David Jacobs' BJJGround Hugo Duarte: Luta Livre

12 days ago
3/15/15
de braco -

i have it somewhere in the stacks, along with an inside karate from 89' that had rorion and rickson on the cover, i think 87' was their first cover story though. By 90' rorion was riding high and making a killing off the original GIA vhs,  it was $59.95 in 88', adjusted for inflation that's $130 today, that was a little hard to turn loose of. I believe 88' is also when chuck norris and rorion had their falling out over the infamous seminar for chucks' UFAF where chuck only though he was paying for rorion but rorion ended up bringing rolker, relson, renzo ,rillion, royce, rickson, royler and carlos machado

I think you are right. It must've been a martial arts magazine in the mid-1980s that I first read about them.I bought the In Action VHS tapes and still have them somewhere! I'd love to see the magazine covers of those early ones. I probably had them. 

Edited: 10 days ago
1/1/01

about 87' is when they blew up(in martial arts circles that weren't cults, anyway) and rorion had the GIA tape out the next year.

Edit: the chuck norris debacle was 88', i found it on youtube uploaded by jason white

11 days ago
1/1/01
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uNWtHpPnj98

Decent Sambo instructional.
10 days ago
1/1/01

Thanks, that's a good sambo tape, steve was one of the north american sambo og's. He has a sambo encyclopedia being published by turtle press that i'm sure will be well worth the money. He has a book on shingitai jiu jitsu(vital jujitsu) which is also very good and highly recommended.

The 1990 dutch kyokushin summer camp, gerard gordeau, semmy schilt and andy hug are a few in attendance

Edited: 10 days ago
5/23/13
mongrel 911 -
Fast Pitch -
mongrel 911 -

Look at Chuck Norris! you can just feel the testosterone!

I purchased every issue of Karate International.  I miss the magazine days.

I was not a fan of Karate International nor the DePasquales. Official Karate was my fave. 

Oh yea, I had them all, Inside Kung Fu, Black Belt etc, any one remember Full Contact?

Full contact was great, covered vale tudo, FMA, still have all of them I bought

10 days ago
1/1/01

how many bowie, kriss, bali-song knives do you own and how many riddle of steel "vacations" have you taken?

Edited: 9 days ago
1/1/01

2nd tape of the set, circa 2005

8 days ago
1/1/01

A very good tape from the excellent extreme pancrase set, circa 1999'. The high bar for panther

8 days ago
1/1/01
de braco -

how many bowie, kriss, bali-song knives do you own and how many riddle of steel "vacations" have you taken?

I admit guilty to all of the above. The ignorance of youth.

Edited: 8 days ago
1/1/01

Did you go on the jetboat one down the snake river where you would stop on gravel bars and dip wooden knives in talcum powder and begin a west side story type danse de la mort while the rest of the crew stood around you in a circle snapping their fingers?

Animated GIF - Find & Share on GIPHY

8 days ago
1/1/01

Never did the snake river camp but did some other hokey training camps. I always said no to wearing the vests that were popular in the JKD tribe.

8 days ago
1/1/01

how about swathing yourself in spandex with bandannas tied around your biceps and legs, along with one dewragged on your head. it don't get anymore jkd than that. I will admit to owning an early pacific cutlery benchmade balisong in the early eighties, that was one you didn't want to be learning the flips on, one wrong move and you'd be missing an appendage. i wish i hung on to it, the early ones bring a fortune now.

Edited: 8 days ago
1/1/01

just noticed a carlson gracie jr/conan book on ebay offered for $299 buy it now, along with both pedro carvalho books offered for $159 and $99 respectively. these were part of a group of 5 sold last week that brought $51 for all 5, i refused to go over $50

Sad Its Over GIF - Find & Share on GIPHY

Animated GIF - Find & Share on GIPHY

Edit: it was a month ago

Now i see budo videos is trying to one-up that guy by offering the much more common ralph and cesar book for $299.

Madness

8 days ago
5/18/06

Thanks for doing the Lord's work on this thread brah.  Any chance you have heard of, or have, the infamous "Underground SAMBO" tape that was rumored of in the late 90's early 00's? 

The story goes that an American in maybe the late 80s visited various SAMBO academies and recorded techniques, but he would show what he had to the next camp and they would all try to outdo the previous professors showing their best stuff.  I have never seen it but it always was a sort of Holy Grail of underground technique videos.  Thought you or one of the other forum members might know about it.

Edited: 7 days ago
1/1/01

i don't have that one, i think our old friend jeff malott has that one though. He's donated some very rare tapes to the cause before.

7 days ago
1/1/01

Circa 1988. Madness

6 days ago
1/1/01

Holy Crap! The recent conversation here led me down memeory lane about my old Kali days and I found this on the youtube. Jeff Imada!

6 days ago
1/1/01

that's who i bought the bali-song from

6 days ago
8/20/16

The first martial art I ever did seriously was JKD and it had a huge focus on kuntao silat, as taught by Ron Kosakowski, who once fought Chuck Liddel in a kickboxing match.

We basically just trained hair pulling, biting, testical ripping, and eye gouging for 10-20 minutes every class before more sport-oriented stuff. You can see some of it around 1:11 of this video:

Here's some knife stuff:

I don't know how practical it is on it's own, but some of it felt damn practical when mixed in with Kali and sporting stuff like kickboxing and jiu-jitsu. I kind of miss training it.

Now that I've done boxing, kickboxing, Judo and am a brown belt in BJJ, I would love to start incorporating some of this stuff again. I'm definitely a sport guy now. I got in an altercation in the street last year and walked away really unhappy with how I reacted to it. I treated it like a grappling class, but it was instinctive.

6 days ago
1/1/01
blabbermouth -

The first martial art I ever did seriously was JKD and it had a huge focus on kuntao silat, as taught by Ron Kosakowski, who once fought Chuck Liddel in a kickboxing match.

We basically just trained hair pulling, biting, testical ripping, and eye gouging for 10-20 minutes every class before more sport-oriented stuff. You can see some of it around 1:11 of this video:

Here's some knife stuff:

I don't know how practical it is on it's own, but some of it felt damn practical when mixed in with Kali and sporting stuff like kickboxing and jiu-jitsu. I kind of miss training it.

Now that I've done boxing, kickboxing, Judo and am a brown belt in BJJ, I would love to start incorporating some of this stuff again. I'm definitely a sport guy now. I got in an altercation in the street last year and walked away really unhappy with how I reacted to it. I treated it like a grappling class, but it was instinctive.

Trust me, you do not want to attempt that stuff against a edged weapon.

6 days ago
1/1/01
blabbermouth -

Here's some knife stuff:

that was a pancrase rules match, open hand. i seem to remember him getting a warning for attempted eye gouges right before the jkd got knocked out of his head via a roundhouse kick to the neck. Chuck was a beast back then and jkdude had no business being in there with him, it was like a child fighting an adult

6 days ago
1/1/01

The power of Jeet Kune Do!

6 days ago
1/1/01

thanks, the quality leaves a bit to be desired, it's on the liddell/adams instructionals, i'll upload a decent version when the tigermask pro-shooting gets thru encoding. it looks like jkd's first fight, plodding forward hands down, asking for the kick to the side of the neck/jaw, in this case, ask and you shall receive. i've noticed that only seems to hold true for negative shit

6 days ago
10/22/02
Second request for "Underground Sambo" please.
6 days ago
7/20/04
blabbermouth -

Here's some knife stuff:

I believe sport instinct is real and a big risk to the wrong kind of training - what's the story on your street situation?