David Jacobs' BJJGround 25 year old student sexing 16 year old student

7/16/19 12:41 PM
8/28/10
misterw -

Except that w/ sports coaches you are often talking about adults and adolescents.  BJJ you are talking about an adult learning from an adult.  I don't think it is an issue for a BJJ instructor to date a student, any more than it would be for someone to date their piano teacher, they are both consenting adults.  If it becomes a pattern, then it could easily negatively impact the gym's atmosphere, but that is a separate issue than whether one is taking advantage of a supposed position of authority.  

In this instance it is an adult and an adolescent

7/16/19 3:25 PM
2/1/08

Right.  But there were some people who seemed to be saying that just an instructor dating another adult student would be wrong.  

7/16/19 4:11 PM
12/22/10
misterw -

Right.  But there were some people who seemed to be saying that just an instructor dating another adult student would be wrong.  

It's not necessarily wrong but it's shitting where you eat type of situation (adults banging).  If it doesn't work out you could lose a student (money) or drama (money).

7/16/19 4:42 PM
7/30/03
quality -
misterw -

It's not necessarily wrong but it's shitting where you eat type of situation (adults banging).  If it doesn't work out you could lose a student (money) or drama (money).

And if it does workout you gain a lot more. Life is a risk man.

https://youtu.be/ijo93WzPuW8

7/16/19 5:20 PM
2/1/08
quality -
misterw -

I agree with you.  Some people seemed to be saying it was an imbalance of power in the relationship, which I think is silly.  

7/19/19 5:25 PM
6/28/11

I support you OP. 9 years is a huge gap. Especially since those 9 years are more than half the girls age. Also, he was in a "position of authority" over her. I feel that it's a violation of trust. And if they do break up and he does it again, and again, and again the drama it can cause the owner could really mess up the whole gym and lead to a mass exodus. 

7/21/19 1:21 AM
7/12/03
quality - 

Definitely an ethical issue.  You go to BJJ much more than you go to a doctor.  I would think a more valid comparison is a BJJ instructor to the student's high school teacher.  Would it be right for the high school teacher to fuck his student?

Most states have passed laws against this, some even make it illegal if the student is 18. Whats funny is that it used to be legal pretty much everywhere and those laws are only recent.
28 days ago
3/27/14

Not surprised if something similar comes to light regarding the owner of the gym. Teacher banging a 16 yr old student should ruin every gyms rep.

28 days ago
8/27/08

Legal or not it’s wrong.

26 days ago
1/1/01
Honest Lee - 

Legal or not it’s wrong.

YEP! It's unethical and immoral!
Edited: 19 days ago
10/25/06
I normally would have zero issue with this.

I however do feel this particular situation is against the martial arts code. The 25 year old should not train the 16 year old in a group setting nor should the 25 year old train the 16 year old individually without the parents consent.

It's absolutely not like a regular teacher. The 16 year old isnt required to bjj like they are actial school.