David Jacobs' BJJGround Do you keep track of your record in tournaments?

5/14/19 11:05 PM
7/16/13

I do this, but I'm not sure if it's uncommon. My record from white and blue is 22-12 and I keep track of my win/loss methods to look for trends. 

I was pretty aware of my strengths, but I find more value in seeing trends in the way I lose (guillotine is the most frequent - 3 total). I also just think it's nice to have a record of how things have gone on my bjj journey. 

Anyone else do this or nah

5/15/19 8:59 AM
7/10/09

Lol, no... but I admit I did for awhile.  After a couple comps it became hard to keep track of and it dawned on me how lame it was.

Also, I realized I was near .500 and the random podium spots were more ego boost than telling myself "hey, im 38-27 in bjj".

Edited: 5/15/19 6:03 PM
1/1/01

Yeah, but it's pretty easy to remember 400-0.

5/15/19 2:43 PM
8/15/07
I'm a winner, that's all I know.
5/15/19 3:32 PM
5/15/09

From white to like half way into purple belt I kept a record of every single match and the outcome, most with names. Eventually it just became too much to keep up with because i competed so much. Now I only really remember the faces I recognize or the people who went on to do something significant, like Keenan or people that fought in the UFC, etc. Now that list is on an old broken laptop and lost to time.

5/15/19 5:49 PM
7/16/13
kennyfrommd -

From white to like half way into purple belt I kept a record of every single match and the outcome, most with names. Eventually it just became too much to keep up with because i competed so much. Now I only really remember the faces I recognize or the people who went on to do something significant, like Keenan or people that fought in the UFC, etc. Now that list is on an old broken laptop and lost to time.

That's pretty sweet. How was competing against Keenan?

5/15/19 6:00 PM
5/15/09
T?bikan J?dan -
kennyfrommd -

Terrible but a cool experience. I was one or two weights down from him and we got combined into a round robin division. It was at purple belt and I had a half guard and no top game whatsoever. The first match, I swept him from half guard, got excited to score and he triangle-armbarred me pretty quick after that. The next match I fought his teammate and beat him, so for some reason, instead of just giving me second place, they had me and Keenan fight again in the "finals." I tried to slow him down and put him in 50/50 so I could stay on bottom and fight more strategically, and he armbarred me from 50/50. This was right before he did it to Miyao, and no one even knew you could do that from there. He hurt me pretty bad, and I eventually got bone chips taken out of my arm surgically a few years later. But I guess he saw me holding my arm on the video and messaged me on Facebook to apologize for injuring me, which was super unneccessary but very kind of him. We got along well any time we bumped into each other after that (both lived in Maryland at the time).

This was BEFORE he was winning at purple belt too. I think that year he went out to Chris Visentin in the UAE tournament and first round in Worlds. 

5/15/19 6:15 PM
7/16/13
kennyfrommd -
T?bikan J?dan -
kennyfrommd -

Terrible but a cool experience. I was one or two weights down from him and we got combined into a round robin division. It was at purple belt and I had a half guard and no top game whatsoever. The first match, I swept him from half guard, got excited to score and he triangle-armbarred me pretty quick after that. The next match I fought his teammate and beat him, so for some reason, instead of just giving me second place, they had me and Keenan fight again in the "finals." I tried to slow him down and put him in 50/50 so I could stay on bottom and fight more strategically, and he armbarred me from 50/50. This was right before he did it to Miyao, and no one even knew you could do that from there. He hurt me pretty bad, and I eventually got bone chips taken out of my arm surgically a few years later. But I guess he saw me holding my arm on the video and messaged me on Facebook to apologize for injuring me, which was super unneccessary but very kind of him. We got along well any time we bumped into each other after that (both lived in Maryland at the time).

This was BEFORE he was winning at purple belt too. I think that year he went out to Chris Visentin in the UAE tournament and first round in Worlds. 

That's a cool experience despite the loss. Sucks you got hurt, but I'm glad he's a classy guy and reached out to you. 

I recently got to go against one of Tonon's guys at blue belt and it was cool. Unfortunately Tonon wasn't there, but I got an invite from his guys to come train 

5/16/19 2:12 AM
1/1/01
shen - 

Yeah, but it's pretty easy to remember 400-0.

Mine's similar, but with the numbers reversed.

James
5/16/19 3:18 PM
1/1/01
I keep track of my gym war statistics. I'm way better than 400-0. I've never lost a roll I've tried to win. If you see me getting the wrong end of a stick in a roll I'm letting them work and doesn't count. If I coach you through a submission it doesn't count. If I rolled hard the round before and I'm winded it doesn't count
5/23/19 7:25 AM
1/1/01
Hey Beer Man - I keep track of my gym war statistics. I'm way better than 400-0. I've never lost a roll I've tried to win. If you see me getting the wrong end of a stick in a roll I'm letting them work and doesn't count. If I coach you through a submission it doesn't count. If I rolled hard the round before and I'm winded it doesn't count

My submission game during drilling is almost unstoppable.