David Jacobs' BJJGround 3 Waiter Sweep Entries

17 days ago
7/28/02

New tutorial from BJJ Path, free for the week:

3 Waiter Sweep Entries

I freaking love the waiter sweep.

17 days ago
11/10/05

I'm a big fan of the waiter sweep myself. I commonly use the dirty on (leg inside rather than wrapped around the outside) and do this off technical mount escape. A lot of times you don't have a choice but leg inside is the one I really like. This finish to side control is easier too, because your non-pendulum leg can staple his thigh as you hip switch into side control.. so you're far less likely to end up in 1/2 guard.

on your basic setup:

I think an addl point to emphasize is doing a change in direction during the sweep. Initially you drive perpendicular to his thigh, but he'll base with his right hand (your yuke isn't doing that at all) As he does that, you complete the sweep by finishing towards his back

x-guard setup:

curious why you're choosing to cross your legs on that one?

spider:

seems like something to avoid against a leg locker. Are you doing anything to mitigate that? Also wondering why you're not penduluming your left foot under you ass?

16 days ago
1/1/01

One of my favourite sweeps.  I always tend to go over under to finish the pass after the sweep.  Good vids.

16 days ago
7/28/02

I use the waiter sweep as my go-to against probably more folks than any other sweep.  Meatgrinder, I tend to really, really try to get into 50/50 or other "exchanging" leglock type positions; hence my desire to go to this spot.  I really don't ever get leglocked from there, and there are a lot fo subtleties to the defenses I use.  TL;DR version:  come visit Richmond and I will be happy to show you!

14 days ago
11/10/05
goatfury - 

I use the waiter sweep as my go-to against probably more folks than any other sweep.  Meatgrinder, I tend to really, really try to get into 50/50 or other "exchanging" leglock type positions; hence my desire to go to this spot.  I really don't ever get leglocked from there, and there are a lot fo subtleties to the defenses I use.  TL;DR version:  come visit Richmond and I will be happy to show you!

If I ever get in that vicinity, I'd def reach out.

13 days ago
7/28/02
Meatgrinder - 
goatfury - 

We are just a hop, skip, and jump away from Massachussets (did I remember that right?)! 

10 days ago
11/10/05
goatfury - 
Meatgrinder - 
goatfury - 

We are just a hop, skip, and jump away from Massachussets (did I remember that right?)! 

I try to ignore that NY and NJ even exists... so yeah I think so.

10 days ago
2/27/08

It's my most used sweep but the one I have the littlest idea of how I end up there. Amongst the chaos of half/deep half/defending passes it just happens.