4 days ago
2/20/09

4 days ago
2/20/09
donkypunch55 -

I just got one and everything that has been said in reviews is spot on.

Its a double weave.  Sorta.  I have a Tank and an Armor (Panda) and this ain’t those.

But.

Man, it’s still thick and stiff and rough.

Its also gorgeous.  I got black.

the sizing is also wonky.  I wear an A2 in everything (except the Tank, that’s A3 because Tatami sucks) But got the JudoFly in an A1L and it’s perfect.

I have 12 Gi’s from Shoyoroll to Hyabusa to Tatami to etc... and this thing destroys them all.

Not cheap at $230 and worth every penny.

4 days ago
2/20/09

Ask away......

4 days ago
2/20/09

I also just ordered an Isami double weave.

Review to follow.

4 days ago
2/20/09

I have a double weave problem.

4 days ago
2/20/09

I’m looking at a Dragao (1230gsm!!) but it’s $300.

1 day ago
2/26/07
you like heavy? fushida icon...not sure if youll thank me or curse me haha
1 day ago
2/20/09
TheThrill - you like heavy? fushida icon...not sure if youll thank me or curse me haha

I do.  Good stuff, I’ll check it out today!  Thank you.

1 day ago
1/1/01
I've recommended fushida several times....icon double weave and tournament 1.5weave. Way better than mizunos in cut/fit. These heavy BJJ gis seem to all have full weave tops, so it you like a heavy gio, but traiditonal skirt, fushida are great option.

Their fitment charts are very good. I'm built funny and BJJ gis with their style of cut usually doesn't work out for me unless they are more judostyle fit. My Fuji all rounder fit well, but my fushida COMPGS is too short in torso, I'm not into using my lapels, so I don't like it easy to pull out of belt.

Old style atama good weave or double weaves were great. Original Machado, Howard's, etc were all great because of the roomier fitt for torso and longer traditional style skirt.
1 day ago
12/7/10

I own 5 BJJ gis, and all but one are from Hyperfly.  

I ordered the JudoFly a while ago when they only had it available in white.  They have since released it in black: https://www.hyperflybrand.com/products/judofly-gi

As someone who did a lot of judo prior to getting back into BJJ, the gi appealed to me and I purchased it, despite the somewhat hefty price.

My thoughts upon reflection:

- I was kind of bummed out when I saw somebody post this on Reddit: "As a Japanese guy the katakana belts and gis are hilarious to me. The best worst one is the hyperfly judo gi which has katakana of you can't teach heart- not a translation into Japanese, but literally says 'yoo kanto teech harto.'"  That does sound a bit ridiculous, and even though the writing looks cool, I could understand why anybody who understands Japanese might be snickering if they saw me wearing it.

- Like some of the judo gis I own, it is sturdy and fairly heavy.  

- At about the same time I bought the JudoFly, I also bought the StarLyte: https://www.hyperflybrand.com/collections/kimonos-gis/products/starlyte

- About a year later, I find that I wear the StarLyte way more often than the JudoFly.  As somebody who sweats by the bucket, the StarLyte is probably the most comfortable gi I have ever worn.  It's also relatively cheap at $99 (albeit it is not a legal gi). 

- The heavier tank gis don't bother me so much in judo (in fact, I would not want a light gi that is easier to grip in judo), but when you're trapped on the wrong side of side control in BJJ and you are potnentially going to be stuck there for a long time, and your body is overheating because your gi is so heavy, it's not a good feeling, at least not for me.

- Given that there's been a heatwave lately, I probably won't take my JudoFly off the hanger until Fall.

Overall, it's a nice gi, and other students in my class have complimented me on it, but I just sweat too much for it to be comfortable, and I prefer the StarLyte for BJJ.  Haven't trained judo in a while, but I am thinking about taking the JudoFly the next time that I do and seeing how it holds up (presuming the sensei at the dojo doesn't make me change it for being too flashy).    

