18 days ago
5/30/03

It was such an odd show.  I remember it was a PPV that came out of nowhere and they never did another one.  What was the purpose of bringing a brand new show to PPV and then killing it off right away?  

18 days ago
9/24/18

I think they were experimenting with Tuesday PPVs. I believe this show didn’t do well at all so they shit canned that idea quickly. 

18 days ago
11/11/11

The snake attack was one of the coolest and insane angles they ever pulled off

Edited: 18 days ago
12/28/12

i’d like to see that flair/piper dark match.

this ppv is on the network, right?

18 days ago
11/11/11
evh -

i’d like to see that flair/piper dark match.

this ppv is on the network, right?

Yeah the ppv is on there. Dont think that dark match is though

Edited: 18 days ago
8/31/07

This was the most carny shit WWF ever pulled IME as a kid.

My buddy's dad ordered the ppv the Sunday prior, this was pre IYH and so the Sunday ppv was a big one, Survivor Series perhaps.

Anyhow, going from childhood memory, they did a shitty finish where the heel won in a nonsatisfying way, and suddenly Hogan or whoever the hero was and the broadcasters were saying "this Tuesday in Texas...I'll get my revenge in the rematch " and kept repeating "this Tuesday in Texas" and began selling people,during a major pay per view, on some additional ppv 2 days later to see the same matches they were sold Sunday, to be resolved Tuesday.

In other words, for you, your kids to see this shit resolve, it'll be another $20 and 3hrs of your time, on a gotdamned Tuesday.

I believe this was the predecessor to In Your House ppvs, lower price point in-between ppv shows, which lead to the full on monthly ppv model and oversaturation itself.

17 days ago
12/6/10

I was going through the wwe Instagram story and they posted all the summerslam posters, I didn’t realize they used to do Monday night ppvs

17 days ago
5/12/11
savage animal -

My buddy's dad ordered the ppv the Sunday prior, this was pre IYH and so the Sunday ppv was a big one, Survivor Series perhaps.

Anyhow, going from childhood memory, they did a shitty finish where the heel won in a nonsatisfying way, and suddenly Hogan or whoever the hero was and the broadcasters were saying "this Tuesday in Texas...I'll get my revenge in the rematch " and kept repeating "this Tuesday in Texas" and began selling people,during a major pay per view, on some additional ppv 2 days later to see the same matches they were sold Sunday, to be resolved Tuesday.

In other words, for you, your kids to see this shit resolve, it'll be another $20 and 3hrs of your time, on a gotdamned Tuesday.

I believe this was the predecessor to In Your House ppvs, lower price point in-between ppv shows, which lead to the full on monthly ppv model and oversaturation itself.

The Undertaker winning his first world title off a prime Hogan.

17 days ago
7/12/12
savage animal -

That Survivor Series was the first PPV I ever saw, live too, was very young, didn't see another live 'til Mania 12 six and a half years later, haha.

17 days ago
9/24/18
thekev1130 -
savage animal -

The Undertaker winning his first world title off a prime Hogan.

Yes but it was done purely as a hook to get you to buy the rematch, hence the two day title reign which sucks. 

17 days ago
8/31/07

Im pretty sure this was the last time my buddy's dad bought ppv rasslin. I was cheering for the Undertaker, Flair came out and used a chair and/or held Hogan's boot to the canvas, I was overjoyed, my buddy's kid sister was crying, all coming back to me now, good times.

17 days ago
5/30/03
savage animal -

Your memory is pretty good.i think it was a tough sell because they used to only do 4 major shows a year,  then threw this in with no buildup. It was literally built up on survivor series whereas other PPVs used to be build up on superstars and challenge. What I didn't get was why did they make hogan drop the belt to undertaker,  then have undertaker lose in only 10 days. 

That made no sense to me. It seemed like it was done our of nowhere or hogan regretted dropping the title at SS. Cornette should comment on this. 

