David Jacobs' BJJGround Hugo Duarte: Luta Livre

9/15/20 5:24 PM
1/1/01

Maybe, i don't recall and didn't find any adverts before 2001, which is how i came up with the date. And i actually didn't recall seeing them advertised until 2002, and that was only in grappling, not in black belt

9/15/20 5:34 PM
1/1/01

The reason I am thinking it was 1999 to 2000 is because a guy from my karate school bought them. I left that gym around that time frame and started traneing UFC. I could be rmixing up the dates though. 

9/15/20 10:02 PM
1/1/01

Was it the same guy giving the explanations as in the hugo duarte videos? Those put me a little gunshy of lapenda and the booner. Just the thought of not having them has been hell though.

9/17/20 2:01 AM
1/1/01

Second tape of the advanced set, circa 2000

9/17/20 3:41 PM
1/1/01

I was just reading, (and by reading i mean looking at the pictures of ) Hidetaka Aso's latest book, "Last Submission" circa 1996. Aso was a student of old school wrestler Karl Gotch, and had won a legitimate FIAS Sambo world championship in the early 80's .He was the founder of S.A.W, the organization koichiro Kimura(RIP) represented in tigermask's Japan Vale Tudo that was featured on the Rickson Gracie documentary "Choke". Anyhoo, Aso has a really strange quirk where he list the blood type of everyone in his organization, which seemed like an odd thing to put in his book.

9/17/20 4:39 PM
1/1/01

That is definitely odd! Is there such a thing as a blood fetish?

9/17/20 4:58 PM
1/1/01

if anyone would have it, it'd be the japanese

Edited: 9/17/20 11:55 PM
1/1/01
j-money -

The reason I am thinking it was 1999 to 2000 is because a guy from my karate school bought them. I left that gym around that time frame and started traneing UFC. I could be rmixing up the dates though. 

2002 is the earliest i find the set in any advertisement, which was in grappling. Could you ask your buddy if there's a date on the box, there isn't on most of the stuff from Boon and lapenda, but hope springs eternal.  Man, if i had those pele tapes i'd be chopping high fucking cotton. I just found EEGAH!! on youtube, so i got that going for me. If you haven't seen it, it stars richard"jaws"Kiel as a neanderthal named eegah, the last survivor of his people in the modern day mojave desert. This is cinema as art.

Watch out for snakes@10.29

9/18/20 6:55 AM
1/1/01

It's funny you posted Richard Kiel I just watched the longest yard.

9/18/20 8:37 AM
1/1/01
de braco -
j-money -

2002 is the earliest i find the set in any advertisement, which was in grappling. Could you ask your buddy if there's a date on the box, there isn't on most of the stuff from Boon and lapenda, but hope springs eternal.  Man, if i had those pele tapes i'd be chopping high fucking cotton. I just found EEGAH!! on youtube, so i got that going for me. If you haven't seen it, it stars richard"jaws"Kiel as a neanderthal named eegah, the last survivor of his people in the modern day mojave desert. This is cinema as art.

I haven't talked to him since probably 2001. I can't find anything online about the set. Did you find the advertisement in a physical copy of the magazine or something online?

9/18/20 8:40 AM
8/20/16
mongrel 911 -

Never seen the original. Am I inventing memories, or did the Adam Sandler version have Bob Sapp saying, "He brokedid my nose!" like some kind of mentally challenged man-child?

9/18/20 10:22 AM
1/1/01
j-money -
de braco -
j-money -

I haven't talked to him since probably 2001. I can't find anything online about the set. Did you find the advertisement in a physical copy of the magazine or something online?

I have all the grappling magazine from the first IKF special to 2004 or so. Around late 2000 it became a regular monthly magazine. Its success led blackbelt to give the good baron his own magazine to compete. For once, inside Kung pow was in the drivers seat and rainbow publications was not liking it one bit.

9/18/20 1:24 PM
1/1/01

this is 2003, I'm sure I have seen it in 2002 though
Edited: 9/18/20 3:24 PM
1/1/01

I don't know how to upload pics anymore lol. Here is an advertisement for it from Jan 2000 in Black Belt Magazine:

https://ibb.co/HX8Lc0h

Edited: 9/18/20 3:24 PM
1/1/01

9/18/20 3:58 PM
1/1/01

i see new arrivals with the 3 year old rutten tapes mentioned along with vovchanchin,(who by the way gets a full page ad in the same issue) and pele, so your friend ordered them based only on the strength of the word "pele"? without even knowing what the various tapes cover, just the word pele?

Jmoney associate: " YAH, Give me all them goddamn pele's"

Rio sports: "that'l be $222. sir"

Jmoney associate: "what what!! Can you at least tell me what the various tapes cover"

Rio sports: "PELE!!!"

Because you can look at every single remaining issue of black belt on google books and there won't be a conventional advertisement for the tapes. I have all the physical copies up to the ending on google and beyond until about 2010.They never appeared in print until 2002. I'll concede the word pele from 2000, i suspect it's like the mark coleman ground-n-pound and gene lebell's judo set from panther productions that was coming soon but never materialized. Although pele did materialize a few years later. I'd wager your friend was the sole purchaser of the set from the year 2000 until 2002, i'm not even psycho enough to spend a couple hundred on the strength of one word.

