David Jacobs' BJJGround Do they use stripes in Brazil?

18 days ago
1/1/01

I was just posting on another thread about people who ask to be given stripes and the thought occurred to me that I never saw this when i was in Brazil.  I never even saw belts with stripes.  I just looked at my old photos & sure enough, nobody has stripes on their belt.  Some black belts don’t even have a bar at all.

Has anyone trained in Brazil and seen people getting stripes put on their belt?  The only ones with stripes in my old pics are the gringos who came down to train and already had them.  All the others are just wearing belts without stripes

18 days ago
2/20/13

No stripes or black bar when I trained at Renzo’s NYC in early 2000s 

18 days ago
9/12/06

These days everyone does bars / stripes but 15+ years ago it was totally normal to not have a rank bar on your belt. If a particular professor gave out stripes guys would just wrap some finger tape strips round the end of the belt itself.

I was actually surprised by how standardised rank bars were in the rest of the world when I first trained outside Brazil.

18 days ago
1/1/01

I am looking at my old photos and nobody has stripes on their belt.  Looking at more recent podium pics from Brazil I see some people have stripes but most do not, especially black belts.  

Edited: 18 days ago
3/27/20

The association I’m in doesn’t really do stripes. Can’t remember the last time I saw someone awarded any stripes by the head instructor or by any of his black belts. He’s a Brazilian who trained with Galvao, Terere, Telles etc.

from speaking to him previously, he doesn’t seem to be a fan of them. 

18 days ago
12/18/03

I think most schools do nowadays here.

18 days ago
1/1/01
So as far as Brazil goes what's the consensus?
18 days ago
1/1/01

A concensus?  In Brazil?  Have you been there?  Lol.  They can’t agree on anything!  Maybe that is true of the whole human race.

That being said, based on recent podium pics, most clubs in Brazil are not handing out stripes.

16 days ago
9/12/06
wombat -

A concensus?  In Brazil?  Have you been there?  Lol.  They can’t agree on anything!  Maybe that is true of the whole human race.

That being said, based on recent podium pics, most clubs in Brazil are not handing out stripes.

"That being said, based on recent podium pics, most clubs in Brazil are not handing out stripes."

They most definitely are, at least for coloured belts. A lot of blackbelts I know don't bother keeping their stripes up to date / sticking them back on when they fall off etc. There's also a growing trend of using a white rank bar and no stripes.

Also it's fairly common for competitors to have specific competition gis/belts (especially if they're sponsored) which they know will pass inspection and they might not bother "striping up" both belts.