David Jacobs' BJJGround Hugo Duarte: Luta Livre

10/21/20 10:02 PM
1/9/20

The small circle crowd would probably have a lot more respect if it weren't for their oft associating with Dillman. That said, I always thought it would be cool to have black belts in BJJ, Danzan Ryu, and Small-Circle JJ.

10/21/20 10:35 PM
1/1/01

Watching leon on that national geographic special trying to no touch knockout a member of the film crew was rather uncomfortable, he's just all concentrating hard enough to give himself a stroke and the yahoo refuses to cooperate. A poster here who went by the name of scuffler used to write to blackbelt magazine after every dillman article, stating that it was the biggest bunch of bullshit he'd ever seen in his life. Wally jay offered to pay his seminar entrance for a dillman seminar but i don't think scuffler ever took them up on it. I think he sensed a set-up where georgie boy would call the cops and file assault charges. I recommend reading dillman's autobiography, it's some far out stuff!

10/22/20 12:04 AM
12/26/02

I should have added: Dillman was at some of those events and he's a real piece of work.  Terrible presenter (even if you did believe in all his crazy stuff.) 

The karate studio where I grew up had him out for a seminar (because they didn't ask me about him first) and it was a royal disaster.  Dillman was swearing up a storm and making masturbation jokes in a room full of kids. And that's on top of the material being his usual craziness.  

It should communicate volumes that his entire organization, including his wife, left him en masse.  

10/22/20 1:22 AM
1/1/01
mbetz1981 - 

The small circle crowd would probably have a lot more respect if it weren't for their oft associating with Dillman. That said, I always thought it would be cool to have black belts in BJJ, Danzan Ryu, and Small-Circle JJ.

I have a couple of those and it's not that cool.

10/22/20 4:03 AM
9/14/13

Before De Braco potentiallly fades into the ether I'd like to request the entirity of the sonnon leg lock tapes to be up, given i'd like to be good at leglocks, but don't want to pay danaher money or listen to his horribly verbose manner of speaking

Edited: 10/22/20 12:02 PM
8/20/16

Cool kneebar escape at 22:11, never seen it before.

10/22/20 11:56 AM
8/20/16

<----- hella interesting heel hook at 15:22

10/22/20 1:25 PM
1/1/01

The extreme pancrase is probably my all time favorite set

Edited: 10/22/20 4:11 PM
8/20/16

It's definitely up there, but in my mind Mario Sperry's Vale Tudo is unbeatable.

If you guys load this video in youtube, it'll take you to a play list with a bunch of Cesar Gracie, Frank Shamrock, Randy couture, Bas Rutten and Lyoto Machida instructional vids:

10/22/20 4:14 PM
8/20/16

<----- a lot of ideas in this Randy vid that are now just a part of modern BJJ

10/22/20 6:36 PM
1/1/01

sperrys first vale tudo is up there also. If i was recommending something for newbs it'd be the torrance combatives, original sperry and bas's extreme pancrase

10/22/20 8:19 PM
3/15/15
De braco,
this thread inspired me to go through some of my old VHS bootlegs and parse them down. Just tossed old Despasquale bootlegs, not sure if they are available anywhere uploaded, a few from the 1990s, I'm wondering if I should save them? about 50 just went in the garbage pickup this week. Are there any BJJ bootlegs I should keep if I find them that are lost to time outside of Carlson Jr. ones that don't seem to be around. I don't even know all tha tI have.

A guy that I used to trade with is purging his collection of BJJ and other tapes from late 80s to early 2000, anything to keep an eye out for that isn't uploaded or available on DVD? He did mention Caludio franca series bootlegs, but I should ask him to make a list before things are lost to time.
Edited: 10/23/20 5:40 AM
1/1/01

i've uploaded the entire claudio franca set on this thread, all commercial tapes. See if there's any of those sharkbait despasquale vids, those are hard to find to the extent that i suspect they were purged, they're supposedly spectacular, in that special kind of east coast "jiujitsu" way. Despasquale jr did a 2 tape set with mike swain that's not very common. The bob bass & Rick williams tapes from SBGI are well worth keeping if you have any of those, they're really hard to find. The jacare(alliance-not de souza) tapes from the 90's. the Ruben Rodriguez set, of course. The Edward Lee Vincent set, he was an early walt bayless black belt. The chris haueter bjj streetfighting tapes from SBGI. I've only uploaded 3 of those, being that's all i have. I've got the entire fabio gurgel set from the 90's that i've uploaded a few from, no-one seems to care for them, for the time they were good though. Either set from Egan Inoue are hard to find, the second set from SBGI being much rarer than the first set from unique publications. The judo set by teimoc johnston ono is hard to track down, they were sold by MASS, which i suspect was ono's martial arts supply company. the number 9, the number 9, the number 9(feral cat in heat screeching) the number 9

Ono has actually won a couple BJJ black belt world masters titles, in addition to a couple judo world master titles.

Edit: adding- the $21 Brazilian productions BJJ tape from coos bay Oregon. A lesson in perceived value, I reckon.

Edited: 10/23/20 5:23 AM
1/1/01
flemingo -

Before De Braco potentiallly fades into the ether I'd like to request the entirity of the sonnon leg lock tapes to be up, given i'd like to be good at leglocks, but don't want to pay danaher money or listen to his horribly verbose manner of speaking

The pinkos don't have courage in their convictions, so have had no takers on my wager. They're content to just soldier on spewing their shareblue bullshit, but not back it up. I'm a bit bonkers when it comes to jkd bruce lee loons and communist, the jkd loons also have no courage in their convictions. When it comes to those two subjects, sanity, reason and empathy are swamped under a tsunami of insanity, rage, and the desire for utter destruction.

