David Jacobs' BJJGround Game Changer for Diabetic BJJ practitioners

4/14/19 8:46 PM
8/28/10

In threads in the past I have had conversations with members about CGMs and how the pump, etc was not an option for me as I cant keep a sensor or port in to save my life. They always pulled out, no matter how well I wrapped and taped them to my body, so I gave up and did it the old fashioned way. Finger sticks and shots. 

Last week I got the Eversense CGM implant and it is the real deal. They implant a sensor, in the form of a capsule/chip under the skin and then place the transmittor on the skin which sends the readings to an app on my phone. Best part is that I can slap a new adhesive on after training everyday and it wont break the bank the way a traditional CGM would as insurance only covers one sensor per week. They give 100 adhesive patches per 3 month period and buying more patches isnt very costly at all.

This is seriously one of the best things to happen for active diabetics, especially those of us who grapple. I know Im leaving some detailed shit out but go research it and see if your insurance will cover it.

The insurance plan I have through my wife covers the sensor, however I am in a different state at the time so my the had to contract with a local BCBS plan that unfortunately, doesnt cover the system. Luckily the Eversense has a bridge program that cuts the costs down TREMENDOUSLY to only about $99 for a three month insertion, and you get three insertions for a total of $300 for 9 months of CGM. During that time they can try to help you get it covered and theyll work your insurance I believe.

A plus is that one of the reps has trained BJJ, so they understand what its like to deal with this shit. Customer service has been great with them and they are calling to check up on me daily to answer any questions or to see if Im having any issues. 

Im not getting paid, nor do I work for or affiliate with the company, but as I said this is a big deal for me and my care.

Ive been type 1 since I was about 6 years old, I normally test between 6-12x per day, and today I only poked my fingers 2x for the daily calibration.

In my next post Ill post some links 

4/14/19 8:47 PM
8/28/10

https://www.eversensediabetes.com/patient-education/

4/14/19 8:48 PM
8/28/10

Accessories

grifgrips.com 

diastuff.de

4/14/19 8:50 PM
8/28/10

I guess I didn't explain well, when I train, I take the transmitter off, when I'm done training, I put it right back on. Easy as that for a cgm. I don't have to worry about covering anything when training or fear people grabbing it when they grab my gi etc

4/14/19 8:54 PM
8/28/10

I can't get a good angle of it due to my fucked up shoulders but it's small and easily concealed
4/14/19 9:34 PM
1/1/01

AWESOME....GOOD FOR YOU!

Edited: 4/15/19 5:01 PM
1/1/01

That's really great, man!

... Not 100% sure why they have to put that whole octopus on you, but whatever works.

4/15/19 3:57 AM
8/28/10

Thanks guys I wanted to post this here as I know most of the traffic here is upper belts and coaches and gym owners who may be able to pass this along to current or future students.

4/15/19 12:14 PM
1/1/01
really good news. Now I can't wait for someone to buyout Eversense and charge $100,000 for the device and $10,000 per month for the sensors.
4/15/19 1:21 PM
8/28/10
Hey Beer Man - really good news. Now I can't wait for someone to buyout Eversense and charge $100,000 for the device and $10,000 per month for the sensors.

Lmao well nows the time to go buy shares in the company if you're into that kind of thing.

If that happens I'll take one for the team and strangle whoever makes that decision even if it means jail lol

4/16/19 2:58 PM
7/6/06

Thanks for the info, my 8 year old just got diagnosed and i am looking for anything at all that will make this easier for  him. He is probably a bit young for this one, but I might look into it as something I can operate for him in the future.

He does TKD and BJJ and my big worry is managing his levels once he gets back training again. He can't wait, I am nervous as shit!!

4/16/19 4:49 PM
8/28/10
Maski -

Thanks for the info, my 8 year old just got diagnosed and i am looking for anything at all that will make this easier for  him. He is probably a bit young for this one, but I might look into it as something I can operate for him in the future.

He does TKD and BJJ and my big worry is managing his levels once he gets back training again. He can't wait, I am nervous as shit!!

Dude look into this one for him it's a simple implant every 3 months and YOU will have access to his numbers, even from home or work or 300 miles away so you can monitor him as needed. 

I guess if he doesn't have a phone that may either make him happy as he'd be getting one lol or maybe he can get a small tablet just to access the app.

The more people this can help control their sugar and stay active the better! 

4/16/19 10:43 PM
4/2/13
things to see people to do -

I can't get a good angle of it due to my fucked up shoulders but it's small and easily concealed

Man I keep forgetting how much weight you lost training over the years.  If guys here could see a before and current pic, it would blow their minds.  It's people like you that kept me training all these years when it would have been convenient to skip or take a long break.  I got it easy compared to many who face obstacles or challenges daily.  Keep training and improving.

Edited: 4/17/19 6:27 PM
8/28/10
Robobear -
things to see people to do -

Man I keep forgetting how much weight you lost training over the years.  If guys here could see a before and current pic, it would blow their minds.  It's people like you that kept me training all these years when it would have been convenient to skip or take a long break.  I got it easy compared to many who face obstacles or challenges daily.  Keep training and improving.

Thanks bro yeah I am not nearly as big as I was 12 years ago or so but I'm also not as strong lol

It's guys like you that keep me pushing and striving to better myself and be in it for the long haul so I guess it runs full circle

I mean if you guys can get out there everyday and train hard why the fuck can't I and I'm a lot younger. 

4/28/19 10:00 PM
10/10/10

Oh damn! T1D here using a Dexcom g5 CGM. Purple belt, father of 2 but still manage to train 3 days a week. Worst nightmare is my CGM falling off $$$$$HHHHIIIIIIIIIIIITTT 

I use Skintac, put a Simpatch over it, and then I have a strap made by a company called Pod2 that has helped greatly in keeping everything put. Still lose one every once in a while. 

But this shit right here....looks fuckin dope man thank you for the info. Never seen another T1D that trains so this is great. I know exactly what you're going through, my guy.

5/12/19 12:47 PM
8/28/10
JohnnyBrabo -

Oh damn! T1D here using a Dexcom g5 CGM. Purple belt, father of 2 but still manage to train 3 days a week. Worst nightmare is my CGM falling off $$$$$HHHHIIIIIIIIIIIITTT 

I use Skintac, put a Simpatch over it, and then I have a strap made by a company called Pod2 that has helped greatly in keeping everything put. Still lose one every once in a while. 

But this shit right here....looks fuckin dope man thank you for the info. Never seen another T1D that trains so this is great. I know exactly what you're going through, my guy.

Yo! Check it out man I've never had such ease before in my training and keeping my sugars in check. It's been a month since I've had it installed and it gets easier and more accurate as time goes on.

Money was the whole reason I never used a cgm as i know I can't keep one on to save my life. 

Lmk if you end up checking it out