David Jacobs' BJJGround Gym Gi and Patches...

12 days ago
5/8/11

Any good reason to make these mandatory?  I can see wanting your competition guys to wear a gym patch but during regular training?  

12 days ago
1/1/01

The answer some will give:

"It shows team unity and loyalty!  We are all on the same page as we are Team [Insert Whatever], why wouldn't you want to support the school/team/association with pride?"

The real answer?  It is a easy cash grab.  You don't have to have quality control of items, you get a somewhat steady extra cash flow, you can hike up prices and by that time you have a gym closeness so people don't want to leave and will just swallow it.  So you essentially have customers held hostage.  For some as well its just about control but that varies.  For the most part its just about $ no matter what anybody says.  As you take out the ability to choose based on income, body type, feel and general likes and instead use tribalism and a sense of getting along to gain more income.  Its a old trick and is tried and true as you will always have people that simply go along w it.

12 days ago
8/28/10

As I get older I like the idea and look of a group of guys in the same color GI with the same, identical look, ie. patches. It looks slick and uniform for pictures. 

I never thought this way before and used to get irritated if I was told what to do or wear and always tested the limits. Now I appreciate a group collective look. It just needs to be priced within reason and classy.

Maybe my time in that environment rubbed off on me. In AZ it was mandatary white gi and association patches but any type gi was fine. Walking into a packed gym and seeing uniform color actually looked really slick. I'm a fan now.

12 days ago
1/1/01

Nah its just herd mentality, some honestly like that.  Its hilarious as normally they also hate being told what to do when it doesn't suit them but such is life.  I personally hate it as you create a culture via how people treat each other and support each other, not through a fashion statement.  As having the mandatory look can give people a good feel but can disguise a LOT of issues for the sake of tribalism.  But to each their own.

11 days ago
5/17/13
Hunter V -

The answer some will give:

"It shows team unity and loyalty!  We are all on the same page as we are Team [Insert Whatever], why wouldn't you want to support the school/team/association with pride?"

The real answer?  It is a easy cash grab.  You don't have to have quality control of items, you get a somewhat steady extra cash flow, you can hike up prices and by that time you have a gym closeness so people don't want to leave and will just swallow it.  So you essentially have customers held hostage.  For some as well its just about control but that varies.  For the most part its just about $ no matter what anybody says.  As you take out the ability to choose based on income, body type, feel and general likes and instead use tribalism and a sense of getting along to gain more income.  Its a old trick and is tried and true as you will always have people that simply go along w it.

100% this. 

11 days ago
5/30/03

We have mandatory white gis. Many colored Gis use dyes for coloring. When using cheap dyes,  the color will come off the Gi and damage the mats. If youve invested a fair amount of money in mats,  you are going to keep them in good condition. And sometimes that means you have to regulate attire. 

Edited: 11 days ago
1/1/01

RULE #18 from the Shendokan:

"Nobody is above the collective. Assimilate or perish!"

11 days ago
5/8/11

I travel a lot and always buy white only because it is acceptable everywhere.  I was a GI Joe so I understand uniformity but I don't care much for that in pajamas. 

I can buy a Patriots Jersey but it doesn't mean I am on the team.  I think patches for competition team should be a no brainer but when training, as long as you are not smelly or bleeding on the mats, who cares.  As long as you show up and pay...keep doing that 

11 days ago
1/1/01
The Maestro -

We have mandatory white gis. Many colored Gis use dyes for coloring. When using cheap dyes,  the color will come off the Gi and damage the mats. If youve invested a fair amount of money in mats,  you are going to keep them in good condition. And sometimes that means you have to regulate attire. 

I have been training bjj and judo for over 17yrs and have never seen this.  I swear unless you have a white mat that this is a old wives tale made to control what color gi people have so that a teacher/association can make a damn fashion statement.

11 days ago
5/30/03
Hunter V - 
The Maestro -

I have been training bjj and judo for over 17yrs and have never seen this.  I swear unless you have a white mat that this is a old wives tale made to control what color gi people have so that a teacher/association can make a damn fashion statement.

I own an academy.  You're accusation is baseless.  

11 days ago
8/28/10

Fctv had a gym that had white mats at one point and I remember someone's patch on a white gi left a colored smudge on it lol 

If you got white mats you're getting stains on it one way or another as far as I've seen

3/20/14

At the school I am part of,  the Gis with the academy’s patches are made available but not mandatory. The exception is tournament; they want a patch representing the school or association. The main reason for the academy Gis (and there are a couple of styles) is because new adult students and parents of new children students often don’t know where to begin Gi shopping or sizing. The owner simply makes Gis available at a reasonable price for convenience. He has 200 students and teaches full time; he doesn’t need to nickle & dime anyone.

5/8/11
Sometimes my wife lets me porrada -

Fctv had a gym that had white mats at one point and I remember someone's patch on a white gi left a colored smudge on it lol 

If you got white mats you're getting stains on it one way or another as far as I've seen

Badboy tattoo on the mat!

