David Jacobs' BJJGround Henry Akins and Dynamix MMA?

7/10/19 11:08 AM
1/1/01

I recently recall seeing a revised class schedule from Dynamix MMA in Los Angeles, and I noticed that Henry Akins was no longer listed as teaching any of the jiu jitsu classes? Is he no longer teaching there? Anyone happen to have any information on what is going on with him and the school, or if he is teaching any more?  Thanks.

7/10/19 11:10 AM
4/26/13

His teaching schedule is invisible 

7/10/19 12:04 PM
3/15/15
Easters - 

F#cker, beat me too it.
7/10/19 3:23 PM
1/1/01
liuk3 - 

I recently recall seeing a revised class schedule from Dynamix MMA in Los Angeles, and I noticed that Henry Akins was no longer listed as teaching any of the jiu jitsu classes? Is he no longer teaching there? Anyone happen to have any information on what is going on with him and the school, or if he is teaching any more?  Thanks.

My friend recently told me he is moving.

Man, I would be pretty bummed if my teacher left. I imagine spending a decade with a teacher or going white to brown or white to purple or etc. and then him leaving and never getting a black belt from him.
7/10/19 6:58 PM
2/21/11
As an aside I was listening to the very first Matburn podcast and Keenan was pretty critical of him for not rolling with him. Said it was very suss.
7/11/19 12:08 AM
3/9/13

^^ Pretty sure Akins jiu jitsu is far too deadly to use when casually rolling. 

7/11/19 2:26 PM
1/1/01
Caladan -

Keenan wouldn’t be able to see anything coming. 

7/11/19 2:30 PM
11/25/09
Caladan -

Lol these comments tho.

7/11/19 5:53 PM
1/1/01
Easters - 

Brilliant
7/11/19 8:32 PM
1/1/01
Not sure about them rolling or not, but he is a hell of an instructor. I heard from a friend he is moving too.
7/11/19 11:43 PM
1/1/01
moving where?
Edited: 7/13/19 12:58 AM
1/1/01

I had heard that he was moving too, but I don't know anyone with any more details as to when, why, or where.

7/12/19 8:20 PM
2/15/14

You are in LA, there is so much top notch BJJ schools why would you want to go train with Henry?

7/12/19 11:24 PM
1/1/01

if you look hard enough, the reason is clearly visible. 

7/13/19 7:02 AM
2/15/14
yusul -

What is that? He has produced no notable students and has no coaching or competitive achievements of his own. Lots of heavy marketing about his invisible BJJ yet anyone notable or really skilled that has trained with him anecdotally has nothing spectacular to say about his level of technique and teaching.

Maybe his marketing of his teaching gave these people too much of an expectation of his teachings? 

7/13/19 9:16 AM
6/4/02
mideastgrappler -
yusul -

What is that? He has produced no notable students and has no coaching or competitive achievements of his own. Lots of heavy marketing about his invisible BJJ yet anyone notable or really skilled that has trained with him anecdotally has nothing spectacular to say about his level of technique and teaching.

Maybe his marketing of his teaching gave these people too much of an expectation of his teachings? 

Lol.  You just don’t see it.

7/13/19 2:36 PM
11/24/08

I've said it plenty of times; I've been doing this a long time.  I've trained with some very big names.  Nobody, but nobody has helped my skills more than Henry and his teaching has.  I couldn't care less about how someone's students do in tournaments or if Henry or any other instructor has done well in tournaments.  If I wanted to compete is tournaments, maybe I'd care, but I don't.  By the same logic, I'd rather learn from Rickson than Lloyd Irwin any day and twice on Sunday.

7/13/19 2:53 PM
5/30/03

I thought he owned the gym

7/13/19 3:17 PM
9/9/02
The Milkman - 

I've said it plenty of times; I've been doing this a long time.  I've trained with some very big names.  Nobody, but nobody has helped my skills more than Henry and his teaching has.  I couldn't care less about how someone's students do in tournaments or if Henry or any other instructor has done well in tournaments.  If I wanted to compete is tournaments, maybe I'd care, but I don't.  By the same logic, I'd rather learn from Rickson than Lloyd Irwin any day and twice on Sunday.

Rickson never competed?
Edited: 7/13/19 5:09 PM
11/24/08

He did compete but he he hasn't produced students who have done well in tournaments like Irwin has.  Danaher also has no tournament success to speak of and, until recently, he didn't really have many successful students.  I can tell you that Danaher didn't all of a sudden figure out jiu jitsu in the last few years.  His success, in large part, is due to his knowledge and teaching abilities and those were around long before Ryan, Tonnon, etc.

7/13/19 6:19 PM
9/18/04

I heard he got arrested, for blowing up someone's mind.

7/13/19 7:18 PM
2/15/14
The Milkman -

He did compete but he he hasn't produced students who have done well in tournaments like Irwin has.  Danaher also has no tournament success to speak of and, until recently, he didn't really have many successful students.  I can tell you that Danaher didn't all of a sudden figure out jiu jitsu in the last few years.  His success, in large part, is due to his knowledge and teaching abilities and those were around long before Ryan, Tonnon, etc.

Danaher didn't cmpete nor have a team like he did now but for about the last 10 yrs or so, he had dozens of high level pro fighters train with him and had many many good things to say about him. Henry, not so much. WHile I think Danaher does get too much credit for some things, theres no doubt he is a standout instructor.

I've never trained with Henry myself but many of my friends have and they are all really good guys, none of them were really impressed with Henry and did think his marketing and hype was all he really had to him. They mentioned many of the things he emphasizes are basic things most good schools go over any. Im not saying Henry sucks, but is definitely nothing extravagant like his marketing tries to sell you. His selling of "secret Rickson" techiques really rub me the wrong way.

FFS, Krons school isn't that far from there and Kron does teach there a couple times a week although hes not the main guy

7/14/19 12:30 AM
1/1/01
meatballcheeze - 

I heard he got trapped in-between dimensions.

Invisibility in nothing to play with.

7/14/19 12:09 PM
3/9/13
shen -
meatballcheeze - 

I heard he got trapped in-between dimensions.

Invisibility in nothing to play with.

Trapped? Maybe.

Tapped? NEVER!

7/14/19 12:46 PM
6/7/13

I was at the belt ceremony yesterday, where they announced he was moving to the students. Seemed most of the students knew and are okay with it. Hes only 4 hours away so I assume most students that have gone up the ranks with him will be promoted when he comes in for seminars. Hes been at that school for 10 years, which I think is amazing these days.

He is going to move to Las Vegas. He is not going to open a gym. From what I understand hes only going to teach private classes.