David Jacobs' BJJGround Hugo Duarte: Luta Livre

11/5/19 2:19 AM
1/1/01

Second tape of the basics set, hard to believe it's been 20 years. A very good set, paul still sells them thru ultimate imports,/WMA, so it might be getting the zap. I purchased these from cesar right after ralph and cesar went their seperate ways.

Animated GIF - Find & Share on GIPHY

Edited: 11/5/19 8:48 AM
1/1/01

At the time, $200 for 9 tapes was an insanely good deal. Rickson had some interesting commentary on cesar prior to debut against frank shamrock

In an interview with ESPN Magazine weeks before the fight, Rickson Gracie stated that Cesar is a Gracie only on the woman's side of the family. "Strange to me that he don't represent his own father's name when fighting a great former champion like Frank Juarez Shamrock."

When asked if there was any way that Cesar could pull out a win against Shamrock, Rickson said, "there is no way, my friend...you can give a duck bread year after year and the duck will feed on it as if he were human. But once you stop giving the bread to the duck, can it still fish and fend for itself? Well, it is time for Cesar to fend for himself."

Two jupes cemented his legacy with this comment

"Give a duck his bread, and his career will be destroyed by a flamboyant gorilla with dyed hair, but teach a duck to bake and he will run a successful no gi franchise."

11/5/19 11:06 AM
1/1/01

I remember that fight. Frank never broke a sweat before dispatching Gracie. I think it was maybe 2 mins in? It was quick 

Edited: 11/5/19 11:57 AM
1/1/01

Indeed, talk about the wrong first fight. In cesar's defense, I doubt rickson would have done any better.

It's too bad, Cesar needed his bread for food

11/5/19 1:51 PM
1/1/01
de braco -

Second tape of the basics set, hard to believe it's been 20 years. A very good set, paul still sells them thru ultimate imports,/WMA, so it might be getting the zap. I purchased these from cesar right after ralph and cesar went their seperate ways.

This is a very good set. I basically learned Jiu-Jitsu by watching all of Cesar Gracie’s sets. It was 2004 and I was the whitest of white belts. Every class I attended was full of blue and purples and the instructor was teaching De La Riva sweeps and spider guard passes but no concepts or strategy or basics. I was lost so I bought the Cesar set and watched it over and over. I imagined myself as Helio learning by watching Carlos teach private lessons and changing the leverage for more efficiency. I figured Cesar produced Jake Shields  and David Terrell, so maybe I could learn a thing or two. 

11/5/19 2:17 PM
1/1/01

i always liked cesars stuff, the first series he put out with ralph was one of the best early sets. I bet those gracie systems sets were big sellers, just based on his impeccable english, he had the highest kazeka muniz rating for understandable english on the old bill lewis site

11/5/19 2:20 PM
1/1/01

and that was long before paul started selling set

Edited: 11/5/19 3:38 PM
8/28/10
de braco -

uploaded by a one "perry" Hauck. Madness, but rather interesting

Wonder who would win in a battle to the death, this guy or Shen?

Edited: 11/5/19 3:53 PM
1/1/01

this Perry character isn't even Japanese, so i'd have to go with shen.

11/7/19 11:12 AM
1/1/01

My favorite instructional circa 2005

11/7/19 4:45 PM
1/1/01

Cool, thanks. I've not seen any by jacare

11/8/19 9:32 AM
1/1/01
de braco -

Cool, thanks. I've not seen any by jacare

You’re welcome! It’s broken up into multiple 10 min-ish segments on YouTube but I think it’s all there. It was released by the cleverly-named BJJTapes (run by a guy who helped open the first “official” Gracie Barra gym, who ended up in a dispute with Carlinhos and Marcio Feitosa).  Back then BJJTapes was releasing a lot of good stuff including Feitosa and Pe De Pano instructionals. What I liked about the Jacare one is it made techniques seem so simple, then showed Jacare pulling it off in competitions. 

11/8/19 10:27 AM
1/1/01

most of those bjjtapes products were exclusively gracie barra, the jacare one must have been a big F.U. to carlinhos

25 days ago
1/1/01

this was another suggested video, this one uploaded by Lancashire catch wrestling of Tall Tommy Heyes demonstrating nelsons, including one variant that i have to wonder if it isn't the origin of the "Hawaiian" choke of small circle/danzan ryu infamy, could it be the the mechanics were just forgotten over time to leave the final nut cracker nelson in insane isolation with no clue how to get there from here. deep thoughts and questions to which no one gives a fuck for the answers to.

23 days ago
1/1/01

Hiw about the Bionic woman version?

23 days ago
1/1/01

Lindsay would have been in so much trouble, she would have regained consciousness  cross-eyed and pregnant after i was through with her. She would have needed those bionics, i was stronger than a motherfucker and a wrestling fool back in the day. i suppose this wasn't the "correct" thing to say, but the field where i cultivate my fucks is completely barren

22 days ago
1/1/01

Excellent technique The Slide By from Lancanshire Catch Wrestling. 

22 days ago
1/1/01

he clearly doesn't give a shuck if they're paying attention or not

20 days ago
1/1/01

2nd tape of the set, circa 2003

19 days ago
9/9/02
Amazing thread, loved reading the Panther video ads and seeing what was new that month, also UP had some good videos, always thought they were a step above the Panther stuff, Burton Richardson, couple other JKD guys, one had a good trapping series for UP

Worst video I ever bought was a Greco one, think it was Reza something

Barely any technical content and had a million slow mo's lol, it was a Panther video of course
19 days ago
9/9/02
Me and my JKD buddy at the time had the Nicholas Starks leg lock videos, he had some mats and we would be cranking on each others legs going over the video lol

It was a great time in Martial Arts!
19 days ago
1/1/01

then did you guys go to K-MART and straight blast thru ladies wear, get a frozen coke icee and head over to the mall for a orange Julius nightcap

Edited: 19 days ago
1/1/01

Because that's what i used to do, except for the blasting, i did inside then outside crescent 360 degree kicks, except after three of four revolutions and 15 feet or so i would angle off and crash into a rack of slips or some shit.

19 days ago
9/9/02
de braco - 

then did you guys go to K-MART and straight blast thru ladies wear, get a frozen coke icee and head over to the mall for a orange Julius nightcap

Nope lol

But we would grab another JKD guy and have ghetto style Dog Brother stick fights in his backyard

Straight blasting each other in motorcycle helmets also!

19 days ago
1/1/01

Man, i miss those icee's. Nectar of the gods. One time a bought a little jensen 22 chrome automatic from K-MART as a tacklebox gun that had the amazing ability to shoot at a right angle. Thank god i was alone when discovering this wondrous phenomenon.