David Jacobs' BJJGround Another problem instructor in bjj?

4/21/15 1:47 AM
2/28/03
UGCTT_Fillthy -

Since he's already stepped down, what financial harm would he be able to demonstrate at this point?

Future earnings potential Phone Post 3.0
4/21/15 8:05 AM
7/1/09
GeorgetteOden - I've cautioned many of the people involved to be wary of exposing themselves too legal liability for a slander suit. Yes truth is a defense, but you gotta pay thousands in legal bills to get your day in court. Plus a lot of these allegations are immoral but not illegal, hence no criminal charges filed yet. So don't be surprised if you never hear all the proof, details, etc.

Had you heard any of these rumors surrounding Alvis going back to 07/08'?

Judging by your comment on Bullshido, ("I feel like I was used to cloak his real game in my sincere fight against sexual abuse in Jiu jitsu.") it would seem you were unaware as well.
Edited: 4/21/15 8:45 AM
2/25/08
That Nick Schultz story is off because I was one that walked him out of the tournament & Pablo Silva was the one pleading for him to stay because he needed a coach. I said no, gave him his money back, walked him to the door and said he could find the parking lot on his own. Done deal.

As for Alvis, that is tough news. He let me train at his gym free of charge when I was out of work and I really considered him a friend. When people that left would tell me the stories of what he did I was mortified. I just feel really sad for everybody involved.
4/21/15 11:32 AM
5/28/03

Martial arts in general is full of scumbags.

The problem is that anyone can make any accusation and not need an ounce of proof.

Very few will back their coach or instructor against bad allegations, just out of fear of being involved with such ugliness.

4/21/15 11:51 AM
7/1/09
HELWIG - 

The problem is that anyone can make any accusation and not need an ounce of proof.

Very few will back their coach or instructor against bad allegations, just out of fear of being involved with such ugliness.

Are you implying that is what is happening here?
4/21/15 12:01 PM
1/12/09
What a scum bag.

I personally don't feel comfortable training alone with a woman or kids. There should always be a third party around to prevent this sort of behavior, avoid misunderstandings, and protect all parties. As a matter of policy I think gyms should ensure there's always at least three people around.
4/21/15 2:16 PM
2/28/03
When this many people come out it's usually indicative of the truth Phone Post 3.0
4/21/15 2:29 PM
3/15/15
Judo Scott - What a scum bag.

I personally don't feel comfortable training alone with a woman or kids. There should always be a third party around to prevent this sort of behavior, avoid misunderstandings, and protect all parties. As a matter of policy I think gyms should ensure there's always at least three people around.

My old instructor required at LEAST 2 people to run a class for strictly defensible legal reasons. Later he made it a minimum of THREE people needed. If he was giving a private lesson, he required one other person be there (and that person would also act as the dummy).
It's best practice nowadays.
4/21/15 2:37 PM
1/1/01
FaceToFace - 
HELWIG - 

Are you implying that is what is happening here?

Don't see it as that, just him giving a grown up response as to the ways of the world. Now w all the stories coming out where there is smoke there def is fire, but its still smarter to wait for things of substance to come out (as there seems to be now) before making judgement. Like Helwig said, you have scumbags in martial arts just like you do everywhere. Its important to out them and where there is evidence it has to be exposed as otherwise it can degenerate into accusations that could be actually baseless. So in other words we need any and all info so we can legit get rid of trash and not harm people who are actually NOT in the wrong.
Edited: 4/21/15 3:30 PM
9/30/14
This is unfortunate to hear, but I am glad these women are finally coming forward. I'm sure there are plenty more and I hope they come forward as well. I had heard these rumors, and trained alongside one of the girls from the post in Bullshido. This was back in 07/08. I initially heard the rumors from training partners and instructors there. I heard of her specific story and was told there had been others too.<br />People in the BJJ community talk a lot though so I didn't know what to believe. I had a falling out with my instructor and due to my location trained under Alvis for quite some time. He was always nice to me. Although it always seemed like he had a cult like following. I understand respect for instructors, but it was as if he was everything to some of these people. That always through me off. I've been told he has a degree in psychology. I just couldn't buy in to that mentality. I made friends there and respect a lot of the competitors from SMAA. It just didn't fit me.<br />In the meantime I heard rumors of him being a womanizer. I never heard these from a direct source though. My question was why did he step down this past week. Why not before? I know people had left his gym because of said rumors in the past. But that didn't cause him to do so before. <br />I heard from a friend who was a member there that before the last weigh-ins (April 18 competition) that he came on to a female student. I don't know details, nor will I speculate. But it seems similar to one of the other posts from a different girl on Bullshido. This student was newer and not yet influenced (brainwashed) like many of the others. She spoke out and made more aware. This is all the info I have. Once again none of these are from a direct source, all indirect. He may have not done anything illegaly but it is still wrong. As instructors you are there to empower your students. Not make them victims or conquests. Hope this influences other to come forward and shed light on the situation.<br />Lastly I feel for Alvis's family. His wife and kids are truly sweet people with seemingly big hearts.
4/21/15 4:00 PM
6/13/06
RE: "a lot of people talk so I don't know what to believe..."

