David Jacobs' BJJGround How to weed out a fake black belt

7 days ago
1/5/17

So a known scam artist is opening up a spot in my city very close to where my academy is, what should I do? He has been called out for being a fake many times bb and everytime would take off his belt put a lower color rank then disappear and come back a bb. Now a lot of people in the bjj community know about him but can easily fool newcomers because he is a complete sociopath and is very good selling himself. Just plain disgraceful pos con-artist

A. Now I feel like I should storm his mcdojo and challenge him in front his students and rip his blackbelt from unconscious body every week until he quits.

B. Send over high level players in whites belts and roll him and his students up then call him a scam artist then make it rain business cards

C. Gather all the legit high level black belts in the state to raid his gym and tell him to leave

What's your thoughts and solutions?

6 days ago
2/27/08
As long as we see video either of those options are AOK.

6 days ago
6/4/02

Hurt them where it counts.

openly invite his students no charge to train.  Over and over.  Via all mediums.  Facebook, instagram, word of mouth.

Dont get all wrapped around shit talking him.  Upsell yourself.  

BMW doesn’t shit talk Lada (unknown nothing brand)... BMW attaches great worth to itself and offers quality.  People recognize it.

If asked you just state your opinion professionally about this guy but don’t attack him openly.  

Dojo storm is a 90s thing.  This guy will press charges, assuming you even get in the door.

Edited: 6 days ago
1/1/01

^ Pretty good advice.

Realistically, there's not much you can do, OP, that won't backfire. You DON'T want to get into a "war" with him. That will just make people avoid the both of you. You can't "fix" the guy.

Fakes always have students. I don't know why, but they always do.

Most people can't tell OK jiu jitsu from good jiu jitsu from great jiu jitsu from fake jiujitsu.

6 days ago
1/5/17
Mike Wazowski -

Hurt them where it counts.

openly invite his students no charge to train.  Over and over.  Via all mediums.  Facebook, instagram, word of mouth.

Dont get all wrapped around shit talking him.  Upsell yourself.  

BMW doesn’t shit talk Lada (unknown nothing brand)... BMW attaches great worth to itself and offers quality.  People recognize it.

If asked you just state your opinion professionally about this guy but don’t attack him openly.  

Dojo storm is a 90s thing.  This guy will press charges, assuming you even get in the door.

One of my students told me he's been telling people from other academies they could train for free at his place. But you right I can blast it via all mediums.

Great advice, I appreciate it.  

5 days ago
8/3/12
Red Stuff - As long as we see video either of those options are AOK.

I still wanna see one of these options :D