David Jacobs' BJJGround Did You Free Roll/Spar Your First Day?

Edited: 22 days ago
11/8/09

My first day we learned Omoplata from closed guard. My partner was a guy named Paul who lost a bunch of weight because he quit eating potato salad at night before bed.  That's what he told me anyways.

Then the class rolled. No one told me not to so I rolled too. I got wrecked. Paul told me afterwards that he'd never hit a triangle in rolling before and that he'd just gotten three on me. 

I knew as soon as that class was done that I'd be back to learn more. 

22 days ago
5/11/08

I did. I got absolutely crushed and and tapped from knee on belly by a bigger blue belt and pro fighter from my gym. A white belt put me in lockdown and made me tap too. I was hooked right away.

1/1/01

Absolutely.  Rolled with the instructor who tapped me out with a spinning arm bar from knee on belly.  He's still my instructor 20 years later.  That was my first proper class, prior to that had garage grappled plenty.

8/28/10

Yes sure did. If I hadnt have rolled, I wouldn't be here right now. I got my spirit crusheda, my soul stolen from me, and I expect it to happen everytime I train.

If I'm not limping out of the gym, beaten into the ground, mentally I don't feel like I got a good workout

22 days ago
6/24/05
I don't remember, but most likely yes
22 days ago
7/30/03

My first day was a very hard sparring session. I entered with some previous striking experience. I left with a passion for bjj.

22 days ago
7/25/13

Yes.

22 days ago
12/26/02

Sort of.

I visited Gracie Torrance in August 1997 and did the intro class - no rolling, lots of propoganda.

I was only there for a day, so I dropped into the white belt class after that - also no rolling. Mostly SD stuff. 

I also dropped into the white belt class after that - more SD, and then we rolled one quick round with our assigned blue belt partner.  

22 days ago
9/10/13

No. Maybe a week or two before rolling. Definitely a shark tank situation after that. 

22 days ago
11/11/11

Yes. Was hooked immediately. Definitely dont recommend that for everyone though.

21 days ago
2/28/03

Yup. Loved it. 

I have all my trials roll with me or another black belt 

21 days ago
1/1/01
twinkletoesCT -

Sort of.

I visited Gracie Torrance in August 1997 and did the intro class - no rolling, lots of propoganda.

I was only there for a day, so I dropped into the white belt class after that - also no rolling. Mostly SD stuff. 

I also dropped into the white belt class after that - more SD, and then we rolled one quick round with our assigned blue belt partner.  

I vaguely remember briefly training there around that time or a couple of years later. I think that they offered some white belt classes taught by blue belts in their instructor program. During the day there was pretty much nobody else in these classes, so I basically got private lessons from a blue belt instructor (instructor candidate). I got ragdolled by a blue belt instructor which I outweighed by about 70 lbs. I thought jiu jitsu was magic and needed to learn it. I also remember feeling completely clausterphobic like I couldn't breathe when on the bottom of side mount or mount and just tapping to pressure every time. One of the blue belts had me continuously stay on bottom until I realized that I could actually breathe and that it was all just mental.

21 days ago
6/28/11

Yes. Got beat up by a respectful blue belt. And decided that one day I was gonna be that blue belt

20 days ago
3/6/07
Sometimes my wife lets me porrada -

Yes sure did. If I hadnt have rolled, I wouldn't be here right now. I got my spirit crusheda, my soul stolen from me, and I expect it to happen everytime I train.

If I'm not limping out of the gym, beaten into the ground, mentally I don't feel like I got a good workout

Spoken like a true 10’er. 

20 days ago
1/1/01

Yep. 21 years ago.

Got tapped by the smallest person in the room who was a white belt female.

20 days ago
2/20/05

I did. And the first roll ever was with the black belt instructor. He went through an encyclopedia of techniques on me as i tried spazzing past his guard. I knew after that one roll that i wanted to be able to do that someday.  Still haven't stopped. 

20 days ago
8/17/08

yep.  got the brakes beat off me by a 130 lb purple belt.  now as a black belt I love watching brand new guys roll with a blue or a purple and just get worked lol.  if the new person in question is big or I think they have trained before then I will roll with them first.

"its the circle of life..."

20 days ago
11/10/05

Not only did I roll my first class and get my face gi burned to death, I actually rolled just before my first class, which was the reason why I started doing bjj!

... I lost a friendly wager and was forced to go.

20 days ago
11/13/09

Yes.  Puked after 5-10 mins rolling and each day I went back for the first week.  Here 10 years later helping others puke.

16 days ago
3/2/04

Yep, I rolled on my first day. I think it's important to start rolling as soon as possible, ideally with somebody more experienced. I pair everybody up during my evening classes (we also have loads of open mat, where you can pick whoever you want), to make sure two brand new white belts are not free sparring (specific sparring is less of a concern,).

I also always give people the option to sit out, particularly as there will often be nervous new people who sometimes want to watch a few rounds first. IMO it is worth emphasising that you can always say "no thanks" to a roll, nobody should be forced (though obviously if you never roll, then you're not training BJJ).

When people feel they HAVE to roll no matter the person asking, you get situations like a tiny person rolling with a giant, which (unless there is a considerable skill difference) frequently leads to injury in my experience. 

16 days ago
1/1/01

Went in with a friend, had no idea what BJJ involved.

After rolling, I was hooked, even though I got beat up. Felt like a kid wrestling.

My friend said he'd had some dudes balls sitting on his face and never came back.

I guess I like balls on the face?