17 days ago
1/8/04
The Maestro - 

It was such an odd show.  I remember it was a PPV that came out of nowhere and they never did another one.  What was the purpose of bringing a brand new show to PPV and then killing it off right away?  

I remember my dad was pissed cause he had to turn around and order another PPV 5 days after Hogan lost his belt.
Edited: 17 days ago
11/11/11
The Maestro -
savage animal -

Your memory is pretty good.i think it was a tough sell because they used to only do 4 major shows a year,  then threw this in with no buildup. It was literally built up on survivor series whereas other PPVs used to be build up on superstars and challenge. What I didn't get was why did they make hogan drop the belt to undertaker,  then have undertaker lose in only 10 days. 

That made no sense to me. It seemed like it was done our of nowhere or hogan regretted dropping the title at SS. Cornette should comment on this. 

I'm inclined to think Vince had a major hard on for creating the undertaker and wanted to push undertaker as much as realistically possible even though it was clear hogan was still the golden goose.  History repeated itself with kane beating Austin for a similarly short title reign(which had dual advantage of keeping Austin in check to make him know he is dispensable in vince's eyes.)

Similar deal with million dollar man gimmick as well. Vince was really proud of those ideas and by god he was going to make sure they were pushed to the top.

17 days ago
1/8/04
The Maestro - 
savage animal -

Memory not that good actually. Survivor Series was always Thanksgiving Eve at that time, not Sunday.

It was Survivor Series '91. The only non traditional Survivor Series match on the card was Hogan/Taker. Flair interfered and cost Hogan the belt/Taker's first title reign. Hogan won it back 5 days later on Tuesday...in Texas. It was like 3 years before IYH was introduced.
17 days ago
1/1/01
savage animal - 

"My buddy's dad ordered the ppv the Sunday prior, this was pre IYH and so the Sunday ppv was a big one, Survivor Series perhaps."

The PPV wasn't on Sunday. It was Survivor Series, but that was when Survivor Series was "A Thanksgiving Night Tradition"... That being said, I *THINK* this was the first year that Survivor Series wasn't on Thanksgiving, and it was the day before Thanksgiving.

Taker beat Hogan after Flair interfered. As I recall, he Tombstoned Hogan onto a chair as the finish. Because of Flair's interference, Jack Tunney ordered an immediate rematch, at This Tuesday in Texas. WWE used their syndicated shows to spam the PPV pretty hard. I remember watching them (Wrestling Challenge and Superstars of Wrestling aired back to back in my area).

Of course, the finish at Tuesday in Texas resulted in Hogan being stripped and the title up for grabs in the Rumble.

Also, looking at the TTIT dark matches... The first half seems like a tryout for WWE. Harris Brothers, Godfather, Tatanka, Brian Lee...

FWIW, the In Your House PPVs were still several years away. I think the first was either 95 or 96.
17 days ago
6/26/00

Hogan dropping the title to undertaker with flair’s interference was when I started to STRONGLY suspect pro wrestling was “fake” lol. Kept rewinding the tombstone onto the chair, over and over and over, trying to make sense of how Hulkster could hurt his head by not even making contact with the chair 

17 days ago
9/24/18
ddk - 

Hogan dropping the title to undertaker with flair’s interference was when I started to STRONGLY suspect pro wrestling was “fake” lol. Kept rewinding the tombstone onto the chair, over and over and over, trying to make sense of how Hulkster could hurt his head by not even making contact with the chair 

Apparently Hogan claimed afterwards that Taker botched the spot and injured him with the tombstone. Which is laughable given his head was at least a foot off the canvas. 

17 days ago
1/8/04
Survivor Series (1991) was the fifth annual Survivor Series professional wrestling pay-per-view (PPV) event produced by the World Wrestling Federation (WWF). It took place on Thanksgiving Eve, November 27, 1991, at the Joe Louis Arena in Detroit, Michigan. It was the first Survivor Series to feature a singles match of any kind, where in the main event The Undertaker defeated Hulk Hogan to win the WWF World Heavyweight Championship.