David Jacobs' BJJGround Its never good to hurt anyone during training but

27 days ago
1/1/01
You need to actually tell him that his attitude is fucked up. If you just wipe the mat with him, there's a good chance he'll take that to mean "oh, rolling hard and fucking people up is how it's done, I should keep doing it".

I understand the concept of "greenlighting" someone but it doesn't teach them any lesson if they don't understand why it's being done.
27 days ago
6/4/02
Tomato Can - You need to actually tell him that his attitude is fucked up. If you just wipe the mat with him, there's a good chance he'll take that to mean "oh, rolling hard and fucking people up is how it's done, I should keep doing it".

I understand the concept of "greenlighting" someone but it doesn't teach them any lesson if they don't understand why it's being done.

This.  Talk to him....then green light him.

27 days ago
4/2/13
Sometimes my wife lets me porrada -

No time limit rounds, only can tap to legit submissions, position or pressure don't count.  Humility in a nutshell. Problem solved.

27 days ago
7/10/09
Tomato Can - You need to actually tell him that his attitude is fucked up. If you just wipe the mat with him, there's a good chance he'll take that to mean "oh, rolling hard and fucking people up is how it's done, I should keep doing it".

I hear you, but its not my school and not my paying student.  I tell the guy he is a dick --> he gets embarressed --> he goes somewhere else to train --> black belt is out $150 a month.  Yes, i know its the same outcome if he got hurt.

Im not going to go running to the BB and tell him dude talks crap either.  That's tattle telling, and the BB already knows he is a weirdo.

26 days ago
3/6/07

Op forgot rule #2 of bjj. 

Leave your ego at the door. 

Who the fuck cares what he says. Martial arts brings a lot of weirdos, don’t take everything so seriously. 

26 days ago
1/1/01
N5Z - 

I hear you, but its not my school and not my paying student.  I tell the guy he is a dick --> he gets embarressed --> he goes somewhere else to train --> black belt is out $150 a month.  Yes, i know its the same outcome if he got hurt.

Im not going to go running to the BB and tell him dude talks crap either.  That's tattle telling, and the BB already knows he is a weirdo.

Having the guy around being a dickhead with a bad attitude potentially hurting people has a good chance of chasing other students away too. You don't have to tell him "you're a dick" but you should tell him that it's not good practice to talk about training like that and that it doesn't create a good training atmosphere.

If you're a senior student you should be a bit of an authority figure, at least when it comes to gym etiquette.
26 days ago
7/10/09
jkd4200 -

Op forgot rule #2 of bjj. 

Leave your ego at the door. 

Who the fuck cares what he says. Martial arts brings a lot of weirdos, don’t take everything so seriously. 

Am  posting this in fun. 

Its comical to me that the stereotype can still be found at random.  Martial arts instructor who trains bjj, rolls to win at risk to injury then talks about all the guys he has beat.  

Am probably visiting the gym again sometime this week.  If I catch a choke and he refuses to tap, for sure Ill make him nap.  Otherwise, Ill just make sure I dont get caught so Im not added to the list of guys he has tapped(gotta protect my ego).  If he starts talking again, Ill do the adult thing Tomato suggested.