I have crosstrained at many gyms, have tons of female BJJ contacts across the world and a good number of them have transferred gyms in the process. These stories are almost exclusively benign; simply a instructor or training partner preference, issue of money or dissatisfaction with instruction. While not impossible, I find it extremely highly unlikely that a group of women would all come forward with sexual harassment allegations if they simply changed gyms on bad terms. I understand your hesitation at judgment, but I still find it to be much more likely that something sketchy has been going on. Phone Post 3.0
4/21/15 4:01 PM
1/1/01
What Hillary said. If its one then ok maybe you can have some questions. If its a group and over the years then that is smoke, and where there is smoke there is fire. Add in hero worship/cult like worship like is being talked about and we have a problem.
4/21/15 5:12 PM
2/25/08
Two of my local (Houston) female BJJ friends have told me stories of what happened to them and I 100% believe them. It really made me think back to when I trained there he told me some personal stuff that I had no business knowing. After reading all of the comments in Bullshido it makes me wonder if he thought he could groom me into a being a victim. It makes me sick to the stomach. I really, truly trusted that he was my friend because he really knows how to make you feel like a part of the family. I just hate that this is happening. I didn't even put it together until he "left" Machado. Slowly affiliates started dropping and about 2 weeks ago people started saying that shit was about to hit the fan. It's just terrible.
Edited: 4/21/15 5:50 PM
1/1/01

I really wonder --and I'm not joking-- if there's a link between the types of instructors who do this sort of thing (sexually abuse students) and "McDojoism" in the martial arts. It seems to me there is. Perhaps it's that the personality of an instructor who would sexually abuse students is fundamentally not very different from the personailty of an instructor who would rip-off students.

It just seems that it is disproportinately instructors really into the "make as much $$$ off students as possible" mindset who are doing this stuff.

Just a thought.

4/21/15 6:40 PM
7/23/05
I know I'm a bitter person and shit but I just don't put much trust in most people. I have the view that people are stupid pieces of shit until they can prove me wrong. Has worked for me for 40 years Obviously I'm exaggerating it a bit but it's my general premise
4/21/15 9:54 PM
7/1/09
shen -

I really wonder --and I'm not joking-- if there's a link between the types of instructors who do this sort of thing (sexually abuse students) and "McDojoism" in the martial arts. It seems to me there is. Perhaps it's that the personality of an instructor who would sexually abuse students is fundamentally not very different from the personailty of an instructor who would rip-off students.

It just seems that it is disproportinately instructors really into the "make as much $$$ off students as possible" mindset who are doing this stuff.

Just a thought.

I would agree with they assessment Phone Post 3.0
4/21/15 9:55 PM
7/1/09
that* Phone Post 3.0
4/21/15 10:17 PM
5/28/03
"Are you implying that is what is happening here?"

Not at all. In fact it almost without a doubt must be true at this point.

Im saying the problem with these sorts of offenses is that theres no evidence other than word of mouth.

So 3 people can all say an instructor touched them or said ___ and theres no establishing a concrete basis.

In theory the instructor could have displeased them via contract dispute, witholding promotions, etc and they could ruin him in a heartbeat.

However, a TON of instructors do sexually abuse their students in the martial arts and tell themselves its ok or something they are entitled to.

TONS of BJJ instructors also cheat on their wives while traveling and rationalize it.

It sucks.

Should be one strike and youre out. Banned from all functions within the community.

4/22/15 11:11 AM
1/14/08
lam - Does he have anything to do with Old Man Jiu jitsu?

Just a question, I could be confused.

What else is he associated with, the name is so familiar.

Old Man Jiu Jitsu is owned and operated by ED Solis. No relation as far as I know.

Ed is a stand up guy, BJJ practitioner, but not an instructor or school owner.

Chango
4/22/15 12:45 PM
10/3/12
Ahah. Thank you for clarifying.
4/22/15 1:18 PM
5/5/11
I saw this on the UG.

Not sure if it's been posted here or not but here is another one.

http://www.kptv.com/story/28867765/portland-martial-arts-academy-owner-charged-with-sex-abuse

4/22/15 1:52 PM
2/25/08
Good lord, man. Smh
Edited: 4/22/15 1:53 PM
2/25/08

Portland martial arts academy owner charged with sex abuse

Posted: Apr 22, 2015 7:50 AM CDT Updated: Apr 22, 2015 11:30 AM CDT

Eben Kaneshiro (Photo: Facebook)

PORTLAND, OR (KPTV) -

The owner of a Portland martial arts academy is facing sex abuse charges in Deschutes County.

MOREAdditional LinksPoll

Police arrested Eben Kaneshiro Monday. Kaneshiro owns New Breed Jiu-Jitsu Academy on Southeast Foster Road in Portland, according to the business license.

Kaneshiro is charged with three counts felony sodomy 1 and three counts of sex abuse.

According to jail records, the incident happened Sunday. Kaneshiro will be in court April 27 at 1:30 p.m. He is being held on $500,000 bail.

Check back for more details on this developing story.

Copyright 2015 KPTV-KPDX Broadcasting Corporation. All rights reserved.

Read more: http://www.kptv.com/story/28867765/portland-martial-arts-academy-owner-charged-with-sex-abuse#ixzz3Y3tRiQ6k

Edited: 4/22/15 4:30 PM
1/1/01

^ Yep. BJJ is exactly as good at training people to be virtuous citizens as motocross is.

4/22/15 4:59 PM
5/18/06
shen - 

^ Yep. BJJ is exactly as good at training people to be virtuous citizens as motocross is.

Sounds to me like someone is not putting the 12 Commandments of Carlos Gracie into practice. Not much BJJ can do for you if you don't try. :(