David Jacobs' BJJGround Another problem instructor in bjj?

4/20/15 3:15 AM
2/28/03
There must be more since he stepped down this week and this woman said this happens a while ago Phone Post 3.0
4/20/15 9:43 AM
10/13/05

hmmm, she must really have enjoyed the atmosphere at the gym to stay there after, not 1, not 2, but repeated unwanted sexual advances.

i mean, im no prude, but someone pulling me aside and asking for oral sex, in a non joking manner is usually grounds for a, "get the fuck away from me, im gonna tell everyone how much of a creep you are", but no, for this person, it was merely a stop behaving in this manner, and pretend like it never happened.

4/20/15 10:38 AM
7/1/09
Another post from Bullshido... Fair warning, it's a wall of FRAT...

anonym2008 - My Story

"I want to start off by saying that i 100% believe the allegations to be true. you ask why? Because i have been a victim. My brother and I started going to solis martial arts when we were very young. I believe my brother was 5 or 6 and i was about 10. The school became a family. My parents got involved and we became very good friends with the solis family. My parents trusted Alvis with everything. He and his family were labeled family friends and even invited to family functions. I also want to add that as i got older i remember a couple of women who out of the blue left the school when they were really active before and then were talked very badly about once they left. I was young so wasnt given all the details.

Now lets fast forward to 2008 when i was 18 years old, my parents and my brother were still attending the school and i had put on some weight that i wanted to get off. Alvis informed my parents that he would give me free personal training lessons in order to help me lose weight as a favor to friends. I took him up on it.

Day one he informs me that all his female students weight in in their underwear. He named a few of the other students that i knew and respected for years and informed me that if i was serious and wanted to model or fight this was something i was going to have to do. I trusted him so didn't even question it, i knew weigh ins for fights were done in underwear so i chalked it up to part of it. He would make sexual comments to me and play them off as joking so i thought it was part of his adult humor and thought that theres no way this man that was so close to my family really meant it or was serious. There was one instance that he said that my bra weighed to much and he couldnt get an accurate weight with it on. so without question i took it off. At this point he never touched me but did make comments about my boobs. Thats when i started questioning his motives.

A week or so later he started making comments about how i owed him for the personal training that he was giving me. He said he is worth $100 a half hour and what was i going to do for him. he then said that he was just kidding. He liked to talk about how close him and my parents were etc also to reiterate the trust. Each week it got worse. It finally got to the point that he was outright saying im giving you free personal training when are you going to f*** me. i would tell him i wasnt and began mentioning things to my grandma that things just didnt feel right. He then started sending me myspace messages asking me for photos of me because he needed to see if i would take good photos for modeling. I kept telling him no and just about everyday id get a message asking for photos. The next personal training session after that he went on to tell me that he had saved photos off my myspace back when i was 16 and had them as his screen saver until his wife told him to take them off that would have been in 2006. He also told me hed been watching me for a long time.

The following personal training after that i went to leave when the other instructor and his student were leaving the building and alvis cornered me to come back inside. I was scared and immediately sat down in front of the open windows. He then sat down in a chair and scooted up towards me and started to stick his and up my pants, i kept trying to swat him off but he continued and got more and more forceful. I started to curl up my legs and talk about church and god. He then started telling me how all the women want him at church etc. I curled up into fetel position and held my legs tight while he continued but i tried to keep my cool not knowing what was going to set him off to become more forceful. A student then walked in for the morning class (who happened to by my best friends husband) I then began to talk to him as i got up and walked out before he could have gone to the back to change clothes.

At that point is when i told my family and friends and never went back again. Family and friends tried to confront them and his only response was that I wanted him and i wanted it. He then played me off to be the liar when i told the truth and as he had done before turned several people against me. I would like to add that the people who believed him and not me are no longer at that school because truth finally came out."
4/20/15 10:47 AM
7/1/09
dojo stormer - That sounds believable....

I agree that both accounts so far, as presented, make you go hmmm...but I guess we'll see
4/20/15 11:51 AM
3/15/15
The problem is sexy gis.
4/20/15 11:58 AM
2/28/03
Oh shit. This is bad Phone Post 3.0
4/20/15 12:52 PM
7/1/09
and another...

Blue88

"I am a woman and I was a former student of Alvis Solis. I had a lot of respect for him for what he did. He was a leader. All of that changed the day he asked me kiss him on the lips. I kept telling him no. He then proceeded to asked me to kiss him on the cheek instead. And I still refused. I was crushed because I was torn between my love for jiu jitsu and the creep who taught it to me.

I figured he would stop his advances because I kept telling him no. However, the sexual harassment continued. He would ask me what color panties I wore. He would constantly grab my butt. Even on the mats he would make sexual remarks to me and other females, one of which was an underage girl.

I left the school because I could not take the sexual harassment. It was not going to stop. It did not stop with just me. He made me hate jiu jitsu. It is ironic that Alvis Solis was teaching a self defense art but would prey on women. Eventually, I was able to join a different team with absolutely no drama. And I can continue my training, what I love to do."
4/20/15 1:15 PM
7/1/09
From facebook post...

