David Jacobs' BJJGround Another problem instructor in bjj?

4/22/15 5:30 PM
4/26/13
shen -

^ Yep. BJJ is exactly as good at training people to be virtuous citizens as motocross is.

Bro, I learned all my life lessons behind those handlebars. I became a man on that dirt track Phone Post 3.0
Edited: 4/22/15 5:54 PM
1/1/01
Easters - 
shen -

^ Yep. BJJ is exactly as good at training people to be virtuous citizens as motocross is.

Bro, I learned all my life lessons behind those handlebars. I became a man on that dirt track Phone Post 3.0

Yes... and you learned to really THINK --it's just like chess!

Some of my favorite quotes that embrace the motocross lifestyle:

"You don't stop traning motocross when you get old, you get old when you stop training motocross"

"A motocross champion is a beginner who just didn't quit"

"A motocross belt only covers a few inches of your ass, the rest you need to back on your own."

"The biggest gift I ever recived as a motocross rider is without a question, the capacity to be in peace"

"There's more philosophy in motocross than in any Ivy League school in America."

etc.

4/22/15 6:01 PM
5/18/06
Let's not forget:

“I am a shark, the motorcross track is my ocean, and most people don’t know how to swim.”
4/22/15 6:37 PM
1/1/01
The Mat Pimp - Let's not forget:

“I am a shark, the motorcross track is my ocean, and most people don’t know how to swim.”

That quote always get me pumped up to ride!

4/22/15 6:59 PM
4/23/12
< in the Houston area and there's a lot of he said , she said going on around
4/22/15 7:53 PM
5/18/06
UGCTT_Fillthy - 
shen - 
The Mat Pimp - Let's not forget:

That quote always get me pumped up to ride!

"Ribbing, Rocking & Wheeling -- BEST RIBS"
4/22/15 8:49 PM
12/27/08
My wife's old coach got sent to prison for statutory rape of an under aged student of his. At first, most the other students backed the instructor and talked a bunch of shit about the girl. Then one by one, the local cops that trained there started leaving the school and then more details came out and it turned out the girl was right. Lotta people ate crow over that shit. Phone Post 3.0
4/22/15 9:23 PM
1/1/01
shen - 

I really wonder --and I'm not joking-- if there's a link between the types of instructors who do this sort of thing (sexually abuse students) and "McDojoism" in the martial arts. It seems to me there is. Perhaps it's that the personality of an instructor who would sexually abuse students is fundamentally not very different from the personailty of an instructor who would rip-off students.

It just seems that it is disproportinately instructors really into the "make as much $$$ off students as possible" mindset who are doing this stuff.

Just a thought.

I think I understand what you're getting at here, but I'm also concerned people will read it and approach this issue the wrong way.

The "McDojo" idea, to me anyway, is all about instructors who are not reputable; jiu-jitsu academies popping up like fast food restaurants.

But sexual abuse can happen anywhere. It could be from an instructor or practicioner whose skills are 100% legit, too. We've seen it.

I agree with your post where you evince that the idea that BJJ weeds out the "arrogant and obnoxious" (I'm paraphrasing) is simply untrue. In fact, it can be a breeding ground for a kind of lack of character.

My -- probably poorly worded -- two cents

4/22/15 9:44 PM
4/26/13
The Mat Pimp - Let's not forget:

Great quote!

One of my favorites - motocross is a vehicle to excel in all areas of your life. You can't be full of shit in motocross. Phone Post 3.0
4/22/15 10:51 PM
4/26/13
In motocross you either win or you learn Phone Post 3.0
4/23/15 9:01 AM
2/25/08
About 1 year ago:

Hermes Franca gets deported (now back to fighting in Brazil)

Cristiano Oliveira head instructor of Gracie Barra school in Yakima arrested for child rape, child molestation and sexual misconduct.

Daryell Dickson Meneses Xavier is raped in prison in retaliation for raping/killing his step-son.
4/23/15 2:13 PM
4/22/09

Jiu Jitsu Instructor To Be Arrested For Sexual Misconduct With A Minor Student

4/23/15 2:15 PM
4/22/09

Sauce

http://www.bloodyelbow.com/2015/2/13/8033599/bjj-instructor-arrested-in-oklahoma-for-child-sex-offenses

http://www.jiujitsutimes.com/redline-gracie-jiu-jitsu-instructor-to-be-arrested-for-sexual-misconduct-with-a-minor-student/

"We have been waiting on an arrest to make an official statement. Now that Whitney has turned herself in we can speak about it.

We are very saddened and shocked as anyone else. No one could have predicted anything like this happening.

The Gracie Academy runs extensive background checks on every person attempting to get certified. She was no exception.

In Winter 2013 & Spring 2014 Whitney Fetters attempted to be an Instructor at Redline. She attended the ICP camps at the Gracie Academy January 2014, but she never quite made the grade.

In the summer of 2014 Whitney went MIA from Redline & no one saw her in or outside of Redline in over 8 months prior to January 2015 in which Whitney attended a few classes stating she was starting over fresh as a student.

