David Jacobs' BJJGround Anyone tried yogaforbjj?

12 days ago
1/2/11

I’m getting older and thinking I really need to add stretching to regimen of working out and Bjj. Anyone tried yoga for Bjj? Or does anyone recommend a specific yoga and or stretching routine that will help keep us on the mats. Thx for any feedback.

11 days ago
11/5/10
We brought in Sarah Draht for a Yoga for BJJ seminar just over a week ago and it was amazing. I'm 48 and I definitely feel my age and I felt fantastic after the seminar. I've maybe only have done 6-8 yoga classes in my life and this was the best I've felt afterwords.

Also Sarah's seminar was a huge hit with my members and we are bring her back for another seminar this Thursday.

Definitely worth checking out.
11 days ago
3/10/11

Yoga with Adriene on youtube is fantastic and free. No need to pay for yoga in my opinion.

11 days ago
2/9/09
SportScience -

Yoga with Adriene on youtube is fantastic and free. No need to pay for yoga in my opinion.

This. So many free Yoga options out there. Or Mobility in general 

11 days ago
1/2/11
Bend The Knee -
SportScience -

Thanks for the suggestions and feedback! Please feel free to list the yoga/mobility resources that have worked best for you. Thx for the yoga with Adrienne recommendation. I will check out.

Edited: 11 days ago
2/9/09
Lukinho -
Bend The Knee -
SportScience -

Thanks for the suggestions and feedback! Please feel free to list the yoga/mobility resources that have worked best for you. Thx for the yoga with Adrienne recommendation. I will check out.

I also like Keith Webers stuff. He has good warm ups/mobility/yoga stuff. Here is a link to his youtube. 

https://www.youtube.com/c/KeithWeber

11 days ago
2/9/09

11 days ago
9/29/02
The Ready State and its old name MobilityWOD. Lots of freebies on youtube.
Edited: 11 days ago
1/1/01

Well, I did a "BJJ for Yoga" seminar and it's really helped!

I learned so many good Heel Hook entries that now whenever someone does a Downward Dog at Yoga, it's pretty much game over for them.
11 days ago
1/2/11
shen -

I learned so many good Heel Hook entries that now whenever someone does a Downward Dog at Yoga, it's pretty much game over for them.

Shen, I believe you’re an advocate for yoga training (i May be wrong). If so, could you please share what type of yoga you practice?

11 days ago
1/1/01
Lukinho - 
shen -

Shen, I believe you’re an advocate for yoga training (i May be wrong). If so, could you please share what type of yoga you practice?

I don't practice yoga, but I do "yoga stretches" most days. Just basic, normal Hatha Yoga stretches and some range of motion stuff using a foam roller.

10 days ago
1/2/11
FirstStrikeBJJ - We brought in Sarah Draht for a Yoga for BJJ seminar just over a week ago and it was amazing. I'm 48 and I definitely feel my age and I felt fantastic after the seminar. I've maybe only have done 6-8 yoga classes in my life and this was the best I've felt afterwords.

Also Sarah's seminar was a huge hit with my members and we are bring her back for another seminar this Thursday.

Definitely worth checking out.

Thank you for the feedback!

10 days ago
1/2/11

Thx to all for the feedback and suggestions. Very helpful and I will try to incorporate into my training. Thx again!

10 days ago
10/27/03

If you get rid of the bjj you’ll be amazed at my how much the yoga will improve your quality of life.

10 days ago
1/1/01

In for links.

10 days ago
12/26/02

I have always struggled with mobility and flexibility.

I have great things to say about Kelly Starrett and Mobility WOD / The Ready State. His youtube channel is HUGE.

I'm also a big fan of Gray Cook / FMS.  I think they integrate beautifully with Pavel Tsatsouline's materials, but it's also just good healthy stuff for everyone.

I have some back / pelvic tilt issues and Stuart McGill's materials have helped me immensely with that. 

I tried some videos from Yoga for BJJ (the "Yoga for Rocks" series) and I found them very well delivered. Yoga is tough for me, but I enjoyed that material more than most. 

Lately I'm doing an online video course from Ground Force Method and I'm hoping when all the shutdowns end to go do a course with them - it's a program that looks sorta like ginastic natural or GMB or some other movement program, but it was built on an FMS framework by folks who were BJJ/Krav Maga instructors and wanted a readiness program for their students. I'm really enjoying it because it's naturally BJJ friendly but incorporates FMS thinking and lots of mobility/stability work. It's simple (I mean that as a compliment) and well structured.  (Real talk - the videos could have been better produced, but the actual material is great.) 

10 days ago
1/1/01
twinkletoesCT -

I have great things to say about Kelly Starrett and Mobility WOD / The Ready State. His youtube channel is HUGE.

I'm also a big fan of Gray Cook / FMS.  I think they integrate beautifully with Pavel Tsatsouline's materials, but it's also just good healthy stuff for everyone.

I have some back / pelvic tilt issues and Stuart McGill's materials have helped me immensely with that. 

I tried some videos from Yoga for BJJ (the "Yoga for Rocks" series) and I found them very well delivered. Yoga is tough for me, but I enjoyed that material more than most. 

Lately I'm doing an online video course from Ground Force Method and I'm hoping when all the shutdowns end to go do a course with them - it's a program that looks sorta like ginastic natural or GMB or some other movement program, but it was built on an FMS framework by folks who were BJJ/Krav Maga instructors and wanted a readiness program for their students. I'm really enjoying it because it's naturally BJJ friendly but incorporates FMS thinking and lots of mobility/stability work. It's simple (I mean that as a compliment) and well structured.  (Real talk - the videos could have been better produced, but the actual material is great.) 

Yes, I agree 100%, Gray Cook is an incredible educator. I use Dr. Starretts stuff also.  

10 days ago
1/2/11
twinkletoesCT -

Thank you for this! Very helpful and I will look into the resources you listed.

10 days ago
3/15/15
twinkletoesCT - 

McGill's stuff is helping me somewhat. I find with my back I cannot do Yoga, and last time I did very light Yoga I jacked my back up pretty bad. Mostly from bending forward.
If you have back issues, bending forward or extension may make it worse depending on condition or injury.
10 days ago
4/17/05

Been doing DDPY (Diamond Dallas Page Yoga) for about 2 months now and LOVE it. So glad I started this and have zero doubt how much it will benefit my health. There is a great deal going on right now, 20% off a year subscription to the app. Comes out to about $85 a YEAR.