David Jacobs' BJJGround Jiujitsu is all about learning about yourself

6 days ago
1/1/01

Keenan Cornelius makes several good points in this video. But the point that really stood out to me was practicing jiujitsu is essentially learning about yourself. Jiujitsu is not only physically expressing yourself but it is also physical self discovery. There are certain aspects of Jiujitsu which are personal and unique to the individual!

6 days ago
11/10/05
I'm struggling a bit with epilepsy right now, that came out of nowhere a few months ago...
I'm on meds that have been difficult to adjust to.
I've been doing a lot of self reflection in the mean time...
My main goal is to stay positive in a way that I'll be able to look back and be proud of how I faced it and to also make sure that I'm the example that I want my kids to use...not some famous person.

Sure there's some lessons in the details, but that overlooks the fact that the entire premise of the story is wrong (rabbit and the hare).
Life isn't even a race against the Joneses or anyone else.
It's a journey unique to each individual.
Being positive isn't always easy when things are difficult.
You just got to embrace each struggle in a way that you're proud of how you handled it when you look back from the other side.

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10214977915912966&set=a.1242230987500.35548.1581097125&type=3
6 days ago
11/10/05
5/4/18
“Don't pray for easy lives. Pray to be stronger men.”
-JFK

I chose my son Chris’ name after Christopher Reeves. I was thinking not just of a person that he should look up to, but the qualities of the person that I’d want him to emulate. While there’s nothing wrong with achieving through hard work and perseverance, I think there’s something about seeing the true nature of someone when they face the challenge of having so much taken from them so suddenly. It’s no longer about what you would do or be. Those inspirational quotes are a dime a dozen on FB. Once shit gets real, you’d be surprised at how many “savages”, “warriors” and “great guys” have some excuse to give themselves an out. Pretend all you want. It’s not about pretending to be fearless. You simply either “do” or you “don’t”. And those who “do” are few and far between. It’s a lot like mma or bjj competition. Everyone who gets out there earns the respect of those who do. The result is secondary. Putting yourself out there and laying it on the line is what matters. You risk falling far short from that comfortable world where you want to pretend you live.

I’ve had a week to think things over, be angry and even sorry for myself. You never know if you have it easy or hard. It’s all relative to what you compare it to. Not that I want to hear others remind me of this from the comfort of their outside view.
Time to be grateful to have the opportunity to be the example that I would want my kids to strive to be. I’m still not sure exactly what that is. I know I’ve done a damn good job or surrounding myself with good people. Just got to figure out the rest as I go.
4 days ago
2/20/09
Meatgrinder - I'm struggling a bit with epilepsy right now, that came out of nowhere a few months ago...
My main goal is to stay positive in a way that I'll be able to look back and be proud of how I faced it and to also make sure that I'm the example that I want my kids to use...not some famous person.

Sure there's some lessons in the details, but that overlooks the fact that the entire premise of the story is wrong (rabbit and the hare).
You just got to embrace each struggle in a way that you're proud of how you handled it when you look back from the other side.

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10214977915912966&set=a.1242230987500.35548.1581097125&type=3

I’m sorry to hear that.

We had a bit of a go on a political thread a while back and I was less than kind but I hope that shit works out for you and that this post finds you feeling good and doing well.

Just because we don’t always agree doesn’t mean we can’t be friends :)

4 days ago
11/10/05
donkypunch55 - 
Meatgrinder - I'm struggling a bit with epilepsy right now, that came out of nowhere a few months ago...

I’m sorry to hear that.

We had a bit of a go on a political thread a while back and I was less than kind but I hope that shit works out for you and that this post finds you feeling good and doing well.

Just because we don’t always agree doesn’t mean we can’t be friends :)

It's all good. I try to keep in mind that most people are doing things with what they think are good intentions. We're all just looking at the situation through different lenses.

Yeah I kind of poured a bit of my heart into those 2 posts, but the OP, especially the title, just hit really close to home. BJJ has played a big part of my recent life philosophy...I'm not talking about bjj technique like keenan was. I'm talking about mental approach, whether it's competing or training since anxiety, stress, frustration, etc. can be triggers for seizures. So the bjj cliches have taken on real meaning to me on a day to day basis.

It's a bit of a timely post too because I'm reflecting on trying to compete at the boston open in a couple weeks. My meds are fucking me up a bit making me tired. I've got a neurology appt next week to see if I should switch meds. I've also got to make sure that the anxiety of competing doesn't trigger a seizure in the middle of the comp! But I don't want my world to close in around me. I've already got to give up scuba diving. So this comp is more of a personal struggle to make sure I can control what I'm able to do.

4 days ago
1/1/01

Sorry to hear about this Meatgrinder, wish you the best in handling the situation.  In the grand scheme of things, giving up scuba and maybe even a competition or two isn't much.  Good luck.

3 days ago
11/16/03

Ttt