We take situations like this very serious. Our students safety is our number 1 concern in every aspect. Unfortunately, Whitney will no longer be allowed to visit or train at Redline.

She's only assisted a few kids classes in the past (spring 2014), but hasn't been an instructor of any kind at our facility in over 8 months.

This incident did not take place at Redline & we have no connection to the boy or his family. We give our deepest condolences to him, his & her family, & everyone affected.

We are deeply saddened & shocked just like the rest of the jiu-jitsu community, but we know this shall pass.

We really appreciate those of you in the jiu-jitsu community that have reached out to us in this situation with love & understanding.

Huge Thanks to those of you that have sent kind words & support during this time.

-The Redline Team

4/23/15 2:55 PM
1/1/01
What the hell is going on? Phone Post 3.0
4/23/15 2:59 PM
1/1/01
Andre people are just being exposed. People like to live in a fairy tale that somehow today people are just worse than back in the day. When in reality monsters have always been around, just w today's tech its much easier to expose along w a lax in thinking that these pieces of shit should be protected.
4/23/15 3:10 PM
2/28/03
Is redline where tabor trains. Phone Post 3.0
Edited: 4/23/15 8:26 PM
1/1/01
hackett - 
shen - 

I really wonder --and I'm not joking-- if there's a link between the types of instructors who do this sort of thing (sexually abuse students) and "McDojoism" in the martial arts. It seems to me there is. Perhaps it's that the personality of an instructor who would sexually abuse students is fundamentally not very different from the personailty of an instructor who would rip-off students.

It just seems that it is disproportinately instructors really into the "make as much $$$ off students as possible" mindset who are doing this stuff.

Just a thought.

I think I understand what you're getting at here, but I'm also concerned people will read it and approach this issue the wrong way.

The "McDojo" idea, to me anyway, is all about instructors who are not reputable; jiu-jitsu academies popping up like fast food restaurants.

But sexual abuse can happen anywhere. It could be from an instructor or practicioner whose skills are 100% legit, too. We've seen it.

I agree with your post where you evince that the idea that BJJ weeds out the "arrogant and obnoxious" (I'm paraphrasing) is simply untrue. In fact, it can be a breeding ground for a kind of lack of character.

My -- probably poorly worded -- two cents

To me a "McDojo" is mostly a school where the owner exploits the students for financial gain; giving them either garbage instruction or  underteaching and then over-charging them for the privilege. Such as school also has lots of hidden fees, etc. The instructor may OR may not be skilled & legit himself. A lot of very "legit" BJJ instructors have clearly gone the McDojo route; they personally are good, but they are not turning out good students because they are mostly just using students as cash cows.

4/23/15 8:03 PM
6/13/06
It's unfortunate to say but BJJ has a lot of bad people in it. While it attracts many looking to better themselves and form that sort of team camaraderie as an adult, it also attracts those looking for power. The strict ranking system; the old school mentality of "I'm better than you because I have a higher belt than you"; it all benefits the evil, manipulative people. And they can hide their misbehavior in a farce of maintaining tradition. I've seen all extremes of schools and personalities within the sport, and ultimately I'm very happy to be at a school where I'm not mandated to call my coaches "professor" or "master" (in Brazil I do call some individuals in my lineage these names, but because they have different context in another language and, again, aren't mandated). I'm happy I've had great examples of how to respect others for their worth and care about more than affiliation. Those who demand your respect generally don't have the strength of character to deserve it. Phone Post 3.0
4/23/15 9:29 PM
7/1/09
Very well said Hillary Phone Post 3.0
15 days ago
1/1/01

So did old alvis end up being weighed in the balance and found wanting, or was he me too'd

Edited: 6 days ago
1/1/01
shen -
Easters - 
shen -

Some of my favorite quotes that embrace the motocross life>

"You don't stop traning motocross when you get old, you get old when you stop training motocross"

"A motocross belt only covers a few inches of your ass, the rest you need to back on your own."

"The biggest gift I ever recived as a motocross rider is without a question, the capacity to be in peace"

"There's more philosophy in motocross than in any Ivy League school in America."

etc.

there's more heroism in motocross than in all the gore of burning troy.

This sums up the tao of supercross

All honor to him who shall win the prize,"
The world has cried for a thousand years;
But to him who tries and who fails and dies,
I give great honor and glory and tears.

6 days ago
8/28/10
de braco -
shen -
Easters - 
shen -

Some of my favorite quotes that embrace the motocross life>

etc.

there's more heroism in motocross than in all the gore of burning troy.

This sums up the tao of supercross

All honor to him who shall win the prize,"
The world has cried for a thousand years;
But to him who tries and who fails and dies,
I give great honor and glory and tears.

I believe there is supposed to be a long "Braaaaaaaaaaaappppppppppp" at the end of that

5 days ago
1/1/01

a 'braaaap' as in a warthog?

5 days ago
8/28/10

5 days ago
8/28/10

I'm not gonna lie, I've done what Jim did many times over the course of my life. I even had a girlfriend who's handicap uncle would walk race me while making braap noises everytime I saw him