6/19/19 12:10 PM
7/12/14

Hey folks. I am a white belt since starting bjj in Nov/2018. Love the art and take learning quite seriously. I am 6', 210lbs and have a high pressure top game. My weaknesses are takedowns and technical sweeps from the bottom. Back mount escapes also. We have grading coming up soon and even though I know I am not blue worthy, I want to build my skills for the next grading. Is there any techniques that helped you guys in your journey to boost your mastery towards blue? 

6/19/19 12:27 PM
1/1/01

I'd focus on whichever techniques your teacher teaches.

Edited: 6/19/19 12:32 PM
8/28/10

All of them you learned and are learning at class

Chase the belt and you'll miss the skills

Chase the skills and you'll earn the belt.

I asked my coach what I need to work on to reach the next level and he told me "always everything, you work it all, I've been black belt since you were child and I still work it all everyday" 

6/19/19 1:03 PM
2/14/19

Actually, your weaknesses are probably everything. Does your coach provide s list of techniques and positions you need to know for blue belt? A lot of places do that and it helps take some of the guess work out of it.

6/19/19 4:58 PM
1/1/01
shen - 

This. You worry about actual technical improvement on whatever your teacher emphasizes. Your belt will come when you are ready, have the skills to back it up.
6/19/19 5:27 PM
7/12/14

Thanks folks. You all pretty much told me what my mind was telling me. Keep being patient and focus on all techniques. 

This is what I have done from the start but lately I have found a greater desire to learn more. I've started reading and watching video but I am trying to be careful. I don't want to overload my brain with too much info. I want to make sure that I am working the beginner techniques efficiently and technically. My dedication to this is definitely paying off because on the open mat days I have been gradually improving against the higher belts and they have been commenting.

Thanks for the help again.  

6/19/19 6:03 PM
4/26/13

There’s a new white belt on this forum?  Wow.  Haven’t seen one of those in years.  Amazing you didn’t end up on Reddit.  Be forewarned, most of the people here are really grumpy.  BJJ isn’t as awful as they’ll tell you it is.

6/19/19 6:30 PM
7/12/14

Lol. Thanks Easters. People can be grumpy, no big deal. I am just happy to get decent replies instead of the nonsense we find on the OG some times. 

6/19/19 6:35 PM
7/25/13

OP, you’ve already identified some areas you feel you need improvement in. Work on one guard sweep, escaping the back mount, and 1 takedown. If you add this to what your instructor is teaching, you have more than enough to work on. Keep it simple. Progress in BJJ is usually the culmination of a lot of small steps forward. Yes, there can be game changing moments, but typically, inching forward is how most get better, in my opinion.

6/19/19 8:53 PM
12/26/02
shen - 

willis007, welcome.

Shen is 10000000% correct here, because BJJ doesn't have universal expectations for grading. So the best thing you can do is figure out what's important to your instructor.

For my money, the best thing you can do at white belt is develop an attitude of attention to detail and precision.  You can also accept the idea that your first 3-5 should be spent focusing on your escapes and defensive guard work.  If you invest time in those right off the bat, they will pay tremendous dividends.

Also, if you devote time to becoming an excellent training partner (one who protects their partners and gives them the best opportunities to improve), you will always have people ready to help you in return.  

Good training to you!

6/19/19 9:55 PM
9/18/04

What will happen if u get ur blue belt? Ur life will change, u will automatically get better? Stop worrying about belts and just show up and sweat. 

6/20/19 7:15 AM
7/12/14
Principal Andy -

OP, you’ve already identified some areas you feel you need improvement in. Work on one guard sweep, escaping the back mount, and 1 takedown. If you add this to what your instructor is teaching, you have more than enough to work on. Keep it simple. Progress in BJJ is usually the culmination of a lot of small steps forward. Yes, there can be game changing moments, but typically, inching forward is how most get better, in my opinion.

Awesome advice. I will definitely carry this forward. 

6/20/19 7:21 AM
7/12/14
twinkletoesCT -
shen - 

willis007, welcome.

Shen is 10000000% correct here, because BJJ doesn't have universal expectations for grading. So the best thing you can do is figure out what's important to your instructor.

For my money, the best thing you can do at white belt is develop an attitude of attention to detail and precision.  You can also accept the idea that your first 3-5 should be spent focusing on your escapes and defensive guard work.  If you invest time in those right off the bat, they will pay tremendous dividends.

Also, if you devote time to becoming an excellent training partner (one who protects their partners and gives them the best opportunities to improve), you will always have people ready to help you in return.  

Good training to you!

Thanks for your reply. My wednesday instructor says much of the same and I have been diligent in trying to be that kind of student. I have noticed that my dedication to the basics is paying off in the open mat sessions (i.e. not getting in bad situations and maintaining proper form through techniques).

6/20/19 7:25 AM
7/12/14
meatballcheeze -

What will happen if u get ur blue belt? Ur life will change, u will automatically get better? Stop worrying about belts and just show up and sweat. 

If you read my OP, I am not focusing on a blue belt. I am focused on getting better. The techniques I want to learn and refine will produce a quality student worthy of a blue belt. You do however make a good point: To get there, I need to show up and put in the work. Thanks!