*rio sports operator is voiced by kathy bates in character as bobby boucher's mother

Edited: 9/18/20 5:02 PM
1/1/01

About Richard Kiel, i've recently learned that the professional wrestler, Ski-Hi lee, before he died had said that kiel was his son, Ski-Hi had acomegaly also. Ski-Hi said he abandoned the family as a young man and hadn't seen him since until he saw him on tv.

Ski-Hi and Frank Sinatra

It may very well be bullshit, lee was after all, a professional wrestler, and wasn't even from texas, as billed, but from toronto

Edited: 9/18/20 5:02 PM
1/1/01
de braco -

i see new arrivals with the 3 year old rutten tapes mentioned along with vovchanchin,(who by the way gets a full page ad in the same issue) and pele, so your friend ordered them based only on the strength of the word "pele"? without even knowing what the various tapes cover, just the word pele?

Jmoney associate: "what what!! Can you at least tell me what the various tapes cover"

Because you can look at every single remaining issue of black belt on google books and there won't be a conventional advertisement for the tapes. I have all the physical copies up to the ending on google and beyond until about 2010.They never appeared in print until 2002. I'll concede the word pele from 2000, i suspect it's like the mark coleman ground-n-pound and gene lebell's judo set from panther productions that was coming soon but never materialized. Although pele did materialize a few years later. I'd wager your friend was the sole purchaser of the set from the year 2000 until 2002, i'm not even psycho enough to spend a couple hundred on the strength of one word.

*rio sports operator is voiced by kathy bates in character as bobby boucher's mother

I had BVF 5 and 6, and that's how he found out about Pele, by watching those events. He was a former Denver Nuggets player, so money wasn't an issue. I don't know what advertisement he saw. I was just trying to find the earliest mention of the series. This advertisement is from Sept 2000. 

View post on imgur.com

9/18/20 4:55 PM
1/1/01
blabbermouth -
mongrel 911 -

Never seen the original. Am I inventing memories, or did the Adam Sandler version have Bob Sapp saying, "He brokedid my nose!" like some kind of mentally challenged man-child?

You have to see the Burt Reynolds version. Yep Bob Sapp was the heavy.

9/18/20 5:15 PM
1/1/01
j-money -
de braco -

I had BVF 5 and 6, and that's how he found out about Pele, by watching those events. He was a former Denver Nuggets player, so money wasn't an issue. I don't know what advertisement he saw. I was just trying to find the earliest mention of the series. This advertisement is from Sept 2000. 

View post on imgur.com

it was only ever just print, while everyone else got full page ads. And this was at the pele's height, before his stock went down with the dajiro matsui debacle. It astounds me why everyone else gets full page and he only gets print. I'll fully admit i'm wrong, feel free to save this and throw it up to me when i become insufferable.

9/18/20 6:20 PM
1/1/01
de braco -
j-money -
de braco -

View post on imgur.com

it was only ever just print, while everyone else got full page ads. And this was at the pele's height, before his stock went down with the dajiro matsui debacle. It astounds me why everyone else gets full page and he only gets print. I'll fully admit i'm wrong, feel free to save this and throw it up to me when i become insufferable.

Pele definitely got the shaft. No hespect. What is your personal holy grail tape or series?

9/18/20 7:13 PM
1/1/01
j-money -
de braco -
j-money -
de braco -

View post on imgur.com

Pele definitely got the shaft. No hespect. What is your personal holy grail tape or series?

The tie for "holy grail" would be the set Rey Diego did with Carlson Jr and the edward lee vincent(walt bayless blackbelt) set, in second place would be a tie between the reuben rodrigues bjj set put out by nick starks and those pele tapes from rio. I&I sports will still sell the occasional odd pele tape they come across in their warehouse, but they're always toward the tail end of rio sports where they'd went with the non set specific boxes for all the tapes that just said "combat Channel" in an effort to cut cost, panther did the same toward the end, putting everything in yellow generic panther boxes.

9/19/20 2:22 PM
1/1/01
What I always found funny was it didn't matter what the background the featured fighter had, every series seemed to have the same template, i.e.

Tape 1. Warm up and conditioning/Fitness routine.
Tape 2. Striking
Tape 3. Takedowns

Then there would generally be a dedicated video for Guard, Mount, Leg Locks, Armbars, and Chokes. Maybe ending with a highlight video if the fighter featured has enough for a videos worth of footage.

Kimo Was a prime example, for the one he did with Joe Moriera. Don Frye was another one, and many other series all seemed to have the same template.

Igor Vovchanchyn had a set out like this and it just made me think, why would I learn submissions from Igor?

I used to look for tapes that had specific elements a fighter was known for, like I bought Mark Kerr's Takedown videos but not the full set. I was tempted to pull the trigger on Wallid Ismael's dedicated Clock Choke video, as it was the sub he used to beat Royce Gracie, but after seeing the 4 vale tudo videos from that set im glad I didnt.
9/19/20 2:40 PM
1/1/01

I remember getting a vhs and it being 20 minutes if hip circles, arm circles ad 10 minutes of techniques. Warm ups are important but not on an instructional. I think Joe Moriera had a tape and it was a warm up I think everyone was following a format like you said. When Beasley was shooting his Panther series, he said it was super formatted and had to be cleared before shooting.

As for specific elements, you can look at Erik Paulson material, he literally covers everything. 

9/21/20 4:33 PM
1/1/01

I was going to upload this but found it already on youtube uploaded by someone with the kanji stick picture name of      ???. I don't remember when these were from, obviously not later than 2003. RIP Alex, a reminder that shit can go sideways and getting into an altercation with someone who has nothing to lose may not end well