David Jacobs' BJJGround Keenan asked to leave Atos

6 days ago
4/26/13

https://www.flograppling.com/articles/6444367-exclusive-keenan-cornelius-leaves-atos

The funny thing about this is I've been thinking something is funny there for a few months.  When he did that long podcast with Flo he was talking about how he only really trains 4 times a week (or something like that).  When he said that all I could think about is how does Andre think that's OK?  He's like the king of busting his ass.

Then I randomly noticed I never see him with an Atos patch on, but whatever.

But when I really knew it was only a matter of time was a few days ago when he posted this long instagram story about people in leadership positions not telling those below them how to live their lives.  Yeah, wonder who that's about? lol

I'm sure there are two sides to this story.  Keenan is very intelligent and I could see him being stuck in his ways.  Andre is a hard worker and the results show for themselves.  I'm sure both parties will be fine.

6 days ago
2/28/03

Can’t have two kings in one kingdom 

5 days ago
1/1/01
Keenan posted a video a few week ago where he was at the gym rather than at class because he turned up late and Andre sent him away. So there probably have been some niggling issues going on for a while.

Keenan's always been in a tough position there because he was in the same division as Galvao. So he was never going to get priority. And I would bet the situation is the same now with the newer names (Duarte etc). I wouldn't be too surprised if there was some favouritism being perceived towards these guys from Galvao that Keenan wasn't pleased about.
5 days ago
1/1/01

I like Keenan. Good for him. 

5 days ago
2/9/09

Ive heard Keenan was kind of a strange guy, I wonder what caused this?

5 days ago
10/23/09

Keenan should join Checkmat or Unity.

5 days ago
1/1/01
Muffinho -

I’d rather see him at Renzo/DDS (unlikely) or on his own. 

5 days ago
10/23/09
Fast Pitch -
Muffinho -

If he has competitive goals, I doubt he'll open his own gym now. Plus, I think he needs to affilaite with someone to promote people past blue belt.

5 days ago
5/11/08
Sir Taps - Keenan posted a video a few week ago where he was at the gym rather than at class because he turned up late and Andre sent him away. So there probably have been some niggling issues going on for a while.

Keenan's always been in a tough position there because he was in the same division as Galvao. So he was never going to get priority. And I would bet the situation is the same now with the newer names (Duarte etc). I wouldn't be too surprised if there was some favouritism being perceived towards these guys from Galvao that Keenan wasn't pleased about.

Yeah I have a feeling this is the issue. World's is coming up and atos has a lot of guys in the bigger divisions. 

5 days ago
4/26/13
Muffinho -

I don’t think the training 4 days a week thing will fly at unity 

5 days ago
1/1/01
Muffinho -
Fast Pitch -
Muffinho -

If he has competitive goals, I doubt he'll open his own gym now. Plus, I think he needs to affilaite with someone to promote people past blue belt.

Why not? I thought 1st degree black belts could promote all the way to black. 

5 days ago
2/28/03

I dont think he should go to another big team at this moment.  He needs to find a professor who will devote themselves to him, not ten other guys.  

Hard training with current champs is a little overrated. Perfect practice is more important 

5 days ago
5/30/03
Sir Taps - Keenan posted a video a few week ago where he was at the gym rather than at class because he turned up late and Andre sent him away. So there probably have been some niggling issues going on for a while.

For you guys that saw these long videos can you post them?  I can't find them on his instagram 

5 days ago
10/5/11

False. He never said Andre turned him away. I wacthed that video and he said he didn't show up because he would be a few minutes late and they have a strict tardy policy. He went to the gym instead.

5 days ago
10/5/11
checkuroil -

I dont think he should go to another big team at this moment.  He needs to find a professor who will devote themselves to him, not ten other guys.  

Hard training with current champs is a little overrated. Perfect practice is more important 

Keennan, Mike perez, Josh Hinger, Lucas Barbosa, Gustavo Batista, Kaynan Duarte all disagree with you. Definitely not overrated. 

Edited: 5 days ago
7/30/03
Muffinho -
Fast Pitch -
Muffinho -

If what you say is true then what if he didn’t affiliate with anyone else, would all his students be forced to compete at blue belt level no matter how good they get?

5 days ago
1/1/01
Jake95 - 

False. He never said Andre turned him away. I wacthed that video and he said he didn't show up because he would be a few minutes late and they have a strict tardy policy. He went to the gym instead.

That was it, I remember now.
5 days ago
3/20/14

Keenan seems a lot mellower and less given to dogma than Galvao, and yet it works for him. Wasn't Rickson's work ethic and ideas questioned by Rorion and hence contributed to him doing his own thing back in the day? Damm, let Keenan practice as he sees fit.

5 days ago
1/1/01
Sir Taps - Keenan posted a video a few week ago where he was at the gym rather than at class because he turned up late and Andre sent him away. So there probably have been some niggling issues going on for a while.

probably. Word on the street for awhile has been that Galvao will favor brazilian talent over american talent (esp when closing out divisions) and that could def have something to do w it. But who knows really in the end.
5 days ago
7/18/05
circusmonkey -

Keenan seems a lot mellower and less given to dogma than Galvao, and yet it works for him. Wasn't Rickson's work ethic and ideas questioned by Rorion and hence contributed to him doing his own thing back in the day? Damm, let Keenan practice as he sees fit.

I remember a up and coming brown belt left because of he didn't like how the practices went either. I think he was a light or middle weight, eventually went to Clarkes or Tudors? Wicked lasso. Wish I could remember his name.

5 days ago
6/23/09

Sub

5 days ago
5/30/03
Calhoon -
Muffinho -
Fast Pitch -
Muffinho -

If what you say is true then what if he didn’t affiliate with anyone else, would all his students be forced to compete at blue belt level no matter how good they get?

He will be able to sign off on people up to brown belt. I believe that the ibjjf requires a head professor to be 2nd degree black before appointing blacks 

5 days ago
1/1/01
The Closed Guard - 

Ive heard Keenan was kind of a strange guy, I wonder what caused this?

Well, if there's ONE thing BJJ doesn't tolerate, it's strange people!

5 days ago
10/23/12
The Maestro -
Calhoon -
Muffinho -
Fast Pitch -
Muffinho -

He will be able to sign off on people up to brown belt. I believe that the ibjjf requires a head professor to be 2nd degree black before appointing blacks 

Hopefully he got his black belt certificate when he got promoted. Or else he’s IBJJFucked. ??????

5 days ago
5/30/03
IpponOmoPlata -
The Maestro -
Calhoon -
Muffinho -
Fast Pitch -
Muffinho -

Hopefully he got his black belt certificate when he got promoted. Or else he’s IBJJFucked. ??????

No. He has to register each year to compete at black. He's recognized as a black by ibjjf. To receive his certification he would need to take a referee course and pay for the cert.