Art Vandelay's Pro Wrestling Ground Wrestler meetings - Who is the best?

20 days ago
12/30/03

Necro Butcher is a nice dude that drinks the cheapest beer available. I met him back when I was doing MMA. I'm pretty certain he was living with a hooker in Japan at the time but I could be mistaken. 

20 days ago
7/12/12
WrestlingSucks - 

Necro Butcher is a nice dude that drinks the cheapest beer available. I met him back when I was doing MMA. I'm pretty certain he was living with a hooker in Japan at the time but I could be mistaken. 

I ended up with a Necro shoot interview from a DVD lot on eBay before and was surprised at how enjoyable it was. He seemed like one of the coolest guys in the business. I remember him talking about how uninterested he was in hocking merch at shows, that he didn't like to see guys hung up on that and wasn't in wrestling to wring maximum dollars from fans.

He struck me as an artist with his heart in the proper place. Not that I have any issue with those maximizing the payoff of the steep sacrifices of a career in wrestling. And it's too bad that in Necro's case, he could sure use the money from such an approach nowadays.

In Gabe's Book of ROH Secrets, he talked about how he was grooming Necro to be ready to take the ROH World Championship in the event that he might catch celebrity fire from The Wrestler. What a sight that would've been, haha, but he was much more than a garbage wrestler, deceptively well-rounded in the ring and by having a strong persona and mic skill.
19 days ago
12/14/00

One encounter that stood out to me was as I was exiting the Barrett-Jackson auction in Scottsdale. I'm not a huge car guy, so I was just there to get unlimited drinks in the bidders' lounge. I was double fisting and pretty toasty as I ran into Bill Goldberg coming out the bathroom. I had shoulder checked Alice Cooper earlier in the day on accident, so I made sure not to do the same to Bill. I struck up conversation talking about the Strikeforce HWGP that was about to happen. We chatted MMA as we walked towards the exit. I stopped as we reached it since I still had drinks to finish. Bill stopped as well to keep the convo going. Even after downing the cocktails, we still talked a bit longer. He reached out to shake my hand to say goodbye.  Just two dudes talking fights, no mention of wrestling or taking pics. It was a great time.

19 days ago
12/30/03
Size -
WrestlingSucks - 

I ended up with a Necro shoot interview from a DVD lot on eBay before and was surprised at how enjoyable it was. He seemed like one of the coolest guys in the business. I remember him talking about how uninterested he was in hocking merch at shows, that he didn't like to see guys hung up on that and wasn't in wrestling to wring maximum dollars from fans.

He struck me as an artist with his heart in the proper place. Not that I have any issue with those maximizing the payoff of the steep sacrifices of a career in wrestling. And it's too bad that in Necro's case, he could sure use the money from such an approach nowadays.

In Gabe's Book of ROH Secrets, he talked about how he was grooming Necro to be ready to take the ROH World Championship in the event that he might catch celebrity fire from The Wrestler. What a sight that would've been, haha, but he was much more than a garbage wrestler, deceptively well-rounded in the ring and by having a strong persona and mic skill.

A former local indie guy told us a story about wrestling Necro that stuck out to me. 

Necro came into the area to do a short run. He was chosen as his opponent. They were to have two matches over the course of a month. 

The first match Necro is hitting him with live rounds and no selling all of his offense. Basically just completely jobbing him around. It was a hardcore match so he's getting blasted with toasters, chairs, the works. 

After the match, he's bummed out and beat up. 

The next match they had came and he was stressed out, losing sleep because he knew it was going to be another beating. He was hyping himself up that he wasn't going to be taken advantage of and fight Necro if it came to it. 

The match starts and Necro works light as a feather the whole match. He's not even sore afterwards. 

Later Necro thanks him for the matches and the promoter tells him that Necro tests newer guys he doesn't know because he doesn't want to have a bad match that looks shitty. He was buddies with Necro after that.

19 days ago
7/12/12
Great story, such an interesting culture in wrestling. People completely on the outside love touting themselves as so much more enlightened than such behavior, and Necro in the first match does seem excessive to my outsider perspective, almost but not quite like how some hazing seems more about some guys being sick bastards rather than necessary testing of mettle, tempering of toughness, and building of camaraderie. But I think most of the conventions of wrestling culture exist and persist due to serving important purposes in this uniquely challenging and cooperative industry.
18 days ago
8/14/12

Jerry lawlor-comicon he was cool

christian-Comic-Con very nice guy 

dolph ziggler mentioned never noticed his cauliflower ears & mentioned mmy BJJ & not having them he said you must be beating everyone then lol he was very nice

Shinsuke barley said a word but was  polite 

18 days ago
12/30/03
Size - Great story, such an interesting culture in wrestling. People completely on the outside love touting themselves as so much more enlightened than such behavior, and Necro in the first match does seem excessive to my outsider perspective, almost but not quite like how some hazing seems more about some guys being sick bastards rather than necessary testing of mettle, tempering of toughness, and building of camaraderie. But I think most of the conventions of wrestling culture exist and persist due to serving important purposes in this uniquely challenging and cooperative industry.

Yeah, a quick search on Youtube could show you how shitty alot of hardcore "workers" can be. I imagine for a guy like Necro to travel around and have promoters book them in hardcore matches, it can be daunting. He has to give his fans a great show to protect his brand but it's not like he is always working with great workers so it stands to reason he would have to rough people up until he knows they can work.