Art Vandelay's Pro Wrestling Ground What are you watching on the Network?

26 days ago
9/24/18

I did myself the pleasure of watching Starrcade 1998 yesterday. It’s actually not bad but what stood out to me is the names that aren’t on the show like Hogan, Sting, Bret. 

Also the pop that Nash gets for the win is insane. I’ve never understood the shit he gets for being the one to end the streak. Seems like he was over at the time. I get it could have been used to put a younger guy over but Nash hadn’t had a run with the belt until then. 

26 days ago
8/19/03

I've always had mixed feelings about it, too.  That's the downside to booking the invincible face or heel.  It's hot when you're doing it, and they did perfectly with Goldberg, but at some point, he has to lose, right? 

Huge point of controversy.  I remember Heenan saying that they killed the Golden Goose.  I'd be interested to hear what others would have proposed.  By 1998, Nash had emerged as his own standalone brand (as opposed to primarily being partnered with Hogan and Hall) and was one of the front runners to be a top guy.

I don't know.  

26 days ago
6/4/10

About a month ago i started watching late August 1997 Raws and have been watching them in order. Currently am at July 1998. 

Watching the evolution of the production, Rise of Stonecold, Mr. McMahon, The Rock transforming and becoming the Rock character, and the start and evolution of d-x has all occurred in this time period.

There are things i didn't catch back then around those previously mentioned evolutions and how truly good those shows were. There are characters that i dont remember anything about that show up, like Brakkus. I appreciate some characters more now than then, like DOA. Very simple gimmick i didn't care for in 1997 but appreciate now. Jim Johnson themes are a national treasure. 

25 days ago
7/12/12

ECW shows taped in my area that I didn't get to attend (not many, but a handful), and episodes of The Bump with Owens and Hart. The Hart one focused on his SummerSlam moments and boy he sure had many great ones.

25 days ago
2/25/12

I'm Reliving the 90s by watching Raw and nitro week by week and pretending this is current wrestling 

Ignorance really is bliss

24 days ago
9/24/18
Dravenlives - 

I'm Reliving the 90s by watching Raw and nitro week by week and pretending this is current wrestling 

Ignorance really is bliss

10 minutes of Raw in 1998 gives me more entertainment value than a whole year of wrestling these days.
24 days ago
2/29/16

King of the Ring 93.

Awesome PPV. 

7 days ago
9/24/18
Just watched Fully Loaded 1998. Holy cow this show is the definition of attitude era. The Sable/Jackie stuff with the intentional(?) nipple slip from Jackie lol

Austin and Taker flipping eachother off at the start of the main event was also great.

6 days ago
2/29/16

Planning on watching Wrestlemania 17 tonight.

Edited: 5 days ago
8/19/03

Started watching the "Nitro Era".  Started in September 95 and watching all Nitros and PPV's.  Might even start watching Saturday Night.

Loving it.  Hard to even articulate how much better it is.  I will stand behind my comment that Sargeant Craig Pittman and Eddy Guerrero could have a better six minute match to open nitro than most of today's shit heads could have main eventing Dynamite or Raw. It's really pretty amazing. Just the average matches are so enjoyable to watch. 

Nitro from maybe late '95-'99 demonstrates that spotfests can be done effectively when not overdone and placed properly within the show format.