16 hours ago
2/20/09
Sgt. Slaphead - I've recommended fushida several times....icon double weave and tournament 1.5weave. Way better than mizunos in cut/fit. These heavy BJJ gis seem to all have full weave tops, so it you like a heavy gio, but traiditonal skirt, fushida are great option.

Their fitment charts are very good. I'm built funny and BJJ gis with their style of cut usually doesn't work out for me unless they are more judostyle fit. My Fuji all rounder fit well, but my fushida COMPGS is too short in torso, I'm not into using my lapels, so I don't like it easy to pull out of belt.

Old style atama good weave or double weaves were great. Original Machado, Howard's, etc were all great because of the roomier fitt for torso and longer traditional style skirt.

Funny the only reason I haven’t ordered the Fushida Icon yet is I am unfamiliar with Judo sizing.

16 hours ago
2/20/09
Seong gyeong -

I own 5 BJJ gis, and all but one are from Hyperfly.  

I ordered the JudoFly a while ago when they only had it available in white.  They have since released it in black: https://www.hyperflybrand.com/products/judofly-gi

As someone who did a lot of judo prior to getting back into BJJ, the gi appealed to me and I purchased it, despite the somewhat hefty price.

My thoughts upon reflection:

- I was kind of bummed out when I saw somebody post this on Reddit: "As a Japanese guy the katakana belts and gis are hilarious to me. The best worst one is the hyperfly judo gi which has katakana of you can't teach heart- not a translation into Japanese, but literally says 'yoo kanto teech harto.'"  That does sound a bit ridiculous, and even though the writing looks cool, I could understand why anybody who understands Japanese might be snickering if they saw me wearing it.

- Like some of the judo gis I own, it is sturdy and fairly heavy.  

- At about the same time I bought the JudoFly, I also bought the StarLyte: https://www.hyperflybrand.com/collections/kimonos-gis/products/starlyte

- About a year later, I find that I wear the StarLyte way more often than the JudoFly.  As somebody who sweats by the bucket, the StarLyte is probably the most comfortable gi I have ever worn.  It's also relatively cheap at $99 (albeit it is not a legal gi). 

- The heavier tank gis don't bother me so much in judo (in fact, I would not want a light gi that is easier to grip in judo), but when you're trapped on the wrong side of side control in BJJ and you are potnentially going to be stuck there for a long time, and your body is overheating because your gi is so heavy, it's not a good feeling, at least not for me.

- Given that there's been a heatwave lately, I probably won't take my JudoFly off the hanger until Fall.

Overall, it's a nice gi, and other students in my class have complimented me on it, but I just sweat too much for it to be comfortable, and I prefer the StarLyte for BJJ.  Haven't trained judo in a while, but I am thinking about taking the JudoFly the next time that I do and seeing how it holds up (presuming the sensei at the dojo doesn't make me change it for being too flashy).    

Haha, damn it, I wasn’t aware the translation was that silly!  

Oh well.  It’s an awesome Gi and I’m very happy with it.  I got the black and it’s gorgeous.

I like the heavy doubles for training.  You’re spot on about getting stuck in a bad spot wearing a snowsuit though, lol.

As far as double weaves go, I have the Tank, Panda Armor, Judo-Fly and I’m getting an Isami delivered tomorrow.

I really want the Dragoa Tribal but am wary because of the complete lack of reviews online.

9 hours ago
1/1/01
donkypunch55 - 
Sgt. Slaphead - I've recommended fushida several times....icon double weave and tournament 1.5weave. Way better than mizunos in cut/fit. These heavy BJJ gis seem to all have full weave tops, so it you like a heavy gio, but traiditonal skirt, fushida are great option.

Funny the only reason I haven’t ordered the Fushida Icon yet is I am unfamiliar with Judo sizing.

They have a really good sizing chart and respond quick to sizing questions. They'll ask about measurement of a current gi that fits and make a recommendation
Edited: 6 hours ago
2/20/09
Sgt. Slaphead -
donkypunch55 - 

They have a really good sizing chart and respond quick to sizing questions. They'll ask about measurement of a current gi that fits and make a recommendation

That’s fantastic.

I’ll get an email sent immediately.  Thanks for the help.