David Jacobs' BJJGround BJJ or Sambo bigger?

12 days ago
1/1/01
What are has more practioners BJJ or Sambo world wide? Sambo has Russia, former Soviet republics and Eastern Europe. Bjj in Brazil and USA, plus Western Europe. Their are some huge schools in Russia and most Judo schools there also do Sambo.
12 days ago
3/15/15
Oh BJJ, for sure. But Judo tops both. There is more Judo in Russia than Sambo. And most Samboists were Judoka.
12 days ago
12/10/11

Dude I wish there was a sambo gym near me, I’d go everyday

12 days ago
5/13/05
Muscle Vision -

Dude I wish there was a sambo gym near me, I’d go everyday

Sambo is great for the grip fighting and takedown. Combat Sambo is the closest martial art to a real fight IMO. I believe they just recently took out groin strikes from competitions but headbutts are still allowed. 

Edited: 12 days ago
9/26/07

Id imagine Bjj is much bigger worldwide than sambo. Probably more than 99% of Bjj practitioners are recreational, train once or twice a week and most will never compete or even attend a competition as a spectator over the course of their training career. I would imagine that sambo attracts very few recreational participants. 

11 days ago
5/13/05
Denis Kelly -

Id imagine Bjj is much bigger worldwide than sambo. Probably more than 99% of Bjj practitioners are recreational, train once or twice a week and most will never compete or even attend a competition as a spectator over the course of their training career. I would imagine that sambo attracts very few recreational participants. 

Yes sir, I agree 100%. I train at 2 of the more well known sambo places on the East Coast and they are still trying to build the sport to be honest. The biggest can get like 10-12 people max. More often times it is down to around 8. Sambo like Judo can be a very difficult sport to start out in as an adult. I can't stress enough that you HAVE to take falls and it is a very aggressive sport in both throws and submissions.

11 days ago
1/1/01
Has anyone seen some of the large academies in Russia like Sambo-70 or the World Sambo Academy which is almost as big as the Kodokan.
Edited: 11 days ago
10/27/03
graciesrule - What are has more practioners BJJ or Sambo world wide? Sambo has Russia, former Soviet republics and Eastern Europe. Bjj in Brazil and USA, plus Western Europe. Their are some huge schools in Russia and most Judo schools there also do Sambo.

BJJ is across the world now. It’s not just North & South America now and Western Europe.

Schools are everywhere in Australia & NZ. Not that hard to find places to train in Singapore, Japan, China.

You can’t say the same for Sambo. It’s very niche. 

10 days ago
5/11/08
HotSteppa - Oh BJJ, for sure. But Judo tops both. There is more Judo in Russia than Sambo. And most Samboists were Judoka.

Yeah sometimes I don't think people realize this. Anyone talented enough in Russia is going to go the judo route because of the Olympics and international competitions. You can actually make a living being a top level competitive judoka in Russia. And like you said, most of them train both anyway.