David Jacobs' BJJGround Any BJJ people/companies that donate to charity?

5 days ago
6/10/08

A few of you might know, but to those that dont, I started a charity drive 3 years ago to benefit the Childrens Hospital of Illinois. As one of the best kids hospitals in the world they not only care for local kids but kids from literally around the world. In those 3 years we have brought in around $7800 to supply toys, games, supplies, etc to the kids of the CHOI as a part of the hospitals "12 Days of Giving" on their "Toy Drop Off Day".

Last year (kinda last minute) I had a huge BJJ gear pack donated to me from the awesome folks at FUJI and our new raffle was born. It ended up being really fun and a great success!

So my question is for the BJJers around here.... do you know of any BJJers or any BJJ companies that you think would be interested in donating an item for 2019's drive? The more I bring in the more smiles we get out of the kids that are stuck in the hospital not only for the holidays but year round. 

Any info from you guys would be gretly appreciated. Im gonna get started early this year as a raffle was a lot more work than I anticipated!!!! LOL Lots of info on the facebook page...

Thanks guys!

Ryan Prouty

https://www.facebook.com/GrapplingForGifts/

4 days ago
3/2/04

I run my own GrappleThons every year and try to help with other ones I hear about, and generally it's been relatively straightforward to get a few companies to send something down as prizes for raffles etc. I don't know about the US, but here in the UK, companies like Rainha Fightwear, Tatami Fightwear and Meerkatsu regularly support BJJ charity events. There was a big one in Hamburg, Germany (at Nexus Fighter Academy) last month that had a ton of prizes too.

I'd recommend getting in touch with any BJJ related companies local to you (e.g., fightwear, fancy anti-staph etc soap, wrestling, MMA etc) and see if they'd be willing to send something down. Helps them advertise while supporting a good cause, so I'm sure you'll get at least a few bites. 

4 days ago
6/10/08

Thanks man! Im just gonna start cold calling and maybe come up with a few more things this year. Never hurts to ask!

4 days ago
3/2/04

Definitely, that's what I started off doing (though I emailed). Eventually built up a group of companies I knew I could rely on. Although personally, I don't push for prizes as much as I used to, I find that just asking people to set up individual fundraising pages brings in plenty for charity. Particularly as Seymour from Meerkatsu has been so awesome at helping to get the word out and doing things like art auctions to help.

I started organising GrappleThons (i.e., at least two people rolling at any one point over a 24hr period) in 2012, and every year they've consistently raised between £3,000 to £5,000 total (except for 2013, when it jumped up to over £9,000, but that was for Rape Crisis right after the whole TLI mess happened, which motivated people more than usual). 

2 days ago
6/10/08

I contacted about a dozen companies via messenger or email. Got a few replies to contact their marketing depts. Datsusara actually replied personally. So hopefully something comes of that. I’m a HUGE fan of their products! So things are starting to toll!!

2 days ago
5/15/09

Not to put them on blast for free stuff lol but Inverted Gear has donated supplies to me for multiple charity fundraising events and raffles. They donated gear straight up which I forwarded to a social project in the Cantagalo favlea in Rio, they donated gear to auction off to raise money for a new water system for the same social project, and they donated gift cards for a charity my gym worked with that raises money for homeless parents and children. Nelson and Hillary are very caring, active and involved people. I can't sing their praises loudly enough. It isn't much but I'd be willing to dig through the stock of t shirts I sell through www.sinkswimjiujitsu.com and send them to you if you have need (just send me quanity/sizes) and I'll see what I have in stock.