11 days ago
1/1/01
circusmonkey - 

At the school I am part of,  the Gis with the academy’s patches are made available but not mandatory. The exception is tournament; they want a patch representing the school or association. The main reason for the academy Gis (and there are a couple of styles) is because new adult students and parents of new children students often don’t know where to begin Gi shopping or sizing. The owner simply makes Gis available at a reasonable price for convenience. He has 200 students and teaches full time; he doesn’t need to nickle & dime anyone.

This exactly how it should be done. A good value quality academy gi, perfect for new starters. Then allow students to buy what they want after that. And if the academy gi is good, you'll find lots of the students will keep buying it.

An extra idea is to do a trade in deal for kids gis, and then sell the old ones second hand to parents who can't afford a full price gi.

James
11 days ago
6/4/02

Our team gis and patches are sold “at cost”.  No markup from school owner.  Wear one only for seminars or comps, if u can.

11 days ago
5/17/13
Mike Wazowski -

Our team gis and patches are sold “at cost”.  No markup from school owner.  Wear one only for seminars or comps, if u can.

This is how you do it

11 days ago
5/8/11
Sir Taps -
circusmonkey - 

This exactly how it should be done. A good value quality academy gi, perfect for new starters. Then allow students to buy what they want after that. And if the academy gi is good, you'll find lots of the students will keep buying it.

An extra idea is to do a trade in deal for kids gis, and then sell the old ones second hand to parents who can't afford a full price gi.

James

This makes sense...

11 days ago
5/8/11
Mike Wazowski -

This too...but, I wouldn't even mind a markup.  Shit, gym owners have to keep the doors open and lights on.  I get it.  I just don't buy the "it shows loyalty to the gym" nonsense.  You said I can't train here unless I wear your gi...forced loyalty is not real loyalty. 

11 days ago
3/2/04
Hunter V -
The Maestro -

Yeah: I've dyed every gi I own very silly colours, never had the dye bleed anywhere (I also run a school, since 2014, although our mats have a black vinyl cover. Not a fan of white mats). I can't speak for cheap dodgy dye brands, but Dylon at least is reliable. 

11 days ago
2/15/14
fnunderful -
Mike Wazowski -

This too...but, I wouldn't even mind a markup.  Shit, gym owners have to keep the doors open and lights on.  I get it.  I just don't buy the "it shows loyalty to the gym" nonsense.  You said I can't train here unless I wear your gi...forced loyalty is not real loyalty. 

I mark up the cost on my gi patches, but not by much. Basically to cover the cost, and my time to get it produced.

I don't preach the gym loyalty thing, but I would like more of the students to wear the patches. Would you say it's reasonable in any to make the patches "mandatory?" So much mandatory gi policies out there I wouldnt think a mandatory patch policyt is unreasonable

11 days ago
1/1/01
Sir Taps -
circusmonkey - 

James

Exactly

11 days ago
1/1/01
The Maestro -
Hunter V - 
The Maestro -

What type of mats do you have and what color out of curiosity?  As again I have been at this for half my life and never seen markup due to a gi.  Wrestling shoes yes, but never a gi of any color.

11 days ago
1/1/01
mideastgrappler -
fnunderful -
Mike Wazowski -

I mark up the cost on my gi patches, but not by much. Basically to cover the cost, and my time to get it produced.

I don't preach the gym loyalty thing, but I would like more of the students to wear the patches. Would you say it's reasonable in any to make the patches "mandatory?" So much mandatory gi policies out there I wouldnt think a mandatory patch policyt is unreasonable

I think its reasonable to ASK students to wear the patch during competitions.  As if you are coaching and someone is going on the opposite end its easier to identfiy and get someone over.  When you say it that way most people will want a patch.  Besides, most students want to represent their teacher as it is.  This year I finally made patches and rashguards as I had a lot of students complaining they wanted them, but I don't force them to have to buy it.  As you should want, IMO, students to be loyal to you out of choise and represent you that way vs forced "loyalty".  

Mind you I am a few frills guy, I don't even have my own patch on any of my gis yet as in general I don't like a lot of stuff on my patches.  The plainer the gi the better for my sense of tastes.

11 days ago
5/30/03

Lol people chiming in that academy owners should sell merch at Cost! . 

And that right there is why our industry has the highest turnover in fitness and the smallest pie in martial arts. 

Karate =23

TKD= 13

BJJ=6

11 days ago
5/30/03
Hunter V - 
The Maestro -
Hunter V - 
The Maestro -

What type of mats do you have and what color out of curiosity?  As again I have been at this for half my life and never seen markup due to a gi.  Wrestling shoes yes, but never a gi of any color.

They're light colored but not white.  As I said, we do not force anyone to purchase academy gis.  People are free to purchase from whichever manufacturer they prefer, so long as the Gi is white.  Believe it or not, sometimes, the dye from the drawstrings can bleed as well.  I'm seriously baffled that you either don't believe me or have never heard of dyes bleeding.  Please read for reference