David Jacobs' BJJGround Its never good to hurt anyone during training but

26 days ago
7/10/09

I met a kind of annoying guy the other day.  He teaches a different martial art but has been training bjj for at least 5 years or so.  Athletic guy, the kind of guy who rolls easy until he gets a sub then goes balls to the wall.  Also, refuses to tap so Ive been letting him get out of joint locks.

After class he comes up to me and tells me that Im really good.  I say thanks.  He tells me that he taps a lot of black belts and brown belts but I give him a really tough roll.  Im annoyed/amused but I say thanks again.  He then goes on to tell me the names of a few black belts he has tapped, a few of which are my friends.  I nod but now Im more than slightly annoyed.

I would never purposefully hurt anyone during training but... what if I simply let someone hurt themselves.  Keep a hold and allow someone to roll the wrong way, popping an elbow/shoulder/knee... would that be wrong?

26 days ago
5/7/06

Ignore joint locks. Strangles and pressure taps only. No need to hurt him, just attitude adjustment. 

26 days ago
8/28/10

26 days ago
7/10/09
Daniël Bertina -

Ignore joint locks. Strangles and pressure taps only. No need to hurt him, just attitude adjustment. 

I previously gave him an 8 minute round of 'shoulder of justice' and knee rides.  Maybe just not well enough. 

Am in a bad mood this week and people seem to seek me out to talk shit about other people's jiu jitsu.  Wish people would keep their shit talking anonymous and on the internet like I try to do. 

26 days ago
10/14/06

What belt are you?

26 days ago
1/1/01
there's no shame giving someone a wake up call. If they get hurt in the process, so be it.

I remember, years ago, I was rolling with this purple belt and I was as gentle as a lamb with him. Took him down, passed his guard, mounted, did an armlock, extended the arm but didn't lift my hips at all. Just let him try to get away until he realized he was stuck and tapped, which he did. A few months later I ran into him at another club and he had a brace on his arm and I asked him what happened, and he said "you hurt my arm" and I was surprised because I hadn't even tried to finish the armlock. Had he tapped out, he would've been totally fine, but he chose to pop his own arm by trying to get away. So be it.
25 days ago
1/30/15
ogjune - 

What belt are you?

?
25 days ago
3/15/15
No wake up call needed. Simply ask" Oh you sound really good, which tournaments were you in where you tapped all these black and brown belts"? "Oh, it was just training? Gotcha." and walk away.

A lot of idiots that want to hype themselves up by bragging and knocking others down. I have caught some good grapplers including one black belt but I just let the submission go and continued grappling to avoid stupid shit like this.
25 days ago
5/8/11

Spread rumors that he is fucking one if the other students wife and he was kicked out of gyms for being inappropriate with female students

25 days ago
8/28/10
Romo Detector 2015 -
ogjune - 

What belt are you?

?

Pretty sure he's a brown belt

25 days ago
8/28/10
fnunderful -

Spread rumors that he is fucking one if the other students wife and he was kicked out of gyms for being inappropriate with female students

In the kids class!!

25 days ago
7/10/09
ogjune -

What belt are you?

Brown.  Am mostly being facetious about hurting the guy... mostly.

25 days ago
10/28/08
HotSteppa - No wake up call needed. Simply ask" Oh you sound really good, which tournaments were you in where you tapped all these black and brown belts"? "Oh, it was just training? Gotcha." and walk away.

A lot of idiots that want to hype themselves up by bragging and knocking others down. I have caught some good grapplers including one black belt but I just let the submission go and continued grappling to avoid stupid shit like this.

It looks like you failed to avoid it.  You just bragged about submitting a black belt without even submitting a black belt.

25 days ago
5/8/11
N5Z -
ogjune -

What belt are you?

Brown.  Am mostly being facetious about hurting the guy... mostly.

It has always been my understanding that it is the individuals responsibility to tap.  Maybe white and new blues are too dumb but everyone else...if you aren't tapping and you break...that is your own fault and that makes you a shitty training partner. 

25 days ago
3/18/02

why would you let him out of a joint lock?  Make him tap.  

Switch your strategy and choke him til he sleeps if he doesnt tap

seriously

25 days ago
5/8/11
BigEyedFish -

seriously

Just be sure to have water ready to pour in his lap...nothing more humiliating than waking up surrounded by people laughing at you because you pissed yourself.

25 days ago
8/28/10
fnunderful -
BigEyedFish -

seriously

Just be sure to have water ready to pour in his lap...nothing more humiliating than waking up surrounded by people laughing at you because you pissed yourself.

Or use slimy milk and have everyone look disgusted like he got off on it

25 days ago
3/15/15
Setree - 
HotSteppa - No wake up call needed. Simply ask" Oh you sound really good, which tournaments were you in where you tapped all these black and brown belts"? "Oh, it was just training? Gotcha." and walk away.

It looks like you failed to avoid it.  You just bragged about submitting a black belt without even submitting a black belt.

I was waiting patiently for someone to call me on my humble brag -congrats!
Seriously, I have a rule that I will never tap anyone of any belt color if they are running the class. I caught a black belt in an arm-lock once, held it and let it go. His students were watching, and it is not a tournament. I also went to a class where a purple belt was running it, we grappled and I had him but let it go, and let him be the hero in front of his students by allowing him to arm-lock me. The thing is, the person KNOWS you caught them, so there is no need to go any further.
25 days ago
8/20/16

How can you roll with him in a way that will improve your skills?

I think you're forgetting why you're training, tbh.

24 days ago
6/4/02

That’s what enforcers are for.

24 days ago
4/27/18
HotSteppa -
Setree - 

Seriously, I have a rule that I will never tap anyone of any belt color if they are running the class. I caught a black belt in an arm-lock once, held it and let it go. His students were watching, and it is not a tournament. I also went to a class where a purple belt was running it, we grappled and I had him but let it go, and let him be the hero in front of his students by allowing him to arm-lock me. The thing is, the person KNOWS you caught them, so there is no need to go any further.

i do this at schools i visit. I never try to submit the first few times i attend.

24 days ago
10/28/08
HotSteppa -
Setree - 

If you don’t pull the trigger, then you don’t even get to make the claim of win while practicing.  You are a step away from a step away.

22 days ago
10/1/03
fnunderful -
BigEyedFish -

seriously

Or just drag him to the side and leave the mop and bucket next to him for when he wakes up.  And he better know how to do that correctly.

22 days ago
5/8/11
FCTV808 -
fnunderful -
BigEyedFish -

seriously

Or just drag him to the side and leave the mop and bucket next to him for when he wakes up.  And he better know how to do that correctly.

Kumamoto life lessons?

22 days ago
10/1/03
fnunderful -
FCTV808 -
fnunderful -
BigEyedFish -

seriously

Kumamoto life lessons?

Exactly