David Jacobs' BJJGround Hugo Duarte: Luta Livre

17 days ago
1/1/01

Yeah RVC did actually fight, in full-contact tournaments overseas, in UFC and supposedly in the street as a NYC Transit cop. I’m just poking fun at the absurd hyperbole heaped on the martial arts back in the 70s. 

Edited: 17 days ago
1/1/01

I also had RVC’s book back in the day. He was inspiring to us young karate men.  

17 days ago
1/1/01

The Last Dragon with RVC's Taimak. Honeslty a great movie in my opinion. Plus it had Vanity!

17 days ago
3/15/15
Fast Pitch - 

Yeah RVC did actually fight, in full-contact tournaments overseas, in UFC and supposedly in the street as a NYC Transit cop. I’m just poking fun at the absurd hyperbole heaped on the martial arts back in the 70s. 

From my personal perspective (and I posted similar on the UG a while back) RVC was probably the best kung fu guy of his time. And yeas in the 1970s/early 80s he actually did fight in limited rules tournaments that allowed GROUNDWORK with strikes. In fact there is a video on Youtube of him trying the double ankle grab sweep in one of those overseas tournies (I think he got KTFO in one of them with kicks from a standing opponent while he was in guard or something like that) and wasn't afraid to put it on the line. A true martial artist ahead of his time, and personally I have no doubt he would have beaten Bruce in real fighting or in those tournies. Surprisingly, Bruce was around in the area at the time of the tournaments but conveniently ignored them.
16 days ago
1/1/01
HotSteppa -
Fast Pitch - 

From my personal perspective (and I posted similar on the UG a while back) RVC was probably the best kung fu guy of his time. And yeas in the 1970s/early 80s he actually did fight in limited rules tournaments that allowed GROUNDWORK with strikes. In fact there is a video on Youtube of him trying the double ankle grab sweep in one of those overseas tournies (I think he got KTFO in one of them with kicks from a standing opponent while he was in guard or something like that) and wasn't afraid to put it on the line. A true martial artist ahead of his time, and personally I have no doubt he would have beaten Bruce in real fighting or in those tournies. Surprisingly, Bruce was around in the area at the time of the tournaments but conveniently ignored them.

Bruce who? Tegner?

16 days ago
1/1/01

1st tape of the series from 2009.

16 days ago
1/1/01

i'm going to found my own style based on the teachings of my aikijujutsu, kenpo and wing chung video tape collection and christen it Awkwardo.

15 days ago
1/1/01

Awkwardo! Sign me up. Thanks for the Thornton tape.

15 days ago
1/1/01

^hwardo guy should have used the awkwardo name. it's very apropos

Another good tape from sonnon Circa 2000

14 days ago
1/1/01

last of the mohicans for kerr. Circa 1998

11 days ago
1/1/01

Circa 2006

11 days ago
1/1/01

Thanks for the Grapplers Toolbox. I had it on vhs and  walked funny for days due to the shin box drills. This one seems different than the one I had. I still practise Sonnon's InTuFlo. He had some great stuff.  

11 days ago
1/1/01

The Youtube gods delivered the only instructional I will ever need. 

Edited: 4 days ago
1/1/01

1st tape of the set, circa 2001

4 days ago
1/1/01

The Kuzushi tape has some great info on it. Thanks.

3 days ago
1/1/01

Circa 2000

3 days ago
1/1/01

Thank You! for the Paulson! Made my day.

3 days ago
1/1/01

This is the focus gloves series from the same Paulson series. It's MMA related drills. For anyone who hasn't seen it, it's very applicable today.

2 days ago
1/1/01

old school 1999 style

2 days ago
1/1/01
mongrel 911 -

This is the focus gloves series from the same Paulson series. It's MMA related drills. For anyone who hasn't seen it, it's very applicable today.

it's a goddamn good thing bruce lee invented all those mitt drills

2 days ago
1/1/01
de braco -
mongrel 911 -

it's a goddamn good thing bruce lee invented all those mitt drills

Haha yeah the Dragon definitely gets the credit. Gohlar was a great wrestler. He was with Sperry and Bustamante back in the day.

1 day ago
1/1/01

Are those gholar wgf tapes the same ones paul sells?

1 day ago
1/1/01
de braco -

Are those gholar wgf tapes the same ones paul sells?

I'm not sure. The Gohlar I have looks self produced. I believe he had a stroke and was using the profits for medical needs. I can send it to you.