David Jacobs' BJJGround I’ve been a black belt long enough

3/14/19 12:27 PM
2/28/03

I think it’s time to give out lots of life advice to adults and children.  

Learning to choke (strangle) others has put life in a perspective that few can understand.  I need to share this with the world 

3/14/19 2:00 PM
11/11/11

Why cant you just keep it real like other black belt instructors and just start sleeping with your female students and talking on the phone after you show a move?

3/14/19 4:05 PM
8/17/08

looking forward to your thoughts on nutriton as well. OSS

3/14/19 5:49 PM
4/27/18

Well at least you have a black belt. So many people decide to give out life advice who haven't accomplished anything and are complete morons.

3/14/19 7:48 PM
2/28/03
PerformativeGayBDSM -

On a serious note: Aren't you a mental health professional as your side gig? After so many hours of having to just listen to people bitch about situations they put themselves in I think it's perfectly natural to want to say what's on your mind for once.

Yes. I am clinical director for a sub acute detox and residential treatment center.   So the thing I’m qualified to say is “say no to drugs”

3/14/19 9:03 PM
10/3/02

Boy howdy.  Now I choke myself too.

3/15/19 3:04 AM
5/30/03

You should give a 90 day report of interesting aspects of opening a gym. Things you like. Things you're annoyed by. Business stuff. Everything 

3/15/19 9:04 AM
1/1/01

Btw I really liked your side control escapes dvd. 

3/15/19 10:11 AM
2/28/03
Fast Pitch -

Awesome.   Thanks.  I am coming out with a dvd expanding on it next month 

3/15/19 10:14 AM
2/28/03
The Maestro -

You should give a 90 day report of interesting aspects of opening a gym. Things you like. Things you're annoyed by. Business stuff. Everything 

It costs more money than I thought. 

I thought we’d be all in at 20k. We are at 50 and I still have work I need done

many people are flakes. They don’t pick up the phone or no show, even if you qualify them 

it’s hard to find a good digital marketing company that knows what they are doing and delivers

teaching bjj is the absolute easiest part of the process.  I love doing it.  

3/15/19 10:26 AM
1/13/06

you've been a black belt long enugh now to start giving financial investment adviceand advice on trades, such as electrical work, plumbing, gas etc

3/15/19 10:44 AM
12/1/00
checkuroil - 
The Maestro -

many people are flakes. They don’t pick up the phone or no show, even if you qualify them 

it’s hard to find a good digital marketing company that knows what they are doing and delivers

Best wishes man- the gym looks awesome. When I saw your vid/pics of the build out, I knew it was going to cost a ton of money.

(I've had my own school for 7 years, and my favorite part is teaching too- the business side doesn't appeal to me either)
3/15/19 10:54 AM
12/1/00
Back to the original post- some of my closest friends and people I look up to are black belts.

Having said that- I've been training since 2000, and I have seen so much bad behavior and lack of character coming from many black belts...that it doesn't impress me when academies "brag" about how many black belts they have, or how many they have on the mat during their training sessions.

Ryan Hall's pdf file on martial arts and hero worship is good reading for anyone that looks up to someone just because of their belt color.

http://livingthemartialarts.com/
3/15/19 11:14 AM
1/1/01

CUO, update your profile here to point to your school ... unless you want to hide that from us degenerates lol.  Also looking forward to life advice from the CULT OF CUO!

3/15/19 12:25 PM
2/6/15

I would like a sip of your Kool-aid

3/15/19 12:27 PM
2/8/11

My instructor was telling me though that he would get students that would ask him for plain old life advice. He's a very unassuming guy and doesn't pretend to have all the answers, but he would still get guys: "Oh man, jiu jitsu has changed my life, I'm more confident, etc etc, anyway I'm having trouble at home, do you think I should leave my wife?"

I think we look up to the instructor as someone with all the answers because they already know way more than us on the jiu jitsu front. We naturally assume that they must be all knowing and wise in every other aspect in life as well.

3/15/19 3:33 PM
1/1/01
checkuroil -
Fast Pitch -

Awesome.   Thanks.  I am coming out with a dvd expanding on it next month 

Nice. 

3/15/19 4:47 PM
12/18/03
nogidavid - 

you've been a black belt long enugh now to start giving financial investment adviceand advice on trades, such as electrical work, plumbing, gas etc

Dude, both you guys have been BB longer than I have and I feel qualified to give spiritual and philosophical advice.

3/15/19 6:44 PM
5/30/03
checkuroil -
The Maestro -

What do you find harder,  teaching or the business side? 

3/15/19 10:21 PM
10/27/03
checkuroil -

Learning to choke (strangle) others has put life in a perspective that few can understand.  I need to share this with the world 

You shouldn’t be giving life advice until you’ve perfected your Rickson stare.

Thats where most go wrong imo 

3/16/19 12:00 AM
1/1/01
checkuroil - 

did you suddenly join atos or something while we weren't looking?
3/16/19 12:02 AM
2/28/03
The Maestro -
checkuroil -
The Maestro -

What do you find harder,  teaching or the business side? 

Teaching is easy. I’ve done it for 15 years 

3/16/19 12:03 AM
2/28/03
yusul -
checkuroil - 

did you suddenly join atos or something while we weren't looking?

RibeiroJJ with Saulo and Xande 

3/16/19 12:51 AM
1/1/01
i was joking.
3/16/19 6:51 AM
7/23/05
the self inflicted train wreck stories you must have. would make an outstanding book