David Jacobs' BJJGround Has anyone ever trained with Mario Sperry?

6/18/19 8:57 PM
1/1/01
Is he legit?

Just kidding.
How was the training experience?
6/18/19 9:55 PM
1/13/06

I've met him a couple of times but never trained with him unfortunately. He's a hero of mine

6/18/19 11:24 PM
5/11/08

Ttt for one of the best. 

6/19/19 12:27 AM
9/26/07

I trained in one session that he taught at Brazilian top team in 2005. It was an mma class and from what I remember he mostly taught Striking then we just did lots of Nogi grappling rounds 

6/19/19 3:12 PM
1/1/01
Yep. Went to a gi seminar of his and it was one of my favorite seminars of all time. Still use everything he taught and he is a EXCELLENT coach when you are doing your rounds. Add in he answered my questions on the side in regards to how he applies his clock choke (and I still only perform and teach the move how he showed me to this day). We trained for 3hrs plus and unfortunately I had to leave, he was still going and was asking why we were leaving so early lol.

I'll put him in my top 5 seminars I have done of all time bjj wise (Sperry, Gordon Ryan, Cobrinhia, Mario Reis, Lucas Lepri) and I have done seminars w a lot of big names (including Royce, Relson, and others). What separates them from most is the fact they actually have details as well as can coach you real-time to help you connect the moves in real training. Many can show moves and tell stories, but can't coach. But these guys can and I can say Sperry is top of the class in that regards. Any other questions and you can ask away.
6/19/19 4:38 PM
1/1/01
Hunter V - Yep. Went to a gi seminar of his and it was one of my favorite seminars of all time. Still use everything he taught and he is a EXCELLENT coach when you are doing your rounds. Add in he answered my questions on the side in regards to how he applies his clock choke (and I still only perform and teach the move how he showed me to this day). We trained for 3hrs plus and unfortunately I had to leave, he was still going and was asking why we were leaving so early lol.

I'll put him in my top 5 seminars I have done of all time bjj wise (Sperry, Gordon Ryan, Cobrinhia, Mario Reis, Lucas Lepri) and I have done seminars w a lot of big names (including Royce, Relson, and others). What separates them from most is the fact they actually have details as well as can coach you real-time to help you connect the moves in real training. Many can show moves and tell stories, but can't coach. But these guys can and I can say Sperry is top of the class in that regards. Any other questions and you can ask away.

Awesome, thanks! If I think of any questions I'll let you know, but thanks for the feedback about the seminar, sounds like an awesome teacher. Love his personality and (sometimes unintended) humor on his old videos.
6/19/19 4:47 PM
1/1/01
His humor is just as upfront in person. It really is his personality lol, he isn't putting on a act.
6/19/19 7:01 PM
10/8/08
pbody - 

Ttt for one of the best. 

Bro i got entire series and in gi too
6/19/19 7:12 PM
1/1/01
Hunter V - His humor is just as upfront in person. It really is his personality lol, he isn't putting on a act.

that's awesome!
6/19/19 7:12 PM
1/1/01
RocknRolla - 
pbody - 

Ttt for one of the best. 

Bro i got entire series and in gi too

nice!
6/19/19 9:18 PM
1/1/01
Hunter V - His humor is just as upfront in person. It really is his personality lol, he isn't putting on a act.

I second this. Listening to him at a seminar was just like listening to him on DVD.

6/19/19 9:26 PM
1/1/01
Hunter V - Yep. Went to a gi seminar of his and it was one of my favorite seminars of all time. Still use everything he taught and he is a EXCELLENT coach when you are doing your rounds. Add in he answered my questions on the side in regards to how he applies his clock choke (and I still only perform and teach the move how he showed me to this day). We trained for 3hrs plus and unfortunately I had to leave, he was still going and was asking why we were leaving so early lol.

And I'll second this as well. He did a great job answering questions about his techniques.

His game, as he tells it, was based on being strong and just wearing down the opponent. Also on being basically the same for gi, no gi, and MMA. 

So IMO it's better for some and worse for others but within that,I enjoyed it tremendously.

6/19/19 9:57 PM
12/21/04
asdf -
Hunter V - Yep. Went to a gi seminar of his and it was one of my favorite seminars of all time. Still use everything he taught and he is a EXCELLENT coach when you are doing your rounds. Add in he answered my questions on the side in regards to how he applies his clock choke (and I still only perform and teach the move how he showed me to this day). We trained for 3hrs plus and unfortunately I had to leave, he was still going and was asking why we were leaving so early lol.

And I'll second this as well. He did a great job answering questions about his techniques.

His game, as he tells it, was based on being strong and just wearing down the opponent. Also on being basically the same for gi, no gi, and MMA. 

So IMO it's better for some and worse for others but within that,I enjoyed it tremendously.

This is an important point....about him using strength. Carlson Gracie was a big advocate of using strength to your advantage. Of course he wanted you to learn good technique, but combine it with as much strength as possible for maximum efficiency. The notion that strength doesn't matter is a fallacy. 

Edited: 6/20/19 2:15 PM
3/20/14

Our chief instructor hosted Mario for two seminars (about a year apart) at his school. He brings his wisdom and high pressure guard passing strategies. He was very attentive to everyone and easygoing personality. Cool to learn from someone I watched in 1999 on VHS. His techniques are still reviewed by us two years later.

6/20/19 2:39 AM
1/1/01
Sperry is awsome. I never trained with him but let me share you a story.

In the year 2000 I was 23 years old and a big BJJ fan. Me and my friends have heard that a lot of the Brazilian ADCC fighters will fly from Brazil to Germany and from Germany to Abu Dhabi.

So me and my friends (one was a Brazilian) went to Frankfurt Airport here in Germany somewhere between 4-5 am.

We went to the women who was calling people out and asked to called out "Mr Mario Sperry from the ADCC Team?

To our surprise Sperry came out (visible tired;-) but was super friendly and nice. We talked a little and made pictures and he made our day.:-)

He was fighting Traven I think and he was pretty big at that time. Really good memories.