David Jacobs' BJJGround Coming back to train at another gym

Edited: 15 days ago
2/8/08

Hey guys, I use to train at a gym close by for a little over 2 years. It was pretty expensive and when I left I just didn't have a lot of time anymore to train.

I want to start again, and the muay Thai gym I'm at now is going to have BJJ classes. I'm friends with some people at my old gym but I can't afford to go to my old gym. Is it frowned upon to go back after several years to train somewhere else? Thanks for any replies

15 days ago
9/13/16
i think people think about these type of things way too much.

just do what works for you. i really doubt that anybody would care.
15 days ago
5/8/11

i hear a lot of talk about loyalty and respect for your gym...but....which is your gym?  Has your old gym offered to keep you on at a lower cost?  is it better for bjj for people to not train if they can't find an affiliate gym?  I moved across the country and there is no affiliate gym near me...am i supposed to not train anymore?  i think leaving because you think you aren't getting promoted is pretty lame but, for financial reasons, if "your gym" isn't making you a deal are they loyal to you? 

15 days ago
3/2/04
Kenbow -

Hey guys, I use to train at a gym close by for a little over 2 years. It was pretty expensive and when I left I just didn't have a lot of time anymore to train.

I want to start again, and the muay Thai gym I'm at now is going to have BJJ classes. I'm friends with some people at my old gym but I can't afford to go to my old gym. Is it frowned upon to go back after several years to train somewhere else? Thanks for any replies

Generally speaking, the best gym for you is going to be the one you can commit to attending regularly. There are exceptions, like say your only close option is a TLI type gym (so you'd want to travel further to avoid them), but most of the time, the important thing is making it as easy as possible to get into the habit of training consistently. So, cheaper/closer are of primary importance.