David Jacobs' BJJGround Challenges with teaching Kids?

8 days ago
5/30/03

One difficulty I've always experienced is that kids often try to make their partners look incompetent by actively resisting during practice or just collapsing and falling over. It makes drilling techniques very difficult,  particularly if the kids may not like each other. 

1  does this happen in other sports with kids? 

2  how do you combat this? 

7 days ago
6/4/02

Beat that kid’s ass.  I fucking hate teaching these little retards.

7 or older.  I don’t give a fuck if billy is suuuuuuper gifted.   News flash... he’s not.

7 days ago
1/14/08
Mike Wazowski - 

Beat that kid’s ass.  I fucking hate teaching these little retards.

7 or older.  I don’t give a fuck if billy is suuuuuuper gifted.   News flash... he’s not.

I LoL'd.

I'm following this thread. I have challenges with kids classes, and no real answers.

Chango
7 days ago
1/1/01

Well, as a parent --first & foremost-- I'm developing my kid's "Fighter Lifestyle". Coaches need to understand and respect that.

If they are teaching him bad habbits that will eventually hurt him in the octagon, I will yell from the parking lot, "That will get you killed in the Octagon Ryland!" --just to keep the training honest.

Due to a lot of jealousy, they make me wait outside the building until class is over. But, if I yell loud enough, my Ry-Ry can still hear me through the plate glass, so it's all good.

7 days ago
1/29/08

Pushups

7 days ago
5/18/06

Remind yourself that it doesn't really matter.  If there are two fuckups, pair them so they won't pull down other kids, but at the end of the day this is recreation. 

7 days ago
3/27/03

That stuff is pretty tame... I’ve seen kids really go for breaks and punch each other 

id say don’t hesitate to remove a bad apple as they will get others to quit and get some teenagers to bridge the gap and be your NCO’s

6 days ago
6/29/12

Tell them not to do that

6 days ago
1/1/01
Mostly what Mat Pimp says, but also remind them that if they are a bad training partner, then they can't expect anything different when it's their turn. And if that means they get hurt, well that's on them. And as kids are often motivated by stripes and belts, it can be worth mentioning that being a bad partner is a surefire way to not get promoted.

James
6 days ago
2/1/08

Teach them how to be a good dummy.  Sometimes it's not obvious at that age.  For that matter, some adults do the same shit.  With kids you may need to take the time to actually teach it.  

6 days ago
7/10/09

They are bored.  For the 4-6 year olds the second they get bored they do that or worse.  I have found success by mixing a game period between every jiujitsu period in class.  

Warmup, I show technique, we play a game, we drill, we play a game, we roll.

6 days ago
1/1/01

SBG in florida?...seemed to have a good video series "Play as way".....heck it look3d fun for adults!