David Jacobs' BJJGround Criteria for 2nd Degree Black Belt in Bjj

10 days ago
1/1/01

So a Bjj Black Belt friend of mine posted on his Facebook page what he had to do to achieve a 2nd Black belt in Bjj according to the IBJJF.

1) He had to wait 7 years after receiving his black belt

2) He had to attend and complete an IBJJF Rules Seminar

3) He had to submit to a background check

4) He had to go through and receive CPR training and certiification

5) He had to go through and receive SportSafe training/certification

6) He had to compete in IBJJF sanctioned 2018 tournaments...

(Note: his 2018 tournament record is as follows:

1) 1st place Gold Medal Denver International Open IBJJF

2)  2nd place Silver Medal World No-Gi IBJJF

3) 3rd place Bronze World Master IBJJF

I find it interesting that he had to accomplish more to get his 2nd degree than his teacher did(incidentally his instructor/coach was my first Bjj instructor coach)...

My question is this: is there any 2nd degree Black Belts and beyond who had to do what my friend had to do to receive their 2nd degree?

10 days ago
1/1/01

No, I just showed up and trained.

I haven't competed in BJJ since 2004 or donated money to the IBJJF either. 

10 days ago
1/1/01
SlapUsilly - 

No, I just showed up and trained.

I haven't competed in BJJ since 2004 or donated money to the IBJJF either. 

Hmmm... interesting!

10 days ago
1/1/01

When did the IBJJF become the sanctioning body for all of BJJ?

9 days ago
1/1/01
liuk3 - 

Good question!

It seems they do have a lot of power and influence. Two of the major Bjj tournaments, the Pan Ams and the Mundials (Worlds) are IBJJF events. I know the IBJJF run other major Bjj tournaments like the Eurpean championship etc. So it does seem like they are the major voice in Bjj in terms of power, ranking etc.
9 days ago
7/18/05

I always thought degress were time based?  6years as a black belt. But if you wanted to get a 2nd degree through IBJJF, they probably want you to do the CPR and rules seminar.

Did your friend did not get his degrees from the guy who promoted him?

9 days ago
1/1/01
Wutang - 

I always thought degress were time based?  6years as a black belt. But if you wanted to get a 2nd degree through IBJJF, they probably want you to do the CPR and rules seminar.

They are, but if you want your stripes recognised by the IBFF so that you can eventually have black belt students who are also recognised by the federation, you have to jump through their hoops.

James
9 days ago
3/2/04
m.g -
liuk3 - 

Good question!

It seems they do have a lot of power and influence. Two of the major Bjj tournaments, the Pan Ams and the Mundials (Worlds) are IBJJF events. I know the IBJJF run other major Bjj tournaments like the Eurpean championship etc. So it does seem like they are the major voice in Bjj in terms of power, ranking etc.

Far too much influence. I view them as just one of many companies offering tournaments, but a particularly disingenous one, given they pretend very hard to be a governing body. I hope to have nothing to do with them, which at least being based in the UK has been easy enough so far.

For any of my students that want to enter IBJJF tournaments (e.g., one of them was visiting Paris or somewhere), I just tell them to sign up under BJJ Globetrotters. 

9 days ago
1/1/01

He is off then.  He would have had to wait 6 yrs (unless again he took a year off from being a member in which case they will hold that against you).  And there is no mandatory rule to compete in any sanctioned IBJJF tournament (and there never will be as it will cut into their funds).

8 days ago
8/27/08

I only recognize stripes on people who pay me- Carlos Gracie Jr

8 days ago
5/30/03
m.g -

So a Bjj Black Belt friend of mine posted on his Facebook page what he had to do to achieve a 2nd Black belt in Bjj according to the IBJJF.

I find it interesting that he had to accomplish more to get his 2nd degree than his teacher did(incidentally his instructor/coach was my first Bjj instructor coach)...

My question is this: is there any 2nd degree Black Belts and beyond who had to do what my friend had to do to receive their 2nd degree?

Your friend is lying. You don't have to compete in ibjjf sanctioned events. He may have but that is not a requirement. And he must have not registered as a black belt when he first earned it. Ibjjf only recognize you for every year that you register with them. 

And what is this sport safe training certification? 

8 days ago
1/1/01
The Maestro - 
m.g -

Your friend is lying. You don't have to compete in ibjjf sanctioned events. He may have but that is not a requirement. And he must have not registered as a black belt when he first earned it. Ibjjf only recognize you for every year that you register with them. 

I wouldn't go as far to say that my friend is a liar. He did post the certificate he received from the IBJJF. Yes, he did register as a black belt when he first earned it. Part of the criteria was he had to wait 7 years after he received his black belt to even be considered by the IBJJF for 2nd degree. Incidentally, he received black belt after 8 hard years of training (he actually started Bjj one year before I did. He started in 2004; I started in August of 2005).

