David Jacobs' BJJGround Gordon Ryan vs Josh Barnett?

Edited: 9/13/20 11:44 AM
3/19/04

Would Gordon Ryan beat Barnett like he does everyone else or could Barnett's combination of size, wrestling, and technique be too much for Ryan?

9/13/20 1:06 PM
1/1/01
You mean like he already did when he submitted Barnett?
9/13/20 1:06 PM
2/21/11
It would be amazing if we had some way of finding out.

Like imagine if they actually grappled against eachother so we could know definitively.

If I had to take a wild guess I would predict that Gordon would hook sweep Josh, mount him, and when Barnett goes to push him off from mount Gordon then capitalizes and lands a triangle on Barnett.

But this is purely speculation on my part.
Edited: 9/13/20 1:08 PM
3/18/05

He put on a demonstration of his DVDs. It was a clinic. Gordon swept, passed, mounted, and triangles. 

9/13/20 2:13 PM
3/19/04

Haha. I was previously unaware that this match had taken place. I would like to thank my forum brethren for bringing to my attention that this match HAS in fact taken place and that Gordon Ryan won the match in dominant fashion. I shall see if I can find a video of said match and view it.

9/13/20 2:17 PM
3/15/15
There is NO WAY in a MILLION YEARS that Ryan could beat Barnett. Will and would never happen. If it does, OP owes me $100 000 000.

Edited: 9/13/20 2:26 PM
3/19/04
HotSteppa - There is NO WAY in a MILLION YEARS that Ryan could beat Barnett. Will and would never happen. If it does, OP owes me $100 000 000.

While a very tempting bet, I'm going to BARELY summon the will to resist taking it.
9/13/20 4:39 PM
8/20/16

I've always wondered what would have happened if Royler grappled Eddie Bravo.

9/13/20 4:42 PM
3/19/04
blabbermouth - 

If I could have everyone form a line, single file, and then everyone could take their turn in an orderly fashion kicking me while I'm down, that would be great. Thanks.

9/13/20 4:47 PM
1/1/01

Yeah but josh isn't a REAL catch wrestler same as Curran Jacobs stopped being when he also got triangled

9/13/20 5:43 PM
8/20/16
Canooke -
blabbermouth - 

If I could have everyone form a line, single file, and then everyone could take their turn in an orderly fashion kicking me while I'm down, that would be great. Thanks.

Don't feel bad. When I found out Shogun fought Chuck I was in complete disbelief because I'm sure I would have remembered that. Or when Zuluzinhu fought Big Nog.

9/13/20 11:14 PM
7/18/05
Canooke -

Haha. I was previously unaware that this match had taken place. I would like to thank my forum brethren for bringing to my attention that this match HAS in fact taken place and that Gordon Ryan won the match in dominant fashion. I shall see if I can find a video of said match and view it.

Gordon hasn't even hit his prime, Josh is much older. It's the changing of the guards. At first, I didn't buy into the Gordon hype than after watching more of his matches it's pretty evident the guy is one of the best nogi grapplers in the world, hands down.

9/13/20 11:37 PM
3/6/07

I wonder if our country would be so racist and so in love with political parties, that we would elect a racist, failed business owner, and a reality tv host as president. ????

nahhhhh...... would never happen. 

9/14/20 1:43 AM
9/20/19
blabbermouth -

Whatever happened, you can bet neither would even place in their bracket. 

9/15/20 3:04 AM
12/25/05
Ryan is a beast. Its as if he isnt even trying half of the time.

At this rate he will be the greatest No gi grappler of all time.
9/15/20 4:40 PM
12/17/11
It's been a while since I watched the match but I wondered why Barnett put his one hand on the mat seemed like an newbie mistake. Get his balance I suppose. And I don't mean that as a dig on the Warmaster. Shit happens
9/15/20 8:07 PM
8/3/12

9/15/20 9:31 PM
3/19/04
Fern 10th Planet -

Pretty cool that I made a thread asking who would win and then two days later they competed. Thanks for posting that.

Edited: 9/15/20 10:35 PM
2/27/08

9/15/20 10:43 PM
2/27/08

9/25/20 9:21 PM
1/1/01

Personal insight on Gordon: I am a hobbyist black belt and have rolled with many professional grapplers/MMA fighters. Gordon is by far the most decorated person I’ve rolled with.   However, for someone watching who didn’t know who Gordon was, they would never know from our roll.  Unlike others, who simply used their strengths to try and crush me (usually successfully) in order to be the “big man in the gym,” Gordon would continue to put himself in disadvantageous positions to work out of, or play into MY strengths as he recognized them so as to challenge himself. Truly rolling with no ego for the sole sake of learning - taking an unfamiliar training partner and using their movements to test their own training foundations/regimens. After rolling with him it was no surprise why he is the best in the world and will continue to be, while other guys who are successful for today will eventually fall behind. 

9/26/20 7:40 AM
1/1/01

I watched him roll with a few local Blackbelts after a seminar and he let them starts in side and they all just went 100% muscle and tried to maul him. He would casually work his way out with little strength & sub em. Maybe it was in my head but I felt he was thinking "these guys are idiots."
Then he rolled with a little kid who actually knew how to flow and seemed to enjoy that a lot more.
Maybe Gordon is another guy who would call bjj the art or pressure and weight like many do now. But he didn't seem it.
It always baffles me when people go with leglock guys and don't go for leglocks and go with judo guys and jump guard. In training I feel like we should play go people's strength.
But no one actually tried any moves from the seminar. They just tried to hold him. Like that was gonna work...

9/26/20 9:04 AM
3/19/04
The Diet Butcher -

Personal insight on Gordon: I am a hobbyist black belt and have rolled with many professional grapplers/MMA fighters. Gordon is by far the most decorated person I’ve rolled with.   However, for someone watching who didn’t know who Gordon was, they would never know from our roll.  Unlike others, who simply used their strengths to try and crush me (usually successfully) in order to be the “big man in the gym,” Gordon would continue to put himself in disadvantageous positions to work out of, or play into MY strengths as he recognized them so as to challenge himself. Truly rolling with no ego for the sole sake of learning - taking an unfamiliar training partner and using their movements to test their own training foundations/regimens. After rolling with him it was no surprise why he is the best in the world and will continue to be, while other guys who are successful for today will eventually fall behind. 

That is very impressive. Self mastery always is.

9/26/20 10:23 AM
5/11/11

He’s got Matheus Diniz on Friday. Both reigning adcc champs who didn’t have a point scored on them. 

Edited: 9/26/20 12:34 PM
9/20/19
iqwrestler -

He’s got Matheus Diniz on Friday. Both reigning adcc champs who didn’t have a point scored on them. 

Diniz does not engage.  It’ll be interesting.  Or not interesting.