David Jacobs' BJJGround Gordon Ryan vs Josh Barnett?

Edited: 9/27/20 12:12 AM
3/20/14
Canooke - Haha. I was previously unaware that this match had taken place. I would like to thank my forum brethren for bringing to my attention that this match HAS in fact taken place and that Gordon Ryan won the match in dominant fashion. I shall see if I can find a video of said match and view it.

Too bad at least one responder here had to act like a complete, sarcastic, insecure little asshole with you. 

9/27/20 1:52 AM
1/1/01

I hadn't seen the match before, so I'm glad this thread exists just so I could get the opportunity to watch it.

9/27/20 9:38 AM
11/1/05
I would love to have seen PRIME Barnett vs Ryan. Not making excuses for Josh or saying a younger Josh would win, but let's face it, he was in his 40's and sem-retired when he faced Ryan.
Edited: 9/27/20 11:44 PM
9/20/19
BeerMuscles - I would love to have seen PRIME Barnett vs Ryan. Not making excuses for Josh or saying a younger Josh would win, but let's face it, he was in his 40's and sem-retired when he faced Ryan.

Wouldn’t have mattered. He had no answers for Gordon’s bottom game. It wasn’t a matter of strength or athleticism.  Grappling has just ascended to a new level the last 5 years or so. Lister wouldn’t be able to hang either.  It’s a new era.  

9/29/20 7:12 AM
9/20/19
circusmonkey -
Canooke - Haha. I was previously unaware that this match had taken place. I would like to thank my forum brethren for bringing to my attention that this match HAS in fact taken place and that Gordon Ryan won the match in dominant fashion. I shall see if I can find a video of said match and view it.

Too bad at least one responder here had to act like a complete, sarcastic, insecure little asshole with you. 

Get off the internet lol, pussy. Go hit up  your church fellowship. Sounds more up your alley.  

26 days ago
11/1/05
HillboFrateTrane - 
BeerMuscles - I would love to have seen PRIME Barnett vs Ryan. Not making excuses for Josh or saying a younger Josh would win, but let's face it, he was in his 40's and sem-retired when he faced Ryan.

Wouldn’t have mattered. He had no answers for Gordon’s bottom game. It wasn’t a matter of strength or athleticism.  Grappling has just ascended to a new level the last 5 years or so. Lister wouldn’t be able to hang either.  It’s a new era.  

Probably wouldn't have. But it's a much more interesting discussion than what took place. While I think Ryan still beats him, I don't think a prime Barnett gets taken out THAT easy.
11 days ago
1/1/01

Agreed. In rematch josh gets top wristlock, leg scissor or a hammerlock & wins by at least 2 falls. The headlock could be another easy way to win for any real ripper against that chump

7 days ago
9/7/17
BeerMuscles - I would love to have seen PRIME Barnett vs Ryan. Not making excuses for Josh or saying a younger Josh would win, but let's face it, he was in his 40's and sem-retired when he faced Ryan.

I would have liked to see it too but overall I think the outcome would've been the same. 2020 Gordon on top = game over for almost anyone of any era. And I think his guard retention is too good to get passed by Josh and Josh would definitely have to pass to submit him.

I'm glad to read your take though. Because I've seen new school kids act like Josh is a scrub or something because of how quickly he lost. Them overlooking Josh's age and mileage is stupid.
7 days ago
9/9/02
No disrespect to Josh, but Gordon easily handles any verison of Barnett

He has no way to win, he can't pass Gordon's guard and he wouldn't leg lock him, he doesn't have the tools to beat Gordon, Josh has size which really doesn't mean much to Gordon, Buchecha who is a monster didn't even want to engage with Gordon after he swept him

Josh has no path to win against Gordon
7 days ago
9/7/17
The Diet Butcher - 

Personal insight on Gordon: I am a hobbyist black belt and have rolled with many professional grapplers/MMA fighters. Gordon is by far the most decorated person I’ve rolled with.   However, for someone watching who didn’t know who Gordon was, they would never know from our roll.  Unlike others, who simply used their strengths to try and crush me (usually successfully) in order to be the “big man in the gym,” Gordon would continue to put himself in disadvantageous positions to work out of, or play into MY strengths as he recognized them so as to challenge himself. Truly rolling with no ego for the sole sake of learning - taking an unfamiliar training partner and using their movements to test their own training foundations/regimens. After rolling with him it was no surprise why he is the best in the world and will continue to be, while other guys who are successful for today will eventually fall behind. 

Late reply here but I just wanted to echo a similar experience. I rolled with Gordon when I was a brown belt and he was a black belt leading up to his first ADCC before everyone was leg locking.

I felt and saw the same thing. It was mostly a gym full of upper belts too. Almost no one there was below purple. He let people work. I didn't see anyone sub him the entire time.

I went with a fairly relaxed pace with him compared to what I saw others doing. The most impressive thing is that he was the last one to finish rolling. It was just a seminar but he rolled for at least an hour without taking a rest round or water break He wanted to roll with everyone in the room and he let everyone get at least one offensive sequence on him and then forced himself to work out of it.

And even though ADCC was coming up he didn't roll super fast or aggressive. Relaxed pace but stupidly technical.

He also was helpful without totally stopping the roll. I locked up a brabo choke and mounted him to finish it. He calmly dismantled the bomb, swept me, and subbed me with the same move. He then quickly mentioned the detail that he said made my choke fail and his work (retracting your choking arm's elbow across towards your own hip.) Next I put him in the reverse half guard when he was in reverse kesa gatame (side control facing my feet) and after 4-11 heel hooking me from there he told me that was a bad idea against good leg lockers. I appreciated those nuggets of wisdom.
7 days ago
9/9/02
Gordon doesn't waste energy and he isn't really athletic or explosive at all, no one wants him sub only no time limit