I don't know what the hell Sport Safe Training Certification is... it must be an IBJJF thing.

As far as competition goes... my friend has pretty much been an active competitor since the day he started training. No only did he compete is local tournaments but also regional and national. He's competed and done very well in NAGAs, Fight to Win, Pan-Am, Worlds. I cannot speak to whether or not IBJJF requires one to compete in IBJJF sanction tournaments... I do know my friend has competed in a lot of them...
8 days ago
1/1/01
Sir Taps - 
Wutang - 

They are, but if you want your stripes recognised by the IBFF so that you can eventually have black belt students who are also recognised by the federation, you have to jump through their hoops.

James

My friend did get his degrees from his instructor BUT as James/Sir Taps, stated in order for his rank to be recognized and in order for anyone whom he promotes rank to be recognized by the IBJJF he had to "jump" through their hoops!
7 days ago
1/1/01
m.g -
The Maestro - 
m.g -

I wouldn't go as far to say that my friend is a liar. He did post the certificate he received from the IBJJF. Yes, he did register as a black belt when he first earned it. Part of the criteria was he had to wait 7 years after he received his black belt to even be considered by the IBJJF for 2nd degree. Incidentally, he received black belt after 8 hard years of training (he actually started Bjj one year before I did. He started in 2004; I started in August of 2005).

I don't know what the hell Sport Safe Training Certification is... it must be an IBJJF thing.

As far as competition goes... my friend has pretty much been an active competitor since the day he started training. No only did he compete is local tournaments but also regional and national. He's competed and done very well in NAGAs, Fight to Win, Pan-Am, Worlds. I cannot speak to whether or not IBJJF requires one to compete in IBJJF sanction tournaments... I do know my friend has competed in a lot of them...

Had to do Sport Safe for my judo bb through the USJA.  

7 days ago
4/20/02
The Maestro -
m.g -

It teaches you how not to molest students under 18.

7 days ago
1/14/08
Safe Sport is actually really good training. It's very affordable, $20 per coach. It's education on team cultures, sexual harassment, bullying, improper behaviors,etc...

Chango
Edited: 7 days ago
3/27/14
The Maestro -
m.g -

No. We got similar input from the IBJJF regarding comps. One of our head instructors has to this day been denied to register his stripes. Didn't matter that he got his black belt from a multiple mundial champ whom is registered with them as a 5 th degree black belt. The reason he was given was that the IBJJF don't have a record of him competing in their events as a black belt. Didn't matter how much his instructor pleaded and provided proof of his legitimacy. But he's competed in so many events from white to black. Including the ADCC finals event in LA. But never as a black belt in a IBJJF tourney. 

The IBJJF has acknowledged and registered his black belt but not the date it was given to him (2008) and therefore not the degrees. 

7 days ago
1/1/01
ChangoBravo - Safe Sport is actually really good training. It's very affordable, $20 per coach. It's education on team cultures, sexual harassment, bullying, improper behaviors,etc...

Chango

Thanks for the info!
6 days ago
1/1/01
Must -
The Maestro -
m.g -

No. We got similar input from the IBJJF regarding comps. One of our head instructors has to this day been denied to register his stripes. Didn't matter that he got his black belt from a multiple mundial champ whom is registered with them as a 5 th degree black belt. The reason he was given was that the IBJJF don't have a record of him competing in their events as a black belt. Didn't matter how much his instructor pleaded and provided proof of his legitimacy. But he's competed in so many events from white to black. Including the ADCC finals event in LA. But never as a black belt in a IBJJF tourney. 

The IBJJF has acknowledged and registered his black belt but not the date it was given to him (2008) and therefore not the degrees. 

How long ago was that?  As I haven't competed as a black belt in comps and my certificate is on the way.  So either they changed the criteria or there may be some sort of issue w the guy's teacher (and maybe someone is just being a dick to him as a result).  As otherwise I can tell you right now I know a lot of black belts who haven't competed who have gotten the recognition and not had to deal with that.

6 days ago
8/15/07
IBJJF is bad for BJJ.
6 days ago
3/27/14
Hunter V -
Must -
The Maestro -
m.g -

How long ago was that?  As I haven't competed as a black belt in comps and my certificate is on the way.  So either they changed the criteria or there may be some sort of issue w the guy's teacher (and maybe someone is just being a dick to him as a result).  As otherwise I can tell you right now I know a lot of black belts who haven't competed who have gotten the recognition and not had to deal with that.

It was 4 years ago. No issue with his/our head instructor and the IBJJF. We have other black belts that have all their degrees registered. But all of them competed in IBJJF tourneys before they requested the IBJJF to acknowledge their degrees.

5 days ago
12/26/02

I'll have to take an exam when I get there (someday), but it's not as long and varied a list as all that.