David Jacobs' BJJGround Brown by internet?

12 days ago
6/22/19

"So my brown belts no good?"

12 days ago
1/1/01

I have seen some products of distance learning&certification.......it can be good, or it can be kinda meh. Some peoole are good at mimicking materiel.and obviously lack certain attributes. If a hihgly experienced and analytical instructor is givijg regular guidance and feedback it can be good. And certain subjects can be easier to teach/learn through such methods.....I dunno about jiujitsu

I personally dont care for such programs. But I cant eventeach and evaluate people well unless i actuallu have someone doing whatever i am evaluating do it to me, so I obviously dont have much of a leg to stand on on the subject. What I would like empasized is more concepts and attribute development in programsrather than techniques or sequences. But Im not a high-level performer or instructor so wtf do i know.

11 days ago
1/1/01
Out of all the major combat sports(boxing, wrestling, Judo, Bjj, Muay Thai) I can only think of two that follow a belt ranking structure (Judo and Bjj). And of those two, one (Bjj) based its belt ranking on other (Judo)...

Belt ranks in Judo, for the most part are based on knowledge, experience and ability. All three of those qualities are tested and examined from white to black belt and beyond.

Bjj's belt ranking procedures should follow the same procedures and principles of Judo upon which it is based.

11 days ago
3/15/15
m.g - Out of all the major combat sports(boxing, wrestling, Judo, Bjj, Muay Thai) I can only think of two that follow a belt ranking structure (Judo and Bjj). And of those two, one (Bjj) based its belt ranking on other (Judo)...

Belt ranks in Judo, for the most part are based on knowledge, experience and ability. All three of those qualities are tested and examined from white to black belt and beyond.

Bjj's belt ranking procedures should follow the same procedures and principles of Judo upon which it is based.

As someone who trained Judo 30 plus years ago, I will say that this sounds correct, but factually it is not correct. In Judo one can attain rank through competition, and I can safely say that there wass a huuuuge latitude in skill and knowledge between belt ranks. In Judo, one can attain brown belt within a year and sometimes black belt. The conception of rank and black belt was traditionally different in Japan and not really a huge deal. A black belts were a dime a dozen internationally, for the most part. The idea of simple recreation practitioners was well established in Judo (vs. serious competitors) and criteria for belt promotions varied widely in different schools. I will say it was much much harder to attain rank in BJJ and longer, too. Whether or not that has changed to any degree in Judo, I am not sure.
The conceptual underpinnings of Japanese ranking systems changed with BJJ.
11 days ago
1/1/01
m.g - Out of all the major combat sports(boxing, wrestling, Judo, Bjj, Muay Thai) I can only think of two that follow a belt ranking structure (Judo and Bjj). And of those two, one (Bjj) based its belt ranking on other (Judo)...

well...how many judoka full gokyo? How many times have i done an ude gaeshiand had black belts ask me what was that throw. How many judoka are barely know any newaza. Heck did you k ow judo has leg attacks? Most focus is on ijf judo. So what is the standard?

What is the equivalent of the gokyo for bjj? Wi5h all the ridiculous guards and silly lapel and gi crap, is that a criteria for grading?....is the archaic SD curriculum?....is VT? Is bjj a sport or martial art/fighting style?...wouldnt that detrrmine its criteria?

10 days ago
1/1/01
HotSteppa and Sgt Slaphead,

First off, since both of you claim Judo knowledge and experience, both of you should know that a Judo black belt does not signify either a fighter or a teacher. a Judo black belt simply signifies having completed the Judo curriculum. Yes, Judo black belts are a dime a dozen, especially in Japan... BUT a Judo black belt also doesn't carry the same weight in Japan as it does else where, at least not in terms of rank/status.

You both should know DANS or RANKS after the black belt mean much more in Judo (I realize this is also true in Bjj). A 4th Dan in Judo, which is consider the rank of a TEACHER is expected to know things a regular black belt doesn't know. Furthermore, in Japan, anyone who desires to teach Judo MUST have additional training, particularly teacher training...

My current Bjj coach, Nobu Yagai, Japanese (born and raised in Japan), desired to supplement his Bjj knowledge, skill and ability, with Judo. He went back to his homeland and trained at the Kodokan.

He received his black belt there and, because his desire to expand his teaching skills with Judo, also received a teaching certification from the Kodokan. Yes... the Kodokan have classes and certification for those who desire to teach Judo. In fact, these teaching courses/classes and teaching certifications have been available at the Kodokan since its inception (over 150 years).

Anyway... the way Helio originally structured Bjj is equivalent to the gokyo of Bjj.
Edited: 10 days ago
1/1/01

so if bjj should follow judo and you make the point of japan expectations of shodan......so a bjj black belt should not be expected an "expert"

I kinda would accept that. But what should the standard criteria be? Like hotsteppa stated, you can make shodan with pointd. So basically ijf focused....should we make that the standard for bjj with ibjjf basically defining bjj? Seems kinda already happening. So Helio "structured" bjj criteria is basically irrelevnt. Ive stated before...to me bjj must include SD&VT, clinch, etc.

9 days ago
1/1/01
Sgt. Slaphead - 

so if bjj should follow judo and you make the point of japan expectations of shodan......so a bjj black belt should not be expected an "expert"

I kinda would accept that. But what should the standard criteria be? Like hotsteppa stated, you can make shodan with pointd. So basically ijf focused....should we make that the standard for bjj with ibjjf basically defining bjj? Seems kinda already happening. So Helio "structured" bjj criteria is basically irrelevnt. Ive stated before...to me bjj must include SD&VT, clinch, etc.

My understanding is a Bjj black belt really doesn't have much power, in terms of teaching or even running a school. That is, a Bjj black belt CANNOT promote people to black belt... in fact, I think they even need permission to promote someone to brown belt. Actually, I think they need the permission of a ranking black belt (a 2nd black belt, which is supposedly the rank a black belt must be to promote people... at least according to the IBJJF) to promote anyone to any level.

I definitely know that any one under Helio's system had to be certified by him in order to teach Bjj, or his version of Bjj... a black belt couldn't teach...