12 days ago
7/28/02

New tutorial for you guys, free for the week:

Amassa Pão Choke

Special thanks to Steve Bowers for the guest videos!

12 days ago
8/20/16

I've recently been doing a lot of Amassa Pao stuff ever since I learned how to use it to counter the cross choke. Now I'm using it to open guards.

12 days ago
8/20/16

Those videos are awesome! I had no idea you could do that choke from closed guard. I always thought you needed the floor to help out with it.

12 days ago
1/1/01

amassa pao/hape-choke and popup are core elements to VT.....REAL JIUJITSU FTW!

12 days ago
12/18/03
blabbermouth - 

Those videos are awesome! I had no idea you could do that choke from closed guard. I always thought you needed the floor to help out with it.

You can, but you have to be wary of being armbarred, as you are essentially overextending an arm (and thus you have to be ready to abandon it quickly).

I believe that's why Luis mentions using it as a way to get openings, rather than a way to get submissions.

12 days ago
8/20/16
MarsMan -
blabbermouth - 

You can, but you have to be wary of being armbarred, as you are essentially overextending an arm (and thus you have to be ready to abandon it quickly).

I believe that's why Luis mentions using it as a way to get openings, rather than a way to get submissions.

No, man! When I said those videos were awesome and I didn't know you could do that I meant YOUR videos were awesome. I never knew you could thrust choke someone in your guard; I thought it was only a way to attack someone's closed guard.

Your vids are always great!

12 days ago
12/18/03

I wish I could take credit for those videos that you liked so much, but I actually never even made one :)

12 days ago
8/20/16

Lmao I'm so confused. Goatfury's videos are awesome. Sorry, thought you were Goatfury. Going to log off the internet now.

12 days ago
9/18/02
Wow

1 of the first moves Relson taught us 20 + years ago

Thanks
12 days ago
1/1/01
seek - Wow

1 of the first moves Relson taught us 20 + years ago

Thanks

"Bah....he ded"

11 days ago
2/15/14
Sgt. Slaphead -

why is it so important? There is no gi or fabric in vale tudo.

i think amassa pao is undertaught today and is a great move for inside control. just wondering why you find it useful for vale tudo

11 days ago
8/17/08

I still use this as a way to make guys panic and move that have a frustrating guard to pass

11 days ago
1/1/01
mideastgrappler -
Sgt. Slaphead -

why is it so important? There is no gi or fabric in vale tudo.

i think amassa pao is undertaught today and is a great move for inside control. just wondering why you find it useful for vale tudo

hape choke& popup.  also if person wearing jacket....people dont walk around in VT shorts. Look at heridas example.

VT is fighting with jiujitsu...not relegated only ring fighting. There is no SD without VT. In training im always practicing elements of VY even if not striking....handfighting, grips, pinning, arm control&awareness, etc, and amassa pao is one core technique. Focusing on amasa pao makes me practice getting inside control, counter gripping and default hand position8ng for my striking. My primary goal in training is to practice certain things during grappling that apply to VT skillset....the rest is screwing around for fun.

11 days ago
1/1/01

your point about inside control is very inportant onewhen it com3s to VT....and something i dont see often taught or articulated. Nobody cares because jiuitdu is focused on sport grappling which is much more sophisticated and focused purely on grappling, ig oring a broader application of grappling technique.

11 days ago
7/28/02
blabbermouth - 

Lmao I'm so confused. Goatfury's videos are awesome. Sorry, thought you were Goatfury. Going to log off the internet now.

Hey, thanks!  Steve Bowers (Steve72) gets all credit for the technique.  I've been friends with Steve for a long time, and we have a 4-man black belt division at a tournament I ran maybe 10 years ago.  I watched him choke another friend (and fellow black belt) unconscious with this version of the choke (the 2nd video in the tutorial).  

The words are all mine, though, so I'll take all the credit.