Northside Gym Mma -

"I started hearing rumors like these back in 2007/2008. Some of these stories I have heard before. But these are all from some time ago. My question is what came out recently to make the man leave his business and livelihood? Had to be something big. Cause obviously accusations in the past didn't lead to him leaving."
4/20/15 2:18 PM
4/26/13
Didn't Solis used to post here? Phone Post 3.0
4/20/15 3:14 PM
2/28/03
UGCTT_Fillthy -
checkuroil - Oh shit. This is bad Phone Post 3.0

As bad as students looking at their laptops during presentations, or BJJ GoFundMe campaigns?

Just trying to get a feel for how 'bad' this is...

Not that bad Phone Post 3.0
4/20/15 3:20 PM
2/25/14

A Carlos Machado black belt.  Just like Klay Pittman.....

Edited: 4/21/15 11:53 AM
2/25/14

Not only can I not stand this kind of behavior, I really dislike any instructor that gets social with females in the in the academy.  It's a straight up abuse of trust and power.    It usually ends badly.

4/20/15 4:05 PM
9/28/10
JoejitsuMD - Wow, sounds like she put up with that sort of unwanted attention for an unnecessarily long time... Phone Post 3.0
Just so I am clear....are you justifying his behavior because you "feel she put up with it for an unnecessarily long time?"

You realize she was a victim, correct? No one can anticipate how one will react to victim-hood. Some take longer than others to address being a victim and some never do. Ability, willingness, how one handles or doesn't handle being victimized never indicates fault on the part of the victim.

Only on the aggressor Phone Post 3.0
4/20/15 4:09 PM
9/28/10
walbjj -

hmmm, she must really have enjoyed the atmosphere at the gym to stay there after, not 1, not 2, but repeated unwanted sexual advances.

i mean, im no prude, but someone pulling me aside and asking for oral sex, in a non joking manner is usually grounds for a, "get the fuck away from me, im gonna tell everyone how much of a creep you are", but no, for this person, it was merely a stop behaving in this manner, and pretend like it never happened.

Really? again with the blame on her? Come on dude, it isn't her responsibility to leave or take any action once she made it clear his advances were unacceptable. It is his for continuing on a course of action which was made clear was unwelcome. Phone Post 3.0
4/20/15 6:20 PM
1/1/01
Jessy Ringquist - 
walbjj -

Really? again with the blame on her? Come on dude, it isn't her responsibility to leave or take any action once she made it clear his advances were unacceptable. It is his for continuing on a course of action which was made clear was unwelcome. Phone Post 3.0

Honestly, I wonder if some of these guys have wives, girlfriends, sisters or mothers. Women don't typically react the way many men do. They aren't taught to speak out or defend themselves again scum bags. If they do then they are labeled as troublemakers or bitches so they giggle and leave without making a scene. Instead of questioning the victims for coming back you might want to ask the predator why he kept up the bad behavior.
4/20/15 6:51 PM
9/28/10
Hey Beer Man -
Jessy Ringquist - 
walbjj -

Honestly, I wonder if some of these guys have wives, girlfriends, sisters or mothers. Women don't typically react the way many men do. They aren't taught to speak out or defend themselves again scum bags. If they do then they are labeled as troublemakers or bitches so they giggle and leave without making a scene. Instead of questioning the victims for coming back you might want to ask the predator why he kept up the bad behavior.
Exactly. Vtfu Phone Post 3.0
4/20/15 7:39 PM
7/23/05
Ok. Didn't know thats how females reacted to harassment. Sort of counter intuitive to a males reaction. If someone got up in my grill or harassed me I would question their motives. But that's why I guess men and women are different.
4/20/15 8:23 PM
4/24/08

Looks like it's pretty fucked up...I've seen creepers hit on the girls in class, but these stories are nuts 

4/20/15 9:25 PM
10/13/05
Jessy Ringquist -
walbjj -

Don't try and understand the rationale of a creeper. They won't usually stop unless they get arrested. It would be naive to think her saying "no" is enough to make him stop. Phone Post 3.0
4/20/15 10:21 PM
12/1/00
It makes me sad and angry that women feel they can't readily speak out against this type of behavior.

What does Joe Rogan always say? Bjj eliminates the douchebags? In my many years of training, I can say that it certainly does not.
4/20/15 11:49 PM
2/28/03
It just gives douche bags a powerful weapon with which to manipulate others Phone Post 3.0
4/21/15 12:03 AM
7/1/09
What is surprising to me is that it seems this is old news for many people in the Houston BJJ community. I was under the impression he had a pretty good reputation? Apparently, I was out of the loop.
4/21/15 12:09 AM
6/13/06
The women's reactions don't surprise me at all, and it doesn't justify his behavior. Abusers love to make victims feel like they are the isolated incident, and that isolation is what allows abusers to be hidden. One young "nobody" girl speaks out against a beloved instructor and, swiftly, all of his supporters come out to label the girl a slut, troublemaker, drama queen, whatever. When you think you're the only person who has been through it, especially without any proof, speaking out is almost as horrifying as the incident itself. Beyond that, too negative of a reaction can incite violence. You just want to reject advances in the least dramatic way and wish it would all go away.
4/21/15 12:52 AM
9/28/11
I've cautioned many of the people involved to be wary of exposing themselves too legal liability for a slander suit. Yes truth is a defense, but you gotta pay thousands in legal bills to get your day in court. Plus a lot of these allegations are immoral but not illegal, hence no criminal charges filed yet. So don't be surprised if you never hear all the proof, details, etc.
4/21/15 1:46 AM
11/11/11
in