPW(especially with getting a new President) are going to love this if it causes a mass exodus. 

Does anyone see lawsuits coming from this? 

20 days ago
12/30/03

WWE is handling this so badly. Why give people a reason to further delve into your contracts?

Instead, WWE should have told them they can keep their channels but they ask that they also link a WWE official Twitch channel from their site and that they are available to stream from that channel on occassion under their WWE names.  Obviously fans of a wrestler like wrestling so they would likely jump over and sub to the WWE channel anyway. The revenue made on the WWE channel could have a percentage sent to the talent who streamed for them that day and WWE could create a symbiotic relationship with their talent. 

How is Lana, out of character, doing stupid dances and putting on make up money that WWE deserves? Her videos would get just as many views outside of the WWE as long as she wore the same outfits.