The master milliner, Circa 2004. I've never watched this so have no idea of its worth, or lack thereof.

Edited: 10/23/20 2:07 AM
1/1/01

This one was another suggested video, uploaded by kaze no ryu. Some far out stuff! Their ambiance music has a decent beat but you really can't dance to it. Looking on the bright side, they've got some groovy britches! In the mid 70's the hakama briefly came into s.t.y.l.e known as "elephant pants", i can recall seeing a black cat on bandstand during the stroll, laying down the funk in a dark blue hakama and rising sun w/kanji headband. they quickly morphed into just really baggy giant bell bottoms with normal buttons and zippers though.

10/23/20 2:33 PM
1/1/01

from 2001: A Oregonians odyssey,, or To coos bay and back again
Edited: 10/23/20 9:33 PM
1/1/01
^

That's actually a pretty sad looking Kimura in that picture.
Edited: 10/24/20 8:27 AM
1/1/01

I have to wonder who produced those tapes, coos bay was hardly a hotbed of brazilian immigration in the mid 90's, Marcelo Alonso in Seattle is really the only one anywhere in the Pacific NW that springs to mind during that timeframe. It's weird how one's mind works, as in that particular advertisement was around for years and i never purchased it at the bargain basement price, yet wouldn't bat an eye at a couple hundred and up for the latest from the WGF, Panther, WMA, Ralph/Renzo/Cesar, etc,etc.

Another suggested video, this one from the far out GM Robert "sugar' Crosson. Uploaded by nokado1, several other far out east coast jujitsu uploads as well on his channel.

10/23/20 10:16 PM
3/15/15
de braco - 

i've uploaded the entire claudio franca set on this thread, all commercial tapes. See if there's any of those sharkbait despasquale vids, those are hard to find to the extent that i suspect they were purged, they're supposedly spectacular, in that special kind of east coast "jiujitsu" way. Despasquale jr did a 2 tape set with mike swain that's not very common. The bob bass & Rick williams tapes from SBGI are well worth keeping if you have any of those, they're really hard to find. The jacare(alliance-not de souza) tapes from the 90's. the Ruben Rodriguez set, of course. The Edward Lee Vincent set, he was an early walt bayless black belt. The chris haueter bjj streetfighting tapes from SBGI. I've only uploaded 3 of those, being that's all i have. I've got the entire fabio gurgel set from the 90's that i've uploaded a few from, no-one seems to care for them, for the time they were good though. Either set from Egan Inoue are hard to find, the second set from SBGI being much rarer than the first set from unique publications. The judo set by teimoc johnston ono is hard to track down, they were sold by MASS, which i suspect was ono's martial arts supply company. the number 9, the number 9, the number 9(feral cat in heat screeching) the number 9

Ono has actually won a couple BJJ black belt world masters titles, in addition to a couple judo world master titles.

Edit: adding- the $21 Brazilian productions BJJ tape from coos bay Oregon. A lesson in perceived value, I reckon.

Hey,
I have the Jacare tapes, I am guessing they are going to be grainy now. Documentary sort of videos, IIRC. So perhaps I should save it. I found an hour video on Youtube, not sure if rest have been uploaded.
The 2 Depasquale tapes I have found so far are "Illegal Strikes, Strangulations and Submission Holds" and "Pressure Point Knockout Techniques". I will look for more but maybe already chucked them. I just check and see the they are for sale on DVD in Depasquale's store.

That guy I used to trade with said he also found a few Marc McFann grappling bootlegs, I think from the 90s. He's not sure if they have been uploaded anywhere.
10/23/20 11:05 PM
1/1/01

the Mcfann stuff is similiar to the shootwrestling USA stuff(which had less than zero to do with legit shoot)  in that it's a whole bunch of stuff that's practiced on compliant ukes and would only work on a non compliant one if they were shot in the head first. The tour is the only tape of jacares i've seen.

10/23/20 11:32 PM
1/9/20
de braco -

I have to wonder who produced those tapes, coos bay was hardly a hotbed of brazilian immigration in the mid 90's, Marcelo Alonso in Seattle is really the only one anywhere in the Pacific NW that springs to mind during that timeframe. It's weird how one's mind works, in that particular advertisement was around for years and i never purchased it at the bargain basement price, yet wouldn't bat an eye at a couple hundred and up for the latest from the WGF, Panther, WMA, Ralph/Renzo/Cesar, etc,etc.

Another suggested video, this one from the far out GM Robert "sugar' Crosson. Uploaded by nokado1, several other far out east coast jujitsu uploads as well on his channel.

I got to attend a seminar with Marcelo Alonso, and I don't think I've ever personally encontured anyone with more Jiu-Jitsu knowledge than that guy. This was back in...probably late 99, and I think he must have forgotten more BJJ than most black belts aquire in a lifetime. 

10/24/20 1:03 AM
1/1/01

He was already a coral belt at that point wasn't he?

Edited: 10/24/20 1:18 AM
1/1/01

Another advert for the outfit out of coos bay, this time from 99'. By this point, they had added another tape to the lineup. If you're going to coos bay, wear a flower in your hair

10/24/20 7:59 AM
1/1/01

Sambo,

10/24/20 8:58 AM
1/1/01

Love that guys channel, lots of great stuff! Spending a couple days at sambo